How much effort do you need to hit 2000-4000 points per pvp?

Options
HoundofShadow
HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I was looking at the top scorers for the current Mind Gem Season. They currently have close to 7000 points. The first PvP that begins with the Mind Gem was Blade's PvP. The second one, which is Kraven's PvP, is ongoing or it might have ended for some of you.

This means that those top scorers are hitting at least 2000 points per PvP. The rest of the points come from SHIELD Simulator.

I'm curious how much effort and how much investment in multiple shieldings are needed to get to 2000 points within 3 days in a PvP.

I could get to ~750 without using shield but seconds later my score would drop to 600 plus.

I read about shielding and hopping to get to 900, and some kind of coordination through LINE. But 2000? Wouldn't those players be getting 10-30 points when they reach over 1000 points? Assuming they throw up a 75HP shield per 50 points, they would have spent at least ((2000-900)/50)*75 = 1650 HP. Are my train of thoughts correct and am I missing something else?

Am I right to say that only players with (boosted) champed 4* or 5* can hit 2000 points? When I reach ~750 points, I'm already seeing opponents using characters' hp that are 2 to 3 times more than mine. Their levels twice of my strongest characters.

Also, what's the highest score you have seen in any single PvP? The highest I have seen is around 1800.

Comments

• PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Players collude to hop off each other all event and inflate scores that high.  It's more about being in the right room and surrounding yourself with people that won't hit you unless you are shielded than having a really big roster, but yeah almost all of the 2k+ rosters will have champed 5s.
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes, only players with (boosted) champed 4* or 5* can hit 2000 points at SCL7 and higher.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing that changes the calculation is that the coordination allows higher point value matches to be found and put in the queue.  Higher score players give you more points when you beat their teams.  So one person near the top of the leaderboard tells others they are unshielding, hit some matches, and shields.  The others have found the first person, hit them after shielding, and a win is worth a lot more than 10-30 points.  It could be up to 75, but let’s say they are in the 50-60 point range.  So you can maybe halve your estimate to around 800 HP spent on shields, but people definitely spend on shields to get that high.  They aren’t just cruising up to the top (perhaps a couple players with 550 5’s can get pretty high before shielding, but most are spending on shields and spending a lot of time setting up matches at the right time).

So are you going to spend a significant amount of money on the game?  Are you going to schedule your life around Shield expiration times?  CAN you do these things?  That’s what’s required for tippy top scores, so the effort is put in for the reward.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The highest single event score were 2 6250 events a year and a half ago, which stood for a year until it was set at just over 7000 about half a year ago.
    The highest Sim score is just over 10k.

And Blade event was over 2k, yes. By a lot..
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Daiches said:
    The highest single event score were 2 6250 events a year and a half ago, which stood for a year until it was set at just over 7000 about half a year ago.

How good are those unlisted progression rewards over 1200?
    I am sad I cannot like this more.  Scoring 3k and placing 12th is about as useful as a wooden nickel.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Avg is 5+ shield hops.  The community is small at that tier and players are very familiar with their alllies and enemies.  Players at that level all know everyone’s play-style and can adjust teams appropriately.

front runners will go through more shields, but the get to play and hop more which is fun and can play more at their convince

late climbers use less shields 2-4 shields,  but you basically play on time schedule which is pretty lame and are really at the mercy of how the high point players decide to keep hopping or freeze the shard

snipers will still use a decent amt of shields,  but they pay a higher health pack taxes and have to continually refresh points taken by rentals an enforcers

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Daiches said:

I am sad I cannot like this more.  Scoring 3k and placing 12th is about as useful as a wooden nickel.
    I don't play PvP in a high scoring shard anymore, but at the end of the day the game is as much about having fun as it is about securing the best rewards.  If helping to build points for a shard, grilling, having 1h hops etc is fun for the high scorers fair play to them.

On the other hand it does prevent those players who don't have the time/HP to score 2000+ from even having a chance at t5/t10 but then again there are other shards where you can often get placement without even hitting the final progression reward.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Players collude to hop off each other all event and inflate scores that high.  It's more about being in the right room and surrounding yourself with people that won't hit you unless you are shielded than having a really big roster, but yeah almost all of the 2k+ rosters will have champed 5s.
    there is no collusion.  there is coordination.  no rules are being broken, and nothing is secret. 
    pvp can be a team game, if you like it to be.  this has given the game longer legs than simply matching 3 until all your enemies are down.

I've seen people hit 2k with boosted 4s, but 98% of 2k scores in slice 1 (can't speak for the others) are 5* and up rosters.
  • Phumade
    Options
    In the study of economics and market competition, collusion takes place within an industry when rival companies cooperate for their mutual benefit.  

Allies competing with one another working towards mutual benefit and limiting opportunities for others.  Sounds kind of textbook as collusion.

Doesn’t make it wrong, but lipstick on a pig is still a pig.  If you’re not privy to utilizing line and being allowed access to one these rooms, you’re not scoring 4K without a massive roster and ungodly amount of time and resources on your hands.
    That’s really not an appropriate analysis for the following reasons.

All covers come from 1source d3 which exerts monopoly power on when and what rate covers and resources are made available to players.

that fact alone means you cannot meaningfully use any sort of traditional analysis or terminology to describe what is happening.  

In fact  traditional terms, such collusion and competition are words of art that imply specific things and have specific requirements when used in economics or law.

implying that there is competition cooperation and communication between players is one thing that is true.

but 

saying that there is collusion and competition as used in law Sherman antitrust act it s a completely different matter.

• PenniesForEveryone
    Options
    there is no collusion.  there is coordination.  no rules are being broken, and nothing is secret. 
    pvp can be a team game, if you like it to be.  this has given the game longer legs than simply matching 3 until all your enemies are down.

I've seen people hit 2k with boosted 4s, but 98% of 2k scores in slice 1 (can't speak for the others) are 5* and up rosters.
    Nothing is secret?  So I'm sure you would be more than willing to share a public link to your Battle Chat and just let in anyone that wanted access to the information being shared???
  • Phumade
    Options

Nothing is secret?  So I'm sure you would be more than willing to share a public link to your Battle Chat and just let in anyone that wanted access to the information being shared???
    If you want access to various by just join line and ask.

yes their are high level elite battle hats that are 5* rosters only,  but there are many smaller chats that cater to your tier of roster,  and most slices have a big general battle chat.

ive never seen people rejected on the basis of roster size only for behaviors that the specific room prohibits.

in fact most players would say that the chats are welcoming and people will orient u to the rooms that best fit your needs
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In the study of economics and market competition, collusion takes place within an industry when rival companies cooperate for their mutual benefit.  

Allies competing with one another working towards mutual benefit and limiting opportunities for others.  Sounds kind of textbook as collusion.

Doesn’t make it wrong, but lipstick on a pig is still a pig.  If you’re not privy to utilizing line and being allowed access to one these rooms, you’re not scoring 4K without a massive roster and ungodly amount of time and resources on your hands.

It doesn't limit opportunities. It makes it easier for everyone to climb as scores grow. The higher the scores the higher the hits. Access to shield check rooms is simply asking.  
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options

I've never seen someone ask to be in a room and be rejected unless they were leaking grills.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    Options
    Qubort said:

It doesn't limit opportunities. It makes it easier for everyone to climb as scores grow. The higher the scores the higher the hits. Access to shield check rooms is simply asking.  
    Unless you are a known "sniper" then it's kept secret from you, so that you can collude against the snipers.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daiches said:

Why? It's entertainment for people who do that. And there are placement rewards for event and season.

Just because it's not for you no reason to hate. Go after everyone who has a sports car for fun instead of a Prius that can get the job done.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options

So you don’t also track your brackets to ensure the placements are taken by those that you want?  No, totally doesn’t limit things at all.

You can dance around and call it whatever you want, a player who makes a choice to not engage in behavior outside of the game setting that is not moderated or run by d3/Demi is severely limited in their ability to gain all rewards.

I personally don’t find it wrong, but let’s not try and act like a battle chat is a dev sponsored portion of the game everyone is aware of and is encouraged to participate in.  The colluding nature of it prevents people who don’t choose to do these things to have a much harder experience in PvP and reasonably will never compete for high placement once they’re into cl7 or higher.