I would NOT re-cycle / farm my 3*s if...:

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...if it was impossible to receive XP / champion rewards for the same character twice / infinite times
    mexus said:
    broll said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    broll said:
    As noted the obvious choice.

I'm currently trying to start a 3* farm without selling my 266s while finishing off 4*s and joining into 5*s.  I'm stretched a little thin by it, we'll see how long till I give up and start selling the 266s lol.
    That's pretty much exactly where I'm at. So far I've maxed and rechamped Grocket, Cap, and IM40. Patch is close to max, and his dupe is fully covered. I tried holding on to the 266s as long as I could, but there was a trifecta of needing roster space, HP, and ISO, so I sold Cap and Grocket. I'm still holding on to IM40 for now.

I'm starting dupes ~257 or so. That way in case a dupe gets an uneven build, I can put some spare covers into the original. I've started 15 dupes so far, and need to get ones set up for Daredevil and Deadpool. So I'm about a third of the way through simply rerostering the 3* tier. 

It's a chore, but the combo of getting an LT for maxing the original then another for champing the dupe is pretty nice. 
    Max Champed / Re-Rostered / Rechamped
    IM40, Patch, DP

Max Champed & Re-Rostered (but not rechamped due to ISO constraints)
    SR, KK, R&G

Over my re-roster threashold (about 260) & Re-Rostered but not to 13 covers yet
    BW (260 & 10 covers)
    LC (263 & 4 covers)
    Daken (260 & 6 covers)
    Blade (257 & 6 covers)
    Storm (261 & 1 cover)

Over my re-roster threashold, but not re-rostered yet
    Strange (261)
    IF (260)

Re-rostered early to slow a 4* unusable cover
    Hood (222 & 9 covers)

Upcoming ISO priorities:
    1.  Champ Nightcrawler to save 6 covers on the vine.
    2.  Champ TBD 4* to save covers on the vine.
    3.  Champ either TBD 4* to save covers on the vine or start pumping ISO into 12 covered Gambit.
    4.  Champ the 3 Re-rostered 13 3*s
    5.  Champ the 10 2*s not champed cause I pillaged my farm months ago and haven't not had higher priorities to replenish.

Priorities 4 & 5 have been hovering at the bottom for like 3 months.  I've generally had at least 10 4*s at 13 for some time now and even hoarding I generally get at least one cover that pushes me to champ a 4* instead.  I keep telling myself once I get the last 9 vintage 4*s champed the ISO needs will lighten up a bit.  But that's still at least 9 weeks away if I focused that 100%.

Oh well I'm having fun and for me this type of management/planning stuff increase the fun (and it wrecks it when D3 randomly throws off expected orders, hint, hint @Brigby)
    I have scrolled through my roster now forth and back again to find out who TBD is but I can't figure it out. I reckon it will pop up in my head as soon as I press the Post Comment button in 3, 2, 1...
    As noted above the TBD is to be determined.  After opening a hoard of ~120 and pulling a lot for the few I don't have champed the decision isn't easy to I've decided to not worry about it till it's closer.  I really wish it was Nico as she seems like she'd be great with my 5* DD, however I pulled to 5/5/2 with 2 extra yellow.  

Talking through this I decided to go ahead and figure out who's next.  My Vine covers:
    Champable:
    7 Nightcrawler (Definately next L111)
    4 Miles Morales (L70)
    3 Nick Fury (L193)
    1 War Machine (L153)
    1 Ghost Rider (L115)
    1 TA Hulk (L125)

Not Champable:
    2 Nico Minoru (5/5/2 L111)
    1 Spider-Gwen (5/5/2 L70)
    1 Sam Wilson (5/5/2 L171)
    1 Drax (5/5/2 L110)
    (maybe I should go by a 552 lotto ticket...)

So as noted Nightcrawler is definitely next, no question.  I'll be pulling LTs regularly trying to finish off Gambit so if I get Nico's 13th she would be next, if not it's probably NF or MM.  I'm leaning towards Nick because he would cost less ISO and MM invisibility makes him somewhat useful even low level (I beat his clash last time at L70 with fewer covers)

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    God I probably love farming more than the game itself. Set of 2s, set of dupe 2s, set of 3s and this sale was a pleasant surprise because it gave me a little headstart for preparing to roster my dupe 3s. My best 3* is probably Cag3 at around 248. I was planning on rostering the dupe once the main got to 250 but think I may wait till 255 or 260. I will keep my main 3s for pvp otherwise I would sell them.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    ...if it was impossible to receive XP / champion rewards for the same character twice / infinite times
    broll said:

I'm currently trying to start a 3* farm without selling my 266s while finishing off 4*s and joining into 5*s.  I'm stretched a little thin by it, we'll see how long till I give up and start selling the 266s lol.
    I'm in this exact place though not wanting to jump to 5* land (just wanting to max-cover Gambit).

I start my 3* dupes at 255 and actually apply any extra covers outside their ideal build to the original (for example, if I have a 3/2/5 Magneto I will only apply red covers to the dupe since his ideal is 3/5/5.  I know this doesn't matter since I can respec after champing, but it's a habit I got into). I have 12 dupes rostered with 14 more within 10 covers of needing to be rostered.  I tried to level evenly with bonuses and it's about to bite me.  I have 39 open slots (thank you sale!), it's really just iso that is the constraint for me.

My solution is to stop pulling Elites and Heroics while I save iso.  My only pulls will be Latest Legends until Gambit is fully covered, and I won't pull until I have the iso to max another 4.

Once I get Gambit to 13, I will stop pulling Latests, hoard those again, and then take a couple of months to focus champing dupe 3s, slowly opening the elites and heroics as iso permits while building up the CP/LT hoard for the next Gambit that comes along.
    This is almost me. I want to champ all the 4*s before I jump into 5* land but I just maxed 3* Captain America and his dupe has 13 covers. Black Widow are just a few covers away with more 3*s needing dupes weekly (I start the dupe when the original hits 261). 

A couple of months ago I switched to spending cp on Latest instead of Classics and managed 13 covers for Daredevil before he left. I have 12 for Gambit and want him at 13 too. I will probably soft cap when I have Iso, but I don’t want to fully embrace 5*s just yet. 

Right now Iso is going to Kate Bishop then Lockjaw. Don’t know how I’ll have spare for my 3* farm. 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once you're in 5* land, you should be able to get enough HP to have your cake and eat it too.

I currently have 38 level 266 3*s.  Of those 38, I have 32 of them duped and rechamped already.  The other 6 have dupes but are waiting on the covers to champ them.  ISO becomes less of a problem once you have all of the 4* champed.  Once a dupe hits level 266 (highest one is 228 right now), I can't sell it with no worries.  Some of my alliance mates have sold max champed 3*s when their dupe was over level 200 and they had a nasty ISO crunch, but it hasn't happened to me yet.  So I'll continue to farm my 3*s and not touch any of the max champed 3*s on my roster.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    dramatist said:
    broll said:

I'm in this exact place though not wanting to jump to 5* land (just wanting to max-cover Gambit).

I start my 3* dupes at 255 and actually apply any extra covers outside their ideal build to the original (for example, if I have a 3/2/5 Magneto I will only apply red covers to the dupe since his ideal is 3/5/5.  I know this doesn't matter since I can respec after champing, but it's a habit I got into). I have 12 dupes rostered with 14 more within 10 covers of needing to be rostered.  I tried to level evenly with bonuses and it's about to bite me.  I have 39 open slots (thank you sale!), it's really just iso that is the constraint for me.

My solution is to stop pulling Elites and Heroics while I save iso.  My only pulls will be Latest Legends until Gambit is fully covered, and I won't pull until I have the iso to max another 4.

Once I get Gambit to 13, I will stop pulling Latests, hoard those again, and then take a couple of months to focus champing dupe 3s, slowly opening the elites and heroics as iso permits while building up the CP/LT hoard for the next Gambit that comes along.
    This is almost me. I want to champ all the 4*s before I jump into 5* land but I just maxed 3* Captain America and his dupe has 13 covers. Black Widow are just a few covers away with more 3*s needing dupes weekly (I start the dupe when the original hits 261). 

A couple of months ago I switched to spending cp on Latest instead of Classics and managed 13 covers for Daredevil before he left. I have 12 for Gambit and want him at 13 too. I will probably soft cap when I have Iso, but I don’t want to fully embrace 5*s just yet. 

Right now Iso is going to Kate Bishop then Lockjaw. Don’t know how I’ll have spare for my 3* farm. 
    Could always try what I’m doing and stop opening most tokens that net 3s until you’re ready to focus on them (though you’ll still win them in events and DDQ). 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I wouldn't be selling off my max champed 3s and starting new ones if I didn't need the iso.  
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...if we could keep adding covers to a fully champed 3* for rewards (but no level-increase)
    shardwick said:
    God I probably love farming more than the game itself. Set of 2s, set of dupe 2s, set of 3s and this sale was a pleasant surprise because it gave me a little headstart for preparing to roster my dupe 3s. My best 3* is probably Cag3 at around 248. I was planning on rostering the dupe once the main got to 250 but think I may wait till 255 or 260. I will keep my main 3s for pvp otherwise I would sell them.
    257 is a good spot to start building a dupe, at least that's my starting point. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...if we could keep adding covers to a fully champed 3* for rewards (but no level-increase)
    I find farming to be fun. I sell my max champ 2* as soon as I pull an extra cover to reroster. For my max champ 3* I sell as soon as I pull a cover and champ the dupe. 2* I only roster 1 copy of each character, for 3* I keep about 20 extra roster spots for farming. I've cycled the 2* characters numerous times, but only cycled about 20 3* characters.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    1/2 the options are bad for players and do nothing for mpq.
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I've been starting my 3* dupes around 245, since it's really hard to not apply the cover to the champed one when those super juicy champ rewards start rolling in.

The only exception I make is for whatever character is a progression reward in a 7 day.  Hard to resist starting a dupe at such an optimal build, and at least 8 covers...
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Sounds like you’re trying to justify not farming, but it’s worth it.  For me the question is whether to sell the original soon or wait until the dupe is close to max.  I did sell 7 or 8 soon after champing the dupe when I needed the ISO/HP.

I don’t bother starting the dupe early.  I get the original to 266, then start it.  Lots of 3’s come in groups, so they tend to be pretty evenly distributed.  And if they’re not, I set it as a bonus hero.  I haven’t had any problems having to sell covers, and if I did, selling a couple 3* covers isn’t the end of the world.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Farming? No thanks.

Id rather focus on champing my entire 4* roster and eventually building my 5*

Farming doesnt really pay iso dividends until the 2nd or third go around, when you figure you will be selling these covers for 500iso if you don't farm.

By that time I hope to be adding more champ levels to my 4*s, which i am missing all but 8 champed. Bad i pursued farming instead i would have a much greater iso deficit in terms of the iso i need to champ all of my max covered 4*s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Farming? No thanks.

Id rather focus on champing my entire 4* roster and eventually building my 5*

Farming doesnt really pay iso dividends until the 2nd or third go around, when you figure you will be selling these covers for 500iso if you don't farm.

By that time I hope to be adding more champ levels to my 4*s, which i am missing all but 8 champed. Bad i pursued farming instead i would have a much greater iso deficit in terms of the iso i need to champ all of my max covered 4*s.

Yeah, if you are still building your fourstar roster I can agree that ISO can be better spent on them (though you can champ Three Three-stars for the same cost as one fourstar, but ISO is still tight). Once you have most fourstars champed though, there's not really that much to do with the ISO that keeps coming in.

Besides, the true value of champion rewards is in the various tokens, HP and CP you get along the way, not the ISO.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Just two-three months in on my 3 star farm and already at 12 rechamped out of 16 rerostered. Dupes build fast.

Hardly any cover waste and I rerostered at 266 usually keeping them has a saving account of sorts. Only two I've sold off were lazy cap and squirrel girl.

As someone not really interested in jumping into 5 star land yet and have all the 4s champed, a three farm is really necessary to keep those champ reward resources coming in.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Is there a point to 3 stars other than to be recycled?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Taganov said:
    I still use Str3nge on a very regular basis. If i had the same amount of covers for Str5nge, i'd make the switch :)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taganov said:
    As long as the vast majority of PvP events use 3* essentials, they’ll continue to be useful.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Dogface said:
    Taganov said:
    I still use Str3nge on a very regular basis. If i had the same amount of covers for Str5nge, i'd make the switch :)
    On the flip side. I used to use Thano5 all the time but then I champed him. I now use 3 thanos all the time cause he doesn't kick my **** so much