Where should I put this extra 5* Gambit cover?

DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
So I pulled my mini-hoard this morning and Gambit ended at 1/3/6. I'm trying to decide if I should swap that extra black cover for another red, or ask for a purple to even out the build. 

I know his red is the better power, although I won't be putting levels into him anytime soon. My plan is to hoard until he's about to be bumped to Classics, then pull and hopefully get him covered. 

I'm just a little leery about making him 1/4/5, on the crazy off chance I don't pull any more covers for him and he heads into Classics stuck at that build. Or if I only pull one cover, and it's another red and he hits Classics at 1/5/5. There are worse things in the world.

My Thano5 has a similar build at 5/1/4 and 5pidey has the dreaded 5/5/1. At least with Gambit, when he gets a 4* feeder I'll be able to use the first two covers in a 1/4/5 build. I've already turfed the covers I got from Vulture and G4mora.

Overall, I'm probably worrying about nothing. And I suppose if I do add it to red and draw another mini-hoard in about six weeks, I can swap to purple if he maxes out his red too.

So what do you think? Should I go red or purple? 

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Red is the more useful active power pre-champ so I’d load up on red.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Really? I feel like until he's champed and his dmg really matter purple is better as it adds additional cd tiles and then reduce it's costs while red only adds slightly more dmg (my 2/2/4 gambit got 1 more purple recently and personally I was way happier that than if I would get his next red).
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    For me, it's about balance and not "wasting" precious covers...
  • DarthDeVo
    For reference, if I add one red cover he goes from doing 1321 damage per charged tile to 1604.

One more purple cover and he goes from two 3-turn CDs doing 673 damage each to doing 1287 damage each. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I vote purple because winding up with unusable 5* covers (which going 1/4/5 makes more likely) is the friggin' worst.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Mine is sitting at 3,4,3 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even out his build, make it a purple on the off chance you cant finish him before he leaves Latests.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple just in case you don't max cover him.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep in mind, they have repeatedly said that they may stop doing swaps at any time.  Go for the purple, it's safer.
  • DarthDeVo
    Sounds like purple it is. And hopefully I can get three more covers for him again when I pull in about six weeks or so. 
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Ordinarily, 2/3/5 would be the obvious answer.  

There’s a wrinkle here in that there’s a potential benefit to getting to 5 red before 3 purple, as long as the sell value of the Gambit cover is different from the normal sell value of a 5* cover.

Havent checked to see if that’s still the case but if it is, there’s a good reason to swap for red, under these very particular circumstances.  
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo said:
    Sounds like purple it is. And hopefully I can get three more covers for him again when I pull in about six weeks or so. 
    AA should be in tokens any day now. Holiday wrenched the pattern a bit(?). Once that happens, Gambit is on the clock. We would normally have another 4 dropping this week, then a 5 in 2wks, punting Gambit 2-3wks after that. Just sayin' don't get caught nappin'! :D
    No intentions of missing him before he heads to Classics. On one hand, three covers doesn't sound like that much, but on the other, I got only four covers for him out of 90 pulls this go around. If I have similar results next time but end up with more pulls going to Thor or Archangel, Gambit will be stuck. It's what happened when I tried to finish off 5pidey. I ended up pulling majority Daredevil covers and 5pidey was stuck at 5/5/1.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Hopefully Gambit will get a 4* feeder shortly after he leaves classics, making getting him fully covered an eventuality rather than a possibility, even if you have bad token luck over the next few weeks. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Go for the purple. People hate on his purple, but overwriting any special tile is awesome, and you'll decrease your chances of cover waste.
  • rg72
    rg72 Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    My Gambit is at 5/3/5 and I pulled another black cover. I've got no hope in getting the ISO needed to champ him before the cover dies and CS won't do anything to help. :(
  • DarthDeVo
    rg72 said:
    My Gambit is at 5/3/5 and I pulled another black cover. I've got no hope in getting the ISO needed to champ him before the cover dies and CS won't do anything to help. :(
     And it's not surprising they won't. Your issue doesn't fall under the guidelines for the swap. They'll only do it if you are at a build where there's no possible way you can champ the character and then apply the extra cover as a champ reward. 

Since you have Gambit at 5/3/5 already and could champ him (in theory) to apply the extra black as a champ reward, they aren't gonna help you.

If you have no intention of champing Gambit just yet, I would stop pulling Latests until he rotates out. It's up to you if you want to continue taking that risk, but understand CS will not swap any non-red covers you pull for him. The only way you'll get a useful cover for him is if you pull a red and manually rebalance him to either 4/4/5 or 5/4/4.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Go with the purple. It has more situational usefulness if not levelled
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    same question but different situation. I have gambit 5/2/4.
    Should i get black or red for exchange? Of course if i plan to make him even i need to put on in red, but i am so tempting to get 5 black and use him right away even not champed.

How would you do?

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    rg72 said:

According to your roster on gamependium you have 2 3* sitting at 266 (though the roster doesn't look like it's that up-to-date).

If you still have maxchamped 3*, that's 105k iso you can get.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lukoil said:
    same question but different situation. I have gambit 5/2/4.
    Should i get black or red for exchange? Of course if i plan to make him even i need to put on in red, but i am so tempting to get 5 black and use him right away even not champed.

How would you do?

Depends a bit on how many Latest pulls you can pull off. If you have a reasonable chance to get that thirteenth cover Before Gambit leaves Latest, there's no harm in going 5/2/5 right now since you can swap future Purples or blacks to red with CS support. The smart play is probably to go with Red for now though, that means you have two productive colors you can use immediately.

Also, 5 black covers generates red faster but Purple generation is at full speed at 4 covers. If you want to use Gambit mostly for his Purple then 4 black should be sufficient.