1200CP and 42LL Covers...what to do...

CKISSM
CKISSM Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
Should I continue to horde until I have enough to get three max Cover 5*s knowing I am passing on 3 very good choices in DD, Gambit and Thor....I realize I probably only get 12-13 total coversof those three....but I also strengthen my 4*roster now.... I feel if I hold, I will get there and get three good characters down the road....a Dark Phoenix should be coming down the road...but know idea who else....any thoughts?

Comments

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    you risk getting flooded with 2 other poopoo 5stars or something later down the line.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Hoard. 
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    That current hoard won't do anything for you, I'd hoard until another game changing character comes around.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    If you want or need to strengthen your 4* roster, spend your cp on classics; it will likely accelerate the pace of hoarding. Otherwise, just keep building on what you've got and be patient.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    I’m in the same boat. After reading and doing research, hoarding CP is the BEST option.

I am So tempted to spend! I will throw out a BIG assumption:

Gamit5 is the best 5* ever, yet I feel the Devs had no idea how much he would effect the game.
    So with that assumption being said, the Devs will definitely create some 5* to counter balance Gambit.
    Just like ArchAngel5 counters Vulture.

Be patient and that 5* character will come, by then you will have racked up so much CP that you’ll get those 5* champs easily.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Let me throw out a counter argument. Granted this comes from someone who already has strong 5* characters so our situations are likely very different.

i hate hoarding. I know that there is a strategic upside to doing it, but it is also incredibly boring and eliminates any real progression on your roster for an extended period of time.

Hardly any new 4* to play with. No new 5* to play with. Just a waiting game where you will miss characters and, depending on the length of your hoard, months of less than optimal gameplay and enjoyment. 

Based on all that you have read here, determine if you want to just jump into 5* land in one shot or not. Consider that making progression in PvE and PVP every event should be enough to cover each 5* as they rotate through and progress at your own rate. You will get there and maybe have more fun doing it.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    ZeroKarma said:
    Consider that making progression in PvE and PVP every event should be enough to cover each 5* as they rotate through and progress at your own rate. You will get there and maybe have more fun doing it.
    I just finished my first hoard and I’d agree that it did diminish my enjoyment of the game.  One lucky 4* cover a week and whatever farm fuel I get isn’t too exciting.  I probably won’t do it again.

That being the case, I’ve been wondering how I’m ever going to complete any new 5*s in addition to the 3 I now have.  Are you saying just pulling LLs as I get them should complete the latest 5*’s naturally?  Will a cp flow that doesn’t include PvP play (or just to 575) likely fall short, or do I need max cp to make that work?
  • ZeroKarma
    VizMantis said:
    ZeroKarma said:
    Consider that making progression in PvE and PVP every event should be enough to cover each 5* as they rotate through and progress at your own rate. You will get there and maybe have more fun doing it.
    I just finished my first hoard and I’d agree that it did diminish my enjoyment of the game.  One lucky 4* cover a week and whatever farm fuel I get isn’t too exciting.  I probably won’t do it again.

That being the case, I’ve been wondering how I’m ever going to complete any new 5*s in addition to the 3 I now have.  Are you saying just pulling LLs as I get them should complete the latest 5*’s naturally?  Will a cp flow that doesn’t include PvP play (or just to 575) likely fall short, or do I need max cp to make that work?
    Depending on your inflow of cp and LT’s, you can complete them naturally.  It’s very helpful to have that extra 15cp per event and if you have completed 3 5* it’s certainly possible to do so. Are your three champed?

I would argue, if you have the time to put into it, that PvE is more lucrative than PvP and definitely less stressful.  If you can clear cl9 with your 5’s then you should. Full clears in a reasonable speed also gets you a 4 or two from placement.

Hoarding, however, limits your ability to compete in PvE because of the 5* essential. So you hoard to gather resources to compete, but then you limit the speed at which you can gather those resources while also being bored with stale gameplay. 
  • VizMantis
    Yeah, I’m now the proud owner of a 455 Gambit, 455 DD, and 458 GThor.  But I’m not sure I’m ready for the stress and strategy of mounting a climb to 1200.  I’ve always primarily been a PvE player, but I’m lazy and generally do a 6 clear SCL7.  I was musing in another thread if the rewards in 9 were worth the extra time and effort over 7.
  • ZeroKarma
    First, you should be able to now hit 1200 easily in the right slice. Some places are just nightmares for scoring. You have a Gambit. ‘Nuff said.

I would definitely go for cl9. You have all the Latest champed! It’s some extra time but it’s cp. CP is the lifeblood of progression in this game now. The difference in progression rewards from that standpoint alone is worth it.
  • ZeroKarma
    edited December 2017
    double post
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Just for a comparition what's manageable: I'm very active player with typical t5/t10 pve and 900 points in pve finishes. Im always opening lts as they go and use cp on classics. Since SL I've managed to get 5* before they left latest (so I have sl, doc, pp and now 12 covers dd) as well as finished several classics: Started with Thanos and OML as my first champed 5* during summer, now I have additionaly phoenix, bb, gg, bdsm and finished ss that just requires iso.
    So cleary it's possible to keep progressing and finishing classic 5* without hoarding and just opening everything as it goes. Now it will be even easier if they keep changing 4* rewards to award 5* covers.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Well if you’re itching for a scratch, open your Legendary Tokens. The odds of you champing a 5 is low. On Christmas I opened 14 LTs and got NO 5* covers. 
    I learned my lesson, hope for a 5* is truly low, though I did end up champing 4* Vulture and can also champ 4* MockingBird.
    I guess some are correct, open some packs now and then, yet you will not enjoy opening when you get duplicates and wasted covers. GOODLUCK
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    ZeroKarma said:

i hate hoarding. I know that there is a strategic upside to doing it, but it is also incredibly boring and eliminates any real progression on your roster for an extended period of time.

Hardly any new 4* to play with. No new 5* to play with. Just a waiting game where you will miss characters and, depending on the length of your hoard, months of less than optimal gameplay and enjoyment. 

I was able to hoard through the entire vaulting and unvaulting while still being able to champ a majority of the meta 4 stars.  They just didn't reach the 290s-300s like people who pulled as they played.  

Hoarding did hinder my enjoyment of the game, but there was a huge peace of mind knowing that I could flip a switch and have 3x 5*s ready to go (iso willing).  All I had to do was endure the heartache of seeing the game release a couple of bad 5s in a row.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I switched to pulling only ll a few months ago, sl was still in the mix, and I was able to cover pp, dd, and gambit just by pulling as I go without hoarding. I probably would have doc ock also but I'm not that worried about not having him covered if I had started sooner. I only play pvp to 900 only hitting 1200 maybe 1-2 x's a season and play pve to progression so it is possible to stay ahead of the game that way. 
  • VizMantis
    [I] play pve to progression so it is possible to stay ahead of the game that way. 
    Out of curiosity, which PvE SCL do you play?
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    there is no 1 way of playing this game.  ive covered phx oml im46 and surfer just by opening classics.  i had fun doing it... the exhiliration of having a 5 5 2 OML and getting the exact final color via a lucky pull is without parallel!!

now im trying a differnt way and hoarding.   been hoarding 3 months now.  i had thought it would be boring bit its not.  ive been able to champ a lot of my classic 4s, which gives me a variety of options for pve.  also tracking how many lts i gain per day is kinda fun also and a source of excitement.  

one thing i noted though is d3 brings out one meta changing character per year.   last year was thanos, now its gambit.  just make sure you have enough cps during that time this character is released so you dont miss out.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    VizMantis said:
    Yeah, I’m now the proud owner of a 455 Gambit, 455 DD, and 458 GThor.  But I’m not sure I’m ready for the stress and strategy of mounting a climb to 1200.  I’ve always primarily been a PvE player, but I’m lazy and generally do a 6 clear SCL7.  I was musing in another thread if the rewards in 9 were worth the extra time and effort over 7.
    With those three you'll have a stress free climb to 1200. Sure you'll get hit but ignore and keep climbing.
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I would say hoard as well. unless you really hate it. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd sit on it until DD leaves and AA is in. You'll want an AA just for the 5* essentials, so open tokens at that point in the hopes of grabbing at least one. Any champ levels for Thor/Gambit should hurt you not at all.