1205!!!

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
**** yea I did it! I think it took 3 events? But on this one, the Black Panther event I pulled thru and hit 1,200! I messed up the other two and will happily write up how that played out to help other players. But for now, I'm going to celebrate my 15 CP! I have 3+ people I want to thank directly: 
1) The first person who PM'd me and explained how to get to 1,200. Because it was a PM, I will respect that, and not name you directly. Let it be said tho, you're the one that got me on the right path! Thank you again! Feel free to brag on yourself in this thread!
2) @aesthetocyst for your amazing guide to get to 1,200. It deserves its own thread at the top of the guides page! Thank you for the help and your dedication to making the Forum awesome! Feel free to brag on yourself in this thread!
3) EVERYONE who contributed to the thread where I asked how to get to 1,200! Feel free to brag on yourself in this thread!
4) The PM I received after my post today that offered encouragement. It came at a great time and I thank you for that! Feel free to brag on yourself in this thread! 

Tomorrow will probably be a slow day at work, and I'll explain the journey to 1200 in this thread, but for now I'm headed off to bed. Damn, I made it. This feels great!

Comments

• adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Congrats!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congratulations! ゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    You're living the dream, a glorious entry into 1200 land.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats Beer! 
    Amd it only took 3 events of taking advice and trying to execute upon it. Hope it inspires others here to do the same. The more people of comparable roster strength try climbing, the better Qs are available for everyone in that MMR, and the easier 1200 becomes.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats!
    Now do it every event! :)
  • Beer40
    My journey to 1,200 started with the Scarlet Witch PvP. I thought I could get that one pretty easily because she works well with 5* Starlord. Well, I started the event and climbed to 404. Here's my first mistake. I still had health packs and wasn't taking hits but I stopped and shielded (I knew hits would come in while I was idle). I should have climbed higher. A few hours later I was ready to play again and started to climb. I picked the wrong time of day, 12:30 US central time, and by the time I was done I was shielded up at 434 and done on health packs. I was just not making any progress. My next climb was to around 600. It went smoothly and I shielded. Then I climbed over 725 and shielded again. By this time, I realized I'd used up way too much time and would have to kick things into gear. I went for 900 on my next hop, which was too ambitious, ate some hits, and settled in shielded around 800. The climb from 800-900 was pretty slow, as hits came in and I had to shield twice to get to 900. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't quick enough to take two matches between hops. At this point in the event I was at 916 (I think?) and there just wasn't enough time left to get to 1,200 so I ended there. Took home top 25 for my efforts!

The 2nd event was the Doc Ock PvP. I didn't feel as good about this one but I thought I'd give it a go. I don't remember many of the details of this event, but I did learn from my mistakes in the first one, and didn't need to shield nearly as much. However, I still hadn't figured out how to manage my time properly to give myself enough time to get to 1,200. I got the Prof X cover, reached a personal best of 922, and shielded out with no health packs left and not enough health to push any higher. I got another top 25 for my efforts!

This last event, the Black Panther PvP, I thought I could make a run. I had just max champed 3* BP, so I knew I would be going in with a 451 Starlord, 412 BP, and one of 380's Blade, Carol, or Deadpool. I had learned from my time management failures previously, so I started very early in the event. I climbed to around 400 points and put up my first shield. I let my health packs regenerate and made my next climb to around 650 and shielded. I let my health packs regenerate and made my next climb to around 800 and shielded. I found some juicy targets and climbed to 934 and shielded. At this point, health packs weren't the issue. I was having trouble finding high point targets. From the previous two events I had also learned it was risky for me to try to do two matches per hop. Since the goal here was more about reaching 1,200 than testing if I could get two matches per hop, I decided I'd find one juicy target per hop and take that route to 1,200. I waited a little bit and found a 62 point match of dual champ DD and Thanos and dropped all the whales on them. It actually ended up being worth 64 points so I was sitting at 998, shielded. I waited awhile more and nothing really big was coming in so I took a 45 point match and got to 1,043 and shielded. I was getting close to that dreaded "lunch time" in my time zone so I stopped for awhile. Good thing I did! I took about 6 hits while shielded. About 2 1/2 hours later I made another push. I found a 57 point match, won it, and shielded again at 1,100. Took a few more hits while shielded. This confirmed to me I was being smart about only taking one match per hop. Incidentally, I was seeing more and more dual champ 5* teams. This was concerning to me because I was wondering if I could reach 1,200. I waited awhile and I couldn't find anything I could beat or beat quickly. I was thinking that my MMR would have broken by this point but as far as I could tell it still hadn't. Finally, I found a weaker Blade/Carol team, beat them for 26 points, and shielded at 1,126. That's when I made the post about asking God for a good point match. I waited a bit, cycled a few times, and finally saw a 71 point target that was a loaner BP,  455 Daredevil, and I forget the 3rd character but they weren't strong. I thought if I could get this one without being hit, I could make it. I beat them as quickly as possible and they were actually worth 73 points. Yes, that's right, I was at 1,199!!! I was shielded, but I started to really feel like I could make it. I took a break, messed around, and went back to cycling teams. I was taking the absolute quickest and easiest match I could find. For 6 points I found a loaner BP that was teamed with a duo of Blade/Carol that were very low level. I beat them, shielded up at 1,205, and made this post. However, I was on my last shield and it was an 8 hour shield with 9 hours+ left in the event. I figured I would just take the hits in the last hour plus since I was going to bed. Then I woke up about 4:30 am, and kind of dozed in and out until a little after 5 am, when I put up a 3 hour shield to finish. I lost a little over 100 points because my other had expired but I still managed to take top 10!

Sorry I didn't really use paragraphs on these stories. I didn't want to take up any more space than necessary. 

The motto of this is: If you believe then you can achieve! Once again, thanks to all for the help!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Ouch.. don't shield at 400. That's such a waste. Below 800 you only lose a fraction of what the attacker gains. And at 400 you are worth hitting for very few people and can reclimb easy. Next event try to climb to at least 7/800 before first #.

The DD/loaner was obviously a grill. So since you can Q them and beat them, it would be good for you to join a checkroom. It will make it much easier for you to get that last move from 900 to 1200. You'll get a lot of people that will check you and access to grills/high value A teams.
    Are you on Line yet?
  • Beer40
    Daiches said:
    Ouch.. don't shield at 400. That's such a waste. Below 800 you only lose a fraction of what the attacker gains. And at 400 you are worth hitting for very few people and can reclimb easy. Next event try to climb to at least 7/800 before first #.

The DD/loaner was obviously a grill. So since you can Q them and beat them, it would be good for you to join a checkroom. It will make it much easier for you to get that last move from 900 to 1200. You'll get a lot of people that will check you and access to grills/high value A teams.
    Are you on Line yet?
    Not yet, but I'm probably going to join soon. I'm not sure its for me, but it can't hurt to at least try it out.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Beer40 said:
    Daiches said:

Are you on Line yet?
    Not yet, but I'm probably going to join soon. I'm not sure its for me, but it can't hurt to at least try it out.
    Take the red pill dude 
  • Mr Bacon
    Mr Bacon Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Congrats on making it to 1200!  Agree with Rod5 and Daiches - install Line and get into a check room. You'll be hitting 1200 consistently and never look back. 
  • Rod5
    Mr Bacon said:
    Congrats on making it to 1200!  Agree with Rod5 and Daiches - install Line and get into a check room. You'll be hitting 1200 consistently and never look back. 
    Plus you get to meet some cool people who know loads about the game (not including myself in that though haha) and help you get to wherever you want to get to.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    Mr Bacon said:
    Plus you get to meet some cool people who know loads about the game (not including myself in that though haha) and help you get to wherever you want to get to.
    You also get a lot of cat memes if you join the correct room.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congratulations.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great job @Beer40
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I'm curious, how much HP did you spend on shields for this particular event? 

I'm a VIP-er, but otherwise F2P. I'm up to 38 4* champs, one 5* champ, but also starting to dupe 3*s for a farm at that tier. I only have three 266 3*s, and of those only one dupe is champed, though I am close on the other two. I'd really like to hold on to all the max champed 3*s I get.

My point is, I'm starting to cycle through HP fairly quickly again, and can't fathom spending that much each and every PvP event on shields. My current play style is to pretty much play to 900 in one push and shield out for the remainder of the event, usually one 24 hour shield per event. Sometimes one each of an 8 hour and 3 hour shield. Sometimes I'll have to spend 200 HP for healthpacks if I'm close to 900, but I try to avoid that as much as possible as well. 

Maybe I'm overly stingy, but it just doesn't seem like I can "afford" to hit 1200 every event, if you're talking multiple 8 and 3 hour shields. It just doesn't seem worth the time and HP investment for where I am in the game right now. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Im wondering about that too. Im not a fan of PVP and usually get to 100 something points. Getting a token or 2 for 10 minutes work. 
    But getting top scores means definite shields. How many shields (and thus how  many HP) do people go through climbing to 1200?
  • Rod5
    Totally depends. Sometimes I’ll climb straight to 1200 without shielding, sometimes might take a 3 and an 8 before I get there.

The guys who make the points for the slice ie front runners will use several full sets of shields per event.

If you’re not running 5s it could be quite a few, potentially much less if you use check rooms though.
  • Beer40
    I didn't pay too close attention honestly. I probably spent 1,800 HP between shields, boosts, and health packs? That' estimating on the high side tho. And I was not being very efficient or conservative. I simply was making 1,200 regardless of cost. 

This event I think I'm at 934 with 325 HP spent and won't be spending a lot more.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:

Maybe I'm overly stingy, but it just doesn't seem like I can "afford" to hit 1200 every event, if you're talking multiple 8 and 3 hour shields. It just doesn't seem worth the time and HP investment for where I am in the game right now. 
    You can't afford to NOT hit 1200.  Getting the CP is the only fuel to getting past 4* tier and into 5* land.  One factor to consider is that meaning growth in the 4* tier comes from using all the 4* covers from cp pulls.  Anyone who's hoarded knows first hand, how hard and slow it is to grow your 4* tier purely on placement/progression covers.

Even when LT,Classics don't hit on a 5*, they unlock signficant hp and iso reserves.

Your real goal should be to figure out the most efficient way to hit 1200.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    DarthDeVo said:

You can't afford to NOT hit 1200.  Getting the CP is the only fuel to getting past 4* tier and into 5* land.  One factor to consider is that meaning growth in the 4* tier comes from using all the 4* covers from cp pulls.  Anyone who's hoarded knows first hand, how hard and slow it is to grow your 4* tier purely on placement/progression covers.

Even when LT,Classics don't hit on a 5*, they unlock signficant hp and iso reserves.

Your real goal should be to figure out the most efficient way to hit 1200.
    The issue right now though is I have about 13 fully covered 4*s sitting around right now waiting on ISO. I pulled a mini-hoard this morning and out of 90 pulls, I think I have about 17 4* covers I can't do anything with at the moment because they're extras for non-champed characters. 

The only reasons I pulled were to try and get as many champ levels as possible for my 5* Daredevil and hopefully get 10 covers for Nico so I could finish the top portion of SHIELD Training. 

My point is, I could bust my hump trying to hit 1200 for a few extra Latest or Classics pulls, but until I get closer to completing the 4* tier, I'm risking wasting some of those pulls anyway. 

I'm at 38/61 4* characters champed. Personally, I don't think I'm going to be making a real push for hitting 1200 consistently until I get at least all my fully covered non-champed characters finished, which will realistically still be several months from now. 

And I would say I've been hoarding for the better part of this year. I started the year still working on finishing the 3* tier and trying to get at least one cover of each 4*. No champs in that tier. As I said, I have 38 champs with another 13 waiting. I feel like my roster has progressed pretty well, clearly past the point where I can keep up with the ISO needs, at least temporarily.