Interface changes are not good

Comments

• professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I definitely can see both sides of the enemy AP bar. I too find it a bit distracting. That being said with animations disabled it can help to follow what's going on. Like today in the Crash when I seek Elektra's black pulsing I know Shadow Step is happening on the next turn.

While I don't necessarily like all the UI changes (passive candy stripes I'm looking at you), I like most of them. I'd rather see them continuing to try to make improvements than do nothing because they are paralyzed that a good chunk of the player base won't approve. Perhaps when they reach a good pausing point an in game survey could help them evaluate the recent UI changes.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I'm honest, I've warmed to it now. I didn't like it at first because it kept catching my eye and distracting me but now that its been like that for a few weeks I dont notice it switching back and forth. If I'm honest now, I actually like seeing what attack is heading my way in the next turn or two, I've even found myself switching to that character to try and kill it before it can get the power off. Something I didn't do previously as I didn't watch the enemy ap anywhere near as much prior to the change as I do now. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it mostly, especially useful in Versus but I don't think it is necessary for goons etc who have countdown based powers in PvE as you can't stop them getting their AP generally and have time to match or destroy their tiles (or have Dr. Strange goon killer on hand to kill them passively). I still find the stripes a bit jarring but not the end of the world.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only thing that I even slightly don't like is the auto enemy AP bar as it limits my thinking about the next turn by hiding my own bars. That being said seeing the enemy bars occasionally is better than not at all.  It would be better if it was a manual toggle or optional setting, but overall I'll adjust.

The rest of the UI changes are hands down great IMO.

Here's hoping for QoL changes to roster selection screen next!  (filters, save favorite teams, etc)
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Been a couple of weeks and I still don't like seeing the enemy's AP bars. Please give us an option to turn them off. It really is ruining my experience and turning me off from playing.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    My main use for it is seeing when the enemy has enough AP to fire something. Rather than having to look at individual power descriptions and constantly check enemy AP levels, it tells on THEIR turn if I can expect to get hit with something. That gives me time on my turn to decide how I want to handle it. I still agree that you should have the option to turn it off though, you of course don't always need it when you're smashing everything with Thanos and Gramora. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I like the changes as well.

What I think would be a great additional change (especially after C4rol's boost week) is showing each teams strongest color.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Qubort said:
    Ruinate said:
    It's noob friendly but as a long timer player who knows ap costs, it's redundant to have this new feature and an AP bar.  It distracts me as my eyes snap to it every time that part of the screen goes dark.  I wish the AP bar wouldn't collapse when tapped on and I wish this new feature could be toggled.  I also don't think the new health bar is perfectly accurate.  I run Daredevil a lot and 50% health doesn't look like 50% on the bar.  Maybe it's just my eyes.  

//Removed Insult -Brigby
    That [redacted comment] was a really bad attempt.

//Edited For Clarity -Brigby
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Please keep all comments civil, and do not attack or insult other players. Thank you!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby - Do the gray bands on either side of the screen (taking up needed real estate) serve some purpose or are they just a mistake in design? On my phone the game is small enough. Why shrink it even further?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the changes. *shrug*
  • Arphaxad
    @Brigby any input from the developers on players concerns about this addition to the HUD? I know some players like it, but is it possible to get an off switch for those that find it distracting?

It has honestly ruined my experience. Please pass that along to the devs.
  • Brigby
    @Arphaxad said:
    Brigby any input from the developers on players concerns about this addition to the HUD? I know some players like it, but is it possible to get an off switch for those that find it distracting?

I've already passed along this concern to the team, along with this specific thread, and I've made sure to relay the desire for an option toggle.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Brigby said:
    @Arphaxad said:
    Brigby any input from the developers on players concerns about this addition to the HUD? I know some players like it, but is it possible to get an off switch for those that find it distracting?

I've already passed along this concern to the team, along with this specific thread, and I've made sure to relay the desire for an option toggle.
     Is that referring to having the option to toggle off the auto switch between my AP bars and the enemy AP bars? Because I would support that. 

I'm getting used to it, but still don't care for it all that much. At least having an option would be nice. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby said:
    Arphaxad said:

Is that referring to having the option to toggle off the auto switch between my AP bars and the enemy AP bars? Because I would support that. 

I'm getting used to it, but still don't care for it all that much. At least having an option would be nice. 
    Yes. My comment was specifically in reference to players seeing the enemy team's AP bars when it's the opponent's turn.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby - Do the gray bands on either side of the screen (taking up needed real estate) serve some purpose or are they just a mistake in design? On my phone the game is small enough. Why shrink it even further?
    I think its because various android and kindle devices have different resolutions.  Using the grey bars allows them to have a consistent window for play and then customize the grey bars according to device.

The other option of just resizing the screen would just make the images look like ****.
  • MonoElm
    MonoElm Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I’m a longtime player. I’ve been with the game since right before 2* Cap was introduced. My initial reaction to the UI change was complete hatred. I hated everything about it and desperately wanted it removed from the game. After some time passing -I still hate it. I hate it a lot. That being said, I see all the people who like it, or who say that it helps their game. I don’t want that to be taken away from them so I hope there is an easy solution to enable a toggle to the system. 
       I applaud the attempt the devs made to streamline the experience, and I’d say overall they have been doing an excellent job with the updates. I dislike this one, but I love you guys and what you do, so keep up the good work. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is only one time in a game sequence where you interact with the opponent's AP bar and abilities. Your own turn. Seeing what abilities they have (almost) atvthr ready is an influence on who you will target with abilities (damage or stun),  on if you need to use an AP steal, on which match 3 to take to block them. Your own turn.
    And what is the last thing you do on each of your turns? You add AP by making a match 3 or more, maybe a cascade. Because the turn then passes to the AI, you can now not see what the effect of that match is and have to wait until it's your turn again before you can plan what to do. Making it so the entire enemy turn is a waiting game and thus a boredom point. In a game that's all about speed, these little frustration points build up to a worse user experience.
    So please, let us turn it off.

and get rid of the ugly candystripes and bland HP bar.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like most of the animosity towards the changes are that lots of us are used to the old format so now we have to get used to a new way of evaluating whats going on.

I like the ap bar. I don't like the game showing me ap changes. This new mechanic of seeing all special tiles on the field is awkward to me as well.

With that having been said, I'll give it some time. Maybe I'll get warmed up to it. *shrugs*
  • Arphaxad
    @Brigby you are the best. Thank you for updating us.