Elspeth.

Options
If anyone has a decent Elspeth deck I’d love to see it.  Mine is useless and I’m not seeing anything better beating me.  All too painful.  Also last node bottom left not loading? 

Comments

• Sinitar
    Sinitar Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I swap out saving grace for more support removal if I get matched against white but my strategy is to use cats with horse to make horse army or Nakatamun to buff all the tokens or a mix of the 2...I have had really good success with this deck so far

Creatures:
    Nakatamun
    Regal Caracal
    Steward of solidarity
    Crested Sunmare

Spells:
    Forsake the worldly
    Skywhalers shot
    Saving grace

Support:
    Knightly valor
    Cartouche of solidarity
    Gideons defeat
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, crazy cat lady Elspeth works well.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah this event is busted.
    Elspeth is the most consistent white planeswalker I run and at only level 38, this build works amazingly well.
    https://mtgpq.info/deck/detail/buN

It won't do you any good for this event since you have to cast less than 3 supports.
    I swapped out Anointed Procession for Forsake the Worldly (and glad I did because another Elspeth kept throwing stunner), and the other supports for desert spells + Hostile Desert.  So far so good :)
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One of my favorite Elspeth build is to use Pyromancer's Goggles. Case in point, I almost always succeed in completing the Nodes of Power white objective (lose no creature) by playing no creature at all (I mean, how can you lose something you don't have, right?), then spam Pyromancer's Goggles + Aetherflux Reservoir + Fumigate + Approach of the Second Sun for a slow but certain death.

The only time that deck lost was, I think, against a red aggressive deck with whatever Olivia + Decimator stuff.
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks. All
  • Iworb
    Iworb Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    How about my version of deck?

• Phillmoore
    Options
    Iworb.  Good also.  And after Monday I should have hixus! Or once booster crafting comes out 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Phillmoore I know it is already past the submission point for the event. But I found your topic interesting. So here is mine. 

SPELLS:
    Slaughter Pact
    Vindicate
    Renewed Faith
    Saving Grace
    Grind to Stone
    Forsake the Worldly

CREATURES:
    Angel of Sanctions
    Adorned Pouncer
    Knight of the White Orchid
    Solemn Recruit

It is a bit of a unique build. Of three Masterpieces I own. I have the two targetable colorless removal cards. Vindicate and slaughter pact. Pure luck, but has been very helpful. 

Renewed Faith offsets Slaughter pact. 
    KotWO helps speed up unit casting (if able)
    Grind to Stone provides additional removal needs and helps with hexproof alongside Elspeth's loyalty 1 token's removal ability.

First strike & Double Strike alongside Saving Grace adds to additional defense and able to retain said defenses.

Loyalty 2 helps boost units, especially the double strikers. Increasing their damage significantly. 

Removal options I have are:
    1. Vindicate: exile defense against triggering graveyard effects. Can be used on your own creatures is running into a spell count issue.

2. Slaughter Pact: Cheap removal so as to not interfere with casting other cards and even with Elspeth starved of Mana she is able to cast it. Can be used on your own creatures in case of a low spell count issue.

3. Grind to Stone: -2/-2 application can kill units and the Aftermath effect provides two activation gems for Exiling opportunities; which regenerate until applied to an opponent's creature. Elspeth's mana gains make this spell worth fielding. Helps against Hexproof too if one is in the 1st spot, i.e. that hexproofed Matriarch mythic with defend. 

4. Loyalty 1: Elspeth's unit provides a timed removal activation gem. Since it automatically applies to the 1st creature, it gets around hexproof.

5. Angel of Sanctions: With flying, embalm and ability to remove a target unit this guy is a beast. Embalm provides an additional chance to remove a target unit. A good choice to use slaughter pact on in case I'm short a spell to meet the objectives if he was cast from my hand.

6. Passive removal via defend/first strike/double strike: Any units with First strike or Double strike in conjunction with Saving Grace. Good for ground units only. Need to rely on other removal for flying. 

I thought long and hard about this one. It worked well and honestly the first Elspeth build I managed to make that was reliable. Had my tinykitty handed to me in the past Elspeth events. Anyways, I hope this was a good read buddy. 
  • Phillmoore
    Options
    @Gunmix25 awesome. And thanks for expanding details. Again. Making this pw a bit more interesting....maybe.  
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Phillmoore anytime, man. Elspeth is a great PW but tricky to build reliable decks for in my experience. When she works, she's insane. When she doesn't,  it's painful. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My current is very defensive:

Creatures: 3
    Steward of Solidarity
    Knight of the White Orchid
    Trueheart Duelist

Support: 2
    Cast Out
    Cartouche of Solidarity

Spells: 5
    Aerial Modification
    Forsake the Worldy
    Honed Khopesh
    Saving Grace
    Traveler's Amulet

It's playing perfectly for me so far. Here's hoping my other decks will do the same.
  • Kyphonis
    Kyphonis Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It is always surprising to me how many people run supports in a “cast x or less” node while needing x spells. I keep it simple:

Creatures: 4
    Angel of Invention
    Regal Caracal
    Solemn Recruit
    Adorned Pouncer

Spells: 6
    Skywhaler’s Shot
    Djeru’s Renunciation
    Alchemist’s Vial
    Forsake the Worldly
    Swift Reconning
    Saving Grace

The creatures don’t really need to much explanation. Efficient beaters with lots of lifelink. The spells seem underwhelming until you use them.

Alchemist’s Vial has been an absolute all star. Pick off those pesky defenders to punch the last bit of life through, delay my own angel so I don’t kill my opponent too fast, and replacing itself all fits the second objective.

Saving Grace sets up a massive double striking defender that Elspeth can go wild with. It is had to get through here, and Angel is in the back for fliers.

Djeru’s Renunciation is a mini Imaginary threats. I’ve shut down a couple Gaea’s Revenges with it. Also set up for swift reckoning.

Swift Reckoning & Skywhaler’s Shot are my permanent removal.

Forsake the Worldly kills those supports out there, although I’ve mostly cycled it away this time.

Simple. Clean. Efficient. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Supports:
    Starfield of Nyx
    Gideon's Defeat

Creatures:
    Angel of Invention
    Glory-Bound Initiate

Spells:
    Djeru's Renunciation
    Alchemist's Vial
    Swift Reckoning 
    Forsake the Worldly 
    Renewed Faith
    Healing Hands

Use Elspeth's token ability and combos of Renunciation or Vial with Swift Reckoning for kills until you can fill Nyx and GD together. Once you do that, GD will just keep coming back and opponent's board will stay clear the rest of the match. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    that is an evil deck bken an ever reproducing kill support that even the hexproofs cant get around, I salute you and if i ever get it steal the idea.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My white hour says that Starfield Gideon combo is overpriced :)
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    My Wrath of God says...
  • bk1234
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    I played an hour deck yesterday with it, I still won with full life. Nothing is really overpriced with Elspeth — she is White Koth. 
  • Kyphonis
    Kyphonis Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Also think about the fact that if the nix combo goes off 2-3 times before your star field, or even delays you dropping dudes, it has done its job and paid for itself.
  • Phillmoore
    Options
    Some great ideas.  Thanks all.  Just need star field bken and im gonna atry that kne.  
  • bk1234
    Options
    Some great ideas.  Thanks all.  Just need star field bken and im gonna atry that kne.  
    You’ll be able to craft it soon!