Speculating when Archangel will be 5 essential

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
A lot of people worry about having Archangel for his PVE run.  My estimate is that the soonest he will be essential is Jan 21 or 22.

If we assume Gambit is being skipped as 5E for XvA, then Thor comes Sunday. Then two Classics.  Assuming all 3-4 day events then the Latest cycle  starts Dec 28 with DD (AA should enter Latest 1/1).  5 Events of 3-4 days (L,L,L,C,C) goes to 1/14 or 1/15.  They run Latest in release order, so Gambit starts the next cycle, then Thor, then finally Archangel on Jan 21 or 22.  These dates would be pushed by a 7 day by 3-4 days (so 1/25, a Thursday).

Just something to think about as you decide where to use CP.  Good luck to all!

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously he'll be essential as soon as his store closes, but before you can get him in regular Latest tokens.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    The one thing to note is that the latest have run in order since Doc Ock rotated out. Ock should have been "first" in his group of three latest if they did them in order, and he was second, then third.

It's worth pointing out because we had two Latest groupings with Ock (not in release order), two without (in release order), and are in the middle of a fifth overall. Meaning there's a chance they pull a fast one on us and don't do them in release order, which could put Angel a tiny bit sooner. But I don't think we'll know for sure until it happens.
  • whoami
    whoami Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Can someone remind me what’s the rule for when new 5*s enter LTs? Thanks—wondering when to crack my hoarse for Archangel. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    whoami said:
    Can someone remind me what’s the rule for when new 5*s enter LTs? Thanks—wondering when to crack my hoarse for Archangel. 
    Two weeks after the Legendary token store for the new 5* closes, So January 1st or 2nd most likely.
  • bluewolf
    edited December 2017
    Just updating since Thick as Thieves is using Thor.Gambit was skipped.  They have been going in release order for the past 3 cycles, including this one (assuming Gambit doesn’t get used in the next PVE).

It is most fair to players to run in release order....gives more time to pull the essential.
  • bluewolf
    Just wanted to update this since they ran a 7 day. Barring a second 7 day Event - which would be unusual since they only run them every other month or so - I think we can expect Archangel’s first 5E on 1/25/17.
  • bluewolf
    It should be Gambit next, then Thor after.  We’ll see soon....
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gambit was boosted for X-Men vs Apocalypse, just not as much as he would be when he was required.  I'm guessing boss events are going to follow a different formula there - which is good, because to require a 5* to do a side node would suck in general.   Anyway, I'm going to agree with the people above - Gambit should be the next required 5*, then Thor.  After that, it will be 2 Classic.  After that it will be Gambit, Thor, Archangel, so I'm guessing 1/26 unless they decide to run another 7 day PVE, in which case it may be later.

Anyway, Archangel should enter the tokens at the data push today, so about 11am EST...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    GrimSkald said:
    Anyway, Archangel should enter the tokens at the data push today, so about 11am EST...
    This was my assumption also but it's come and gone.  is it a mistake or are they changing the rules again?  Only time will tell...
  • GrimSkald
    edited January 2018
    broll said:
    GrimSkald said:
    This was my assumption also but it's come and gone.  is it a mistake or are they changing the rules again?  Only time will tell...

There was no data push today, at least so far.  They may do it this evening, or else I'd expect it tomorrow.

Edit to add - they can't make updates to the tokens without a data push, and as far as I can tell the data push does not happen on days where there's no one in the office.  Possibly they haven't reopened from the holidays as yet, possibly they're playing catch up and haven't done the data push.

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The out of office was ambiguous since it’s said to 01/02/18 which means they may or may not be back in the office today.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    My other thought was maybe they don't want to push DD out of the latests until he is no longer the 5* essential, which would mean a couple more days on archangel.
  • GrimSkald
    My other thought was maybe they don't want to push DD out of the latests until he is no longer the 5* essential, which would mean a couple more days on archangel.

Huh.  Interesting thought.  It's definitely not impossible, though I suspect the real reason is they didn't do the data push yet, possibly because they're still out of the office.

We'll see when they do a data push tomorrow - they almost certainly will.  Btw, if people don't know what I mean by this - it's when the game goes back to the loading screen, shows the loading (from less than 63%, for some reason at least my version always loads from 63% when it decides to reload,) then lets you in.  It's usually between 11am and 11:30 am EST, but they used to do it between 5pm and 5:30pm EST.  They do it every weekday save for holidays - it updates the tokens and such.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was under the impression there was a data load. I got a slow load time sometime between 12:30 & 3:00 PM EST.  
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I thought the data push is when that android from Star Trek goes to the toilet.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    GrimSkald said:
    crackninja said: 

Huh.  Interesting thought.  It's definitely not impossible, though I suspect the real reason is they didn't do the data push yet, possibly because they're still out of the office.

We'll see when they do a data push tomorrow - they almost certainly will.  Btw, if people don't know what I mean by this - it's when the game goes back to the loading screen, shows the loading (from less than 63%, for some reason at least my version always loads from 63% when it decides to reload,) then lets you in.  It's usually between 11am and 11:30 am EST, but they used to do it between 5pm and 5:30pm EST.  They do it every weekday save for holidays - it updates the tokens and such.

Yeah,  it was just waiting for the push,  he's in there now
  • bluewolf
    Archangel has entered Latest. DD is the latest hero to be sent to Classic jail.
  • GrimSkald
    Yeah, that was a super late push - they also did it to put through that sale.
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2018
    Ha ha!  I was wrong. Apparently we aren’t supposed to be able to predict something like when a 5* will be essential.  I must have made the devs mad with this thread or something. Sorry.

He’s essential starting 1/8, about 2 1/2 weeks ahead of my guess.  My karmic comeuppance is I am 0/52 on Archangel.  
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    bluewolf said:
    Ha ha!  I was wrong. Apparently we aren’t supposed to be able to predict something like when a 5* will be essential.  I must have made the devs mad with this thread or something. Sorry.

He’s essential starting 1/8, about 2 1/2 weeks ahead of my guess.  My karmic comeuppance is I am 0/52 on Archangel.  
    Yeah... I pulled basically my whole hoard (~100 Latests pulls) trying to get as many Daredevil champ levels as possible about a week ago, kind of counting on having about three weeks or so to rebuild before trying for Archangel.

Now I'm still scrambling to try and get enough ISO to waste as few 4* covers as possible from that pull session. I think I've got nine LTs (10 after tomorrow's Crash) and somewhere between 250 and 300 CP I could commit.

I don't like my chances. I'm debating whether it's even worth it to try, or if I should just skip trying to pull for him right now. I feel like I probably wouldn't get him and end up with more 4* cover wastage. And I was kind of wanting to wait and pull when America was in tokens. But had I known AA would be featured so soon, I probably would have foregone trying for more DD levels. I only ended up with four more. Kind of would rather have AA for the 5* essential.