Is 5* Gambit Making a Mockery of XMen vs Apoc?

2»

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    XforceW- Rogue - Cloak and Dagger *hurts him*

*Removed inappropriate language - Ducky
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    4clops can one-shot Apocalypse in each round. Plenty others can as well.
    There's never been a need to remove the Horsemen before killing, which was meant to be the entire challenging part.

so in short, no, stop with the Gambit comments already, He's a lot slower now, still strong, but don't heap all sins upon him. This event wasn't challenging first time, and it isn't now either.
    Seconded. Last time I used IM40, Teen Jean and Cyclops and it was just as much of a pushover.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    4clops can one-shot Apocalypse in each round. Plenty others can as well.

so in short, no, stop with the Gambit comments already, 
    I highlighted the necessary parts. Everyone should try all their characters out instead of throwing shade at one particular one.

Also, and obviously the higher level your characters are the easier it will be, but if you can pair up 3* Cyclops and 3* SW with someone (they're both boosted), collect the red/black/purple AP and still kill Apocalypse in round 6 easily enough without taking out his Horsemen.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    teen jean also>>>>apoc

He's a interesting boss, but certain characters counter him pretty hard.
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Jean , kate (heal block) and riri (super punch) are doing great for me
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    5pidey  , miles , vulture , take down apocalypse very quickly as well
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Using phx, switch, riri in rd 7; pretty good so far but I see interesting teams in this thread I want to try
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    It's no different than last run. Alot of players chased 5* Gambit during his release for this reason.
    Not one single person said "I'm gonna go ahead and open up all these LTs so that I can get Gambit and CRUSH the Apocalypse event next time it comes around!"
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wasn't trying to pile on the Gambit threads but merely asking if he was making it as easy as it appeared on paper.

Unfortunately for me (and I suspect many others) I came late to the 4* game (roughly the time vaulting started so I have only a dozen or so champs) so I don't have a single X-Man character with more than 8 covers due to the fact that no X-Men were added for well over a year. So having them all boosted for this event doesn't help me in the least. I'm getting by with 4Carol/Cloak&Dagger/Medusa but in round 7 and esp round 8 with none of them boosted I'm likely to lose as much as I win unless I find a better team.

KGB

P.S. I wonder if his purple will overwrite Ultron bombs...
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:
    I wasn't trying to pile on the Gambit threads but merely asking if he was making it as easy as it appeared on paper.

Unfortunately for me (and I suspect many others) I came late to the 4* game (roughly the time vaulting started so I have only a dozen or so champs) so I don't have a single X-Man character with more than 8 covers due to the fact that no X-Men were added for well over a year. So having them all boosted for this event doesn't help me in the least. I'm getting by with 4Carol/Cloak&Dagger/Medusa but in round 7 and esp round 8 with none of them boosted I'm likely to lose as much as I win unless I find a better team.

KGB

Hmmm....I don't know your roster but its possible you need some people with bigger "nukes" in there. Have you tried using some boosted 3*? When you say "a single X-Man with more than 8 covers" are you talking about 3* as well? Stack your powers because if you can't 1 shot or chain together a few, they are useless. Two 3* Cyclops red powers + 1 Carol black + 1 Carol yellow should take out Apocalypse thru round 6. Bring someone to absorb the damage and let them gain AP and fire alll at once! There are other combos too, that one just came to mind first.

Good luck!
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    KGB said:

KGB

Do you have Wasp? Last time round, unboosted C4rol / Wasp / Medusa got me through Round 8 just fine. If you can cast Wasp's yellow before C4rol's black, you'll get a nice protect tile for C4rol to boost along with all those strike tiles. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember using cho and teen jean in the last run.  Also with the reduction in AP generated for Gambit he is a little slower to win the match compared to pre nerf
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    KGB said:

KGB

Hmmm....I don't know your roster but its possible you need some people with bigger "nukes" in there. Have you tried using some boosted 3*? When you say "a single X-Man with more than 8 covers" are you talking about 3* as well? Stack your powers because if you can't 1 shot or chain together a few, they are useless. Two 3* Cyclops red powers + 1 Carol black + 1 Carol yellow should take out Apocalypse thru round 6. Bring someone to absorb the damage and let them gain AP and fire alll at once! There are other combos too, that one just came to mind first.

Good luck!
    I have every 3* champed and at least around level 180-190 range. So no problem using 3 Cyc etc if I wanted to. My point is it's nice to get a L350+ character for the super health/damage they get in that range. Up through round 5 I can still one shot Apoc with Carol's black after she makes a couple strikes but that ceases to be viable in rounds 6 esp 7 where I need 2-3 Carol blacks to one shot him.

As for Wasp, I have her at 5/2/2 around L110ish. I can level her up if that might help but I fear that I'd never get to use Carol's Black because that's my top color and thus the one Apoc drains. Cloak&Dagger seem way better simply because they ensure I get plenty of black to fire Carols and to match his CD's.

KGB
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    He makes a mockery of the rest of the game, so why not?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Wonko33 said:
    XforceW- Rogue - Cloak and Dagger hurts him
    My Rogue is woefully underleveled, so I've been using 4Clops in place of Rogue in that team.  It works just as well.  C&D generates black for XForce Wolverine, or yellow for 4clops, which can generate green (your likely most powerful AP) to get rid of famine.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Yes - 5Gambit is all you need to beat Apoc. I added an additional challenge to only win by removing the 4 corner tiles, but really after you charge up enough Red, you can win round 8 with 3-4 casts.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using 4Clops, Rogue and IM40 and haven' had any difficulty at all.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Kevmcg said:
    Yes - 5Gambit is all you need to beat Apoc. I added an additional challenge to only win by removing the 4 corner tiles, but really after you charge up enough Red, you can win round 8 with 3-4 casts.
    Even removing the corners is super easy with Gambit purple.
  • Rodeo1488
    Rodeo1488 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    XForce - 355, XPool - 535, Doom - 355
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

There's a long list of characters that can destroy any boss event. Ghostrider literally can one hit any boss but there isn't a whole thread dedicated to him. All the Gambit hate is getting quite old.