ISO-8 ONLY SALE! Huh?

ZeroKarma
ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
edited December 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Tis the season to be jolly folks! I apologize for any unintended (actually, probably intended) snark in advance but the latest notification that splashed across my screen like pepper spray into the eyes of a newborn was a limited time sale of ISO-8. 

Yes, you too can buy ISO-8 with a 30% bonus! Not HP, which actually has some meager value at the price point offered (though seriously devalued with the emergence of CP and the inability to buy covers directly). Instead, you can get the most plentiful resource in the game at an outrageous price point, with a 30% bonus. 

TO ALL NEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM AND IN THIS GAME, ONE WELL KNOWN FACT IS YOU NEVER BUY ISO-8. 

While you may think that selling a cover is the end of the world, it isn't. You can earn 78k ISO-8 by playing PVE daily and hitting DDQ and champing characters and Facebook friends and daily drops and SHIELD bonuses and the like. Whereas, it would take some real work and some saving to get 20k HP, ISO-8 bleeds from this game. 

@Brigby , I happily support this game during the holidays and during sales. I am NOT spending a penny on ISO-8, however, and I think that you are going to see an underwhelming response to this sale at all levels. Please communicate to the devs that the buy clubs were gearing up and ready to go. People were making plans, taking out second mortgages, selling baseball cards (never comics!), doing yardwork around the neighborhood, giving blood, skipping meals and denying themselves the simple pleasures in life so that they could give D3 bundles of money. 

And now we are not. Bah humbug. 

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Devs:  Hmm, the player base is kind of unhappy.  Gambit is frustrating 5* players.  We really botched wins based PVP.  Shield Training seems to be accepted by some, hated by many.

Should we have double iso again this holiday season?  Or should we have a 30% iso bonus “sale”?

Which one makes us money?  Done.

Spoiler:  it won’t.
  • GreenyBoy
    GreenyBoy Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Lol never seen a company making a sale to not earn money, cept D3.

Seriously doubt anyone will buy this. Way less income for them as in previous years.
    Yet another dumb move.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was already in no mood to give them any money this Christmas (a huge change from last Christmas).  Thank you devs for solidifying that you don't deserve my money.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Only these forums could take a discount as a personal insult.
    You must not go to a lot of a game forums then.  ROFL
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma said:
    @Brigby , I happily support this game during the holidays and during sales. 
    not even then. 
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    I'm all for pitchforks and stuff,  but lets get some context here.   We just got a new event that says 12 days of Christmas and even longer for New Year's.   That means we have about 12 days until Christmas.   Typically,  these sales last between 3 to 7 days which doesn't get us to Christmas or not even New Year's.   Maybe they are selling iso 1 week and hp next week.   I mean they only have 2 things to sell in the whole game to last close to 2+ weeks.  Even a dead clock is right twice a day. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    Sorry, the history of sales is pretty well known. The poor value of ISO-8 is well known. This is an exceptionally poor decision from a tone deaf company.

I am not kidding that there were many people gearing up to buy that have closed their wallets. There is time to fix it and they should do so promptly.
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    This is an astonishing decision. I can only assume the idea came from the Demi/D3 Christmas party where someone spiked the eggnog.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    101,400 ISO-8 for $99.99 doesn't even fully level and champ a 3*. Do the Devs even play this game. If they did they would know that this amount of ISO-8 specially before the sale gives no player an incentive to buy it. If this is their fix for not making enough money on ISO-8 sales in the store then they are clueless. The HP sales are always worth it even at their regular price, because at least you can buy out a vault, character slots, and in turn the new characters or covers will give you XP and you get ISO-8 from the Shield Rank rewards. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    It's not a good deal. Just speak with your wallet--I'll be skipping.

But it's still possible a HP sale is forthcoming. I wouldn't write this off as the only thing they're doing this season.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buying ISO-8 is not a good use of your money. In other news, the sky is scheduled to remain blue tomorrow.

Yet, the price point has remained. Which means enough players are buying ISO-8 that the devs are comfortable with the money they make from ISO-8 sales.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Ah, but that's the point.  Usually a "sale" is when you cut the price on something.  This game's version of a "sale" is to keep the price the same, but give you 30% more ISO.  If they gave you 300% more ISO, it would STILL be a terrible deal.  Buying ISO is only slightly better than just setting your money on fire.
  • General_Tojo
    General_Tojo Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    I truely hope the HP is coming, I was ready to spend big time for that. Definitely not ISO
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I truely hope the HP is coming, I was ready to spend big time for that. Definitely not ISO
    I have been waiting for that as well. Now that is a sale that has worthy content I can use.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Man, I thought @ZeroKarma was funny and not really complaining.  I mean come on, "splashed across my screen like pepper spray into the eyes of a newborn", man I am still laughing at this line. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    ZeroKarma said:

TO ALL NEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM AND IN THIS GAME, ONE WELL KNOWN FACT IS YOU NEVER BUY ISO-8. 

While you may think that selling a cover is the end of the world, it isn't. You can earn 78k ISO-8 by playing PVE daily and hitting DDQ and champing characters and Facebook friends and daily drops and SHIELD bonuses and the like. Whereas, it would take some real work and some saving to get 20k HP, ISO-8 bleeds from this game. 
    Sorry, but you're severely overstating the amount of ISO you can pile up daily - particularly if you're a new player OR have reasons not to be FB friends with a lot of people for a game.

I'm a 4* player, I get the SHIELD intercepts, play PVE and DDQ daily and my ISO gain is more in the 35k/day range. Yes, that's with champing characters and a 2-star farm, etc.

If I played up an SCL level I could pull in about 5k more in iso, but that's about it. The number of FB friends it would take for me to get another 40k plus to hit your numbers is more than I want to contemplate, particularly as someone who has a unique name and no intention whatsoever of adding 100s of people to my social media and making myself more publicly discoverable.

When I had a bit more time in my day I was also playing PVP and managing to scrape something in the 45k/day range.

Personally, I don't think the amount of ISO offered is a good value for the money, but that's not the same as "ISO is so easy to come by that you should never buy it". Which is simply not true and becomes less and less true the earlier a player you are in the game and the less ISO you get from your SCL level rewards.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think he was claiming that you could earn 78k ISO in 1 day, just that it's easily obtainable from normal play.  20k HP, however, takes quite a while to earn and it's easily more bang for your buck than ISO.