PVP Shields = great revenue?

Here and there throughout the forum I keep reading stuff that indicate people who put up shields in PVP are number 2 for great revenue after the Whales. And game-changes that make people need less / buy less shields are therefor not likely to happen.
My question is, could this be true? I mean shields are 75, 150 and 300 Hero Points each, 
an active player (like someone who's keen on placing high in PVP) should get these amounts of Hero Points 2x - 3x daily. Someone else said he has bought shields for up to 3000 hero points in some events - not clear whether he paid for this or not - but shielding that much I understand is abnormal behaviour.

I know I spent money in MPQ, more than I would like to admit sometimes but I never spent to buy  a shield.
And I can't see how shields are even a fragment of the total revenue.

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Some players drop a full set of shields which is 525hp every 8h or so and do this 3-4 times per event.  If you’re earning 2200hp a day, I’ve been playing the game very wrong lol.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I wouldn’t do it myself, but it’s definitely not an uncommon practice.  
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't Think people buy HP just to be able to shield a lot in PvP.

I Think they participate in buy clubs to get loads of CP and happen to get a lot of HP as a side effect. Got to use that HP on something, why not PvP Shields?

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

If you're going to spend money to get CP in a buy club, you might as well spend all that HP on something.

Whether that thing is 40packs or shields is the choice of that person. I doubt that 1 LT (plus another ~0.5 from champ rewards) per 40pack is going to be that much of a boost for them.

• Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    I suspect that the direct revenue from shield purchases is non-trivial but still not that high in the grand scheme of things. However, players who spend on shields are competitive and enjoy the game beyond the casual level. There is a higher chance that such a player would also spend on other parts of the game, either to become even more competitive or just to show appreciation and help keep the game running.

So while it is good to make the game more accessible to casual players who might spend in the future, it should not be at the expense of the loyal competitive players who are already spending now.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    It's actually been stated *many* times by the development team that shields make up a small percentage of the game revenue. Now, I don't know if this has changed.

I haven't spent in 2.5 years & never have done VIP. I buy average 2 shields per PvP. Sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3, very rarely 4. Usually 3hr/8hr once in a while 24hr. Buy 100 daily in vaults alot and health packs periodically. I have 24,900 in HP.

If you are in a t250 or better alliance, can play the game somewhat intelligently...the HP will flow.

Edit- tokens & token packs are #1 revenue generator. Chasing CP I would think has maybe surpassed that.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    mexus said:
    @Starfury & @Quebbster:
    So basically you're declining statements such as "no shields = no revenue = no game" which I've seen on the forum more than once? The players buy Hero Points, that I get, and they probably would keep doing that even if shields were't a thing. Like for emptying vaults and such. For flipping 40-packs (which is great for XP gain even for a 5* player).

I wouldn't go that far. For one thing it's very well possible that some players only buy a new batch of HP once they've used up what they bought, so less HP spent on shields means more time between visits to the buy club.

Also for some people, the motivation might be the other way around: "Want to place #1 -> Need shields -> need HP -> might as well join a buy club to get some extra CP"

You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking there's only one kind of whale.

Also, as a disclaimer: I'm not even a dolphin, never got close to 1200 and I definitely never used more than 2 shields in a PvP event, so what I'm saying is speculation.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    No, people probably spend big amounts of HP on Shields. If they didn't shield, they might not spend quite so much. It's just not the primary driving force behind most purchases, that is likely the CP.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I have posted in another thread, I have used up to 5000 HP in 1 PVP.  This was between shield AND healthpacks.  That is a key factor you are missing. You cannot just look at shields for pvp you have to look at health pack usage too.  Going against champed Gambits every single blah blah match sucks.  It is a massive health pack drain. Almost more that Thanos and Black Panther. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aces is a late climbing leech with a 1200+ day roster with multiple champed 5s.

If everybody would play like him, there would be no 1200+ on one or zero shields, so he'd have to spend more HP.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not from me anymore.  After they pulled win based I've commissioned myself to not use a single shield and so far a season later I'm holding true to that.  Anyone else who wants improvements to the PvP system should do likewise.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I spend from 600-1500 hp per event, depending on which bracket i jump in. I'm pretty hp neutral though.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    To answer OP question:

Does it matter? Its still revenue. These are digital goods. There is no consistent overhead to manufacture them, distribute them, etc...

To dig further into your question at what I think you're really trying to ask:

Revenue is revenue. Whether you trust the Forum users or not to quantify that revenue accurately is up to you. But you can rest assured that MPQ will likely not do anything to negate any source of revenue that is pure profit for them. It all adds up in the end.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    As someone in the 5*, T25 (I’m not quite pushing as much to get the ‘high’ scores) bracket, I will usually use 1 or 2 shields per PvP, but that is very much linked to health packs - as I predominantly use 5* Thanos-Daredevil currently, and the 3* in the middle can be burnt by Court Death. Add in PvE usage, and it all adds up. 

I guess the added Hp from more people hitting goals in PvP, and maybe buying new roster slots (one of their biggest sellers) didn’t offset other losses like shields and health packs? One of the biggest issues with all of this is that people are constantly Wins versus Points, but it’s really upto D3 and the Developers - they don’t release as much information which would help people understand their decisions. We are all speculating on so many details about this whole process, it’s unreal, and anecdotal evidence is not a proof of anything, given the vast majority of players who do not use the forum, Discord, Line or any other medium. One post from the Developers would help so much.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Beer40 said:
    To answer OP question:

Does it matter? Its still revenue. These are digital goods. There is no consistent overhead to manufacture them, distribute them, etc...

To dig further into your question at what I think you're really trying to ask:

Revenue is revenue. Whether you trust the Forum users or not to quantify that revenue accurately is up to you. But you can rest assured that MPQ will likely not do anything to negate any source of revenue that is pure profit for them. It all adds up in the end.
    This. Even if the revenue from shield purchasing is trivial, it's still revenue that's better to have than not at all. 

The challenge is of course that HP is what the money is spent on, and the HP has multiple uses. I suspect that people buy HP primarily for tokens/vaults and roster slots, but then use whatever they may have lying around for shielding and health packs when necessary. Perhaps they have the data for a breakdown of how much HP is spent on shielding and health packs vs the other uses, but if they don't, the connection is still there between buying HP and shielding, even if it's faint. 
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    The game has a near-perfect engagement/account liveliness tripwire: DPD.

If the count of former daily players who have engaged in at least $<someamount> purchasing dropped over the season, and the following season had a reversal? Yeah, that season's change is deader than disco (which isn't saying much about how dead it is, sadly....)
  • acescracked
    Bowgentle said:

If everybody would play like him, there would be no 1200+ on one or zero shields, so he'd have to spend more HP.
    Who flagged Bow's post, lol. He is 99% correct! I'm at 1400+. 

The front runners have to burn *way* more shields and PvP is truly a trickle down economy. Without the wonderful front runners all slices would be like S2.

I got into the PvP leech play style learning from my OG alliance (shout-out to Bee, Nogard & S.H.I.E.L.D) and just can't break the habit. I do help a little by hitting snipers from down low. :)

But...you too can be a leech and hit 900 everytime with little shield usage. Or truly have fun and frontrun and help the MPQ community! 

Actually, if MPQ would do away with PvP time slices I'd try and frontrun more. :wink:
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Bowgentle said:

The front runners have to burn *way* more shields and PvP is truly a trickle down economy. Without the wonderful front runners all slices would be like S2.

I got into the PvP leech play style learning from my OG alliance (shout-out to Bee, Nogard & S.H.I.E.L.D) and just can't break the habit. I do help a little by hitting snipers from down low. :)

But...you too can be a leech and hit 900 everytime with little shield usage. Or truly have fun and frontrun and help the MPQ community! 

Actually, if MPQ would do away with PvP time slices I'd try and frontrun more. :wink:
    And that's the funny thing.  Win based encouraged if not forced people to play all/most of the event allowing for more point distribution...  On top of that there's a lot more scrubs like me standing around unsheilded being cupcakes for you guys that care about placement.  
  • acescracked
    broll said:
    Bowgentle said:

And that's the funny thing.  Win based encouraged if not forced people to play all/most of the event allowing for more point distribution...  On top of that there's a lot more scrubs like me standing around unsheilded being cupcakes for you guys that care about placement.  
    Broll, you just don't get it. People DO NOT want to play all/most of a PvP event! That's insane.

With current system you have the flexibility to play the entire 2+ days if you want to or not have to... Get your rewards and get out. When there is a cool event I will join right away climb, get hit down, climb etc.

Your looking at only your targets which 40 matches might not be that big of a deal. 40 matches of dual champed 5*s forget about it! Plus hard for me to leech 40 wins ;)