Jace 2 or Koth?

Sinitar
Sinitar Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
Title says it all just looking for some opinions on which people enjoy most keep in mind in already have Kiora/Samut maxed so I'm not lacking on variety just seeing what  other people like

Comments

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Koth is a workhorse. If you have any red or colorless fatties, or hasty creatures, or hasty fatties, I would go with him.

I do really like J2, but the problem I run into with him is mana gains. Blue is pretty much the best color by itself, but it really needs green to reach invincible levels. 

I think in the end, this is a decision you should make based on what you have for red and blue. Would you mind sharing? What are your mythics and rares for red and blue in the Standard format (i.e. Origins, KLD block, and AKH block)?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I prefer Jace.

He has pretty strong mana gains and can also take advantage of those colorless fatties mentioned above. He's a little slower than Koth, but in my experience more reliable. The AI will always try to deny you matches of your planeswalker's color, but doesn't seem to register Jace's strong gains on black matches. 
  • Sinitar
    Sinitar Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    I have numerous rares for both colors notably for red Hazoret's fury/favor as for blue I couldn't tell ya what is great other then drak Haven as it is mentioned all the time on the forums

Mythics for red
    The Locust God
    Wildfire eternal
    Neheb the eternal
    Hour of Devastation
    Combat celebrant 
    Lightning runner

Mythics blue
    The Locust God
    Fraying sanity
    Unshen
    Temmet
    Baral
    Hour of eternity
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Aggro or Control?
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    IMO go with koth since you already have kiora. kiora does better at whatever jack 2 can and she got access to green
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably koth but you can't go wrong with either. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would go with Koth. He’s fun. J2 is good as well, but Koth is great for stuff like speed-grinding runes and 5 or less objectives. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    You have Samut and kiora maxxed out. So I would say take none this. Samut is way better than koth and same for kiora/J2.
    I just play both for fun matches. For rewards I wpuld always prefer kiora or Samut. 

If you are collecting: take both. 
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I held off getting Koth for a long time but mostly because I had Sarkhan to work with, but now for TG just to farm, Koth goes a bit quicker. I do use at least one color changer support but after that you can do whatever. 
    I'm also going to suggest Koth..
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    I am a fan of neither. For red I prefer Nahiri, Ajani2, Saheeli or Bolas.
    For blue I prefer Saheeli, Tezz2, Dovin or Kiora. (yep, any dual-colored blue planeswalker is pretty awesome!)

But this is platinum speaking. Back in silver I found Jace2 extremely useful because any cheap blue spell combined with ultimate and some creatures turned him into a powerhorse.
    Not sure about Koth... I got him rather recently but he was extremely swingy (when he works he works, but when you're in a pinch, you're stuck!).
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    If you enjoy control, get J2. Koth is fun but I get bored quickly, especially now that I have Samut. I’m always trying to find an excuse to play J2 but he hasn’t really suited the current objectives.

But get both if you can—I’m hoping they bring planeswalker arena back one day!
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Having Samut and if you have New Perspectives and Faith of the devoted, take Jace 2 that is a winning combo.
  • Sarahschmara
    rafalele said:
    Having Samut and if you have New Perspectives and Faith of the devoted, take Jace 2 that is a winning combo.
    Fair of the Devoted is black—I think you’re thinking Tezz2. But, yes! New Perspectives and Faith of the Devoted is a winning combination! 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    rafalele said:
    Fair of the Devoted is black—I think you’re thinking Tezz2. But, yes! New Perspectives and Faith of the Devoted is a winning combination! 
    You are right I was thinking in Tezz2.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Koth for PvP. Jace 2 for PvE. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    i use j2 for some of the legacy events and can be fun but honestly i use koth more in tg and legacy red events but he needs a few good mythics to really whale on the ai, j2 on the other hand is a much more reliable consistent blue race to the 3rd ability and just watch them dwindle, one of my favotires is imprision in the moon my own creature with it on and have a huge mana battery that attacks lol
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think about it this way... A new deck slot costs 200 crystals. If you get J2 on sale you are paying only slightly more than the deck slot and getting a slightly different group of abilities too.

When they finally get around to a blue event with "play 0 spells and 4 supports" he'll be in first place!

But the other thing to think about is that his abilities are about supports and drawing cards, he will _never_ be bad in a set there will always be stuff for him to do, there are almost sure to be good cards for him in every new set and at some future point he may be broken.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    What @Kinesia has said is why I like him, even though he's only a monocolor PW. He has abilities that, while admittedly generic, are incredibly useful. In fact, it is precisely because they aren't tied to the mechanics of a specific set that they are still useful and relevant, making J2 one of the better monocolor walkers, at least in my opinion.

The other side of that coin would be a PW like Chandra, Torch of Defiance (C2). Her abilities are all related to the Energize mechanic. So despite her great mana gains, she is still handicapped, and will eventually become entirely useless once Kaladesh and Aether Revolt are cycled out of Standard.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep. So even just in recent sets he's great with Investigate and Cycling, and when I have to play Eldrazi a bunch of them draw cards too.
  • Sarahschmara
    morgue427 said:
    i use j2 for some of the legacy events and can be fun but honestly i use koth more in tg and legacy red events but he needs a few good mythics to really whale on the ai, j2 on the other hand is a much more reliable consistent blue race to the 3rd ability and just watch them dwindle, one of my favotires is imprision in the moon my own creature with it on and have a huge mana battery that attacks lol
    Try stealing a opponent’s creature and then mooning it. Destroys their threat AND you get to keep the mana battery! :smiley: