Heroes for Hire oddity

So, recently, I found myself and my 5/5/2 4* Gamora sitting with 2 black covers in queue.  I've already sold about 10 of her covers (*grimace*), and decided I needed to just spend the 120 CP for that last blue cover (because I really like running her with Grocket and 5* Daredevil).  Then, this morning, in the HfH store, there it is:  A Shiny Blue Gamora cover available.  Yes!  But then I got to thinking:  Why was it there?  Her Crash was a couple of weeks (?) ago, she's not the featured 4* in DP vs. MPQ, nor is she boosted in The Hunt.  Bucky is next up for the Crash, and Mockingbird is finishing out her cycle.  Merry Christmas?  Does everyone see her in the store?  Did I not see her the last couple of days?  

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    They've been doing that when you have 12 and a useless one on the vine- but it's not consistent , not sure how they decide to put one up or not.

I filed a ticket about it once and never got an answer
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Hmmm....well, whatever caused it, I'm ok with it.  I was much happier about spending 3600 HP than 120 CP. 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    And yet, when Black-Suit Spidey is the 5* essential, the HfH store offers me a useless blue for my 5/2/5 Spidey.  Come on, guys!  We can clearly see that you can do better than that!  Offer me the green that I need and I may take you up on it.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    And yet, when Black-Suit Spidey is the 5* essential, the HfH store offers me a useless blue for my 5/2/5 Spidey.  Come on, guys!  We can clearly see that you can do better than that!  Offer me the green that I need and I may take you up on it.
    Did you have a pending cover which is a prerequisite for it happening for the 4? No? Well then.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    The HfH for the 5* Essentials/Crash characters have their colours set by a standard rotation. Right now, all the 5* are offering their first cover when they come up. It's only the "extra" ones that are semi-randomly offered that are targeted at the colour you need.
  • jym010
    jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    I had this happen to me with a purple X23.  Had one on the vine and it was suddenly offered in the H4H store.  Snatched it up and was able to champ and not waste my 12th green cover for her.
  • Rumakashi
    Rumakashi Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I got the same thing, but it was because I had a cover which made my GR 5/0/5. The next day I saw a red GR in the HFH.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I just got the same thing for my 2/5/5 coulson, with one cover on the vine, so I went for it :)
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I just got the same thing for my 2/5/5 coulson, with one cover on the vine, so I went for it :)
    and with the LT from Coulson, I got a purple 5* Gambit, nicee
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    OJSP said:
    Others have mentioned this in another thread https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67150/was-the-hero-for-hire-store-brought-back

I also received an offer for my 2/5/5 Nightcrawler, with 3 blue covers on my pending queue. It appeared after today’s data push and it will end 1 hour before the current DDQ cycle. Talking about other potential triggers, it looks like we need to have enough resources (most likely iso to cap the character, because I don’t have enough HP to actually buy the offer this time).
    Yep, check that thread for more info. Well, for more speculation on our part, as no one has ever officially commented on what triggers these offers. 

Only two conditions can seemingly be agreed upon for sure: You have some combination of 12 covers, with a useless cover dying on the vine; or you have some variation of 0/5/5.

It's a little unclear if you need a cover dying on the vine in that last scenario. The thought seems to be, "We'll toss you a cover in the empty color so you can use CP to at least buy the final two covers if you want."

Resources don't seem to have anything to do with it. Some get the offer when they're flush with HP, ISO, or both. Others get an offer when they lack one or both resource. 

I got an offer for my 4/3/5 Moon Knight with two green covers dying on the vine today. I have enough HP, although it's not gonna leave me with much to spare. I have nowhere near enough ISO to champ him right now, but can probably earn what I need before the first cover expires, so I'll probably buy it. 

This is at least the third time I've gotten the offer. First time was for G4ocket, which I bought. Second offer was for IW, but it seriously would have depleted my HP, and I was working on champing other 4*s at the time. Had I added Sue to the mix, there's no way I could have champed everyone. 

In hindsight, I kind of wish I had at least bought it to get the cover. I probably wouldn't have champed her, but I ended up selling her cover anyway. Had I bought it though, I would've been able to champ her at my leisure. Now I'm hoping to get the offer again if I ever pull anything but green. 

And that's the other mildly frustrating thing about these offers. Sometimes you'll satisfy the supposed requirements, but not get an offer. 

Last thing: When these offers do show up (if they show up) it always seems to be when there's somewhere between 48 and 72 hours left in the current Crash cycle.

So if you've ever got a useless cover dying for a 12-cover character, don't forget to check HfH. And if you don't get an offer right away, wait until the next Crash cycle if you can. You never know if one will come through our not.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Addendum:  no HfH offers for Limited characters. I held onto an extra purple Howard recently until the bitter end, through 2 1/2 DDQ cycles. Just another 1000 iso now.   My 2/5/5 Howard said, “Waaaagh!”
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw the next cover in my HfH store was for Winter Soldier that would complete my 2/5/5, and thought that this might have been the reason why.  Then I realized that "Bucky Barnes" is actually his character name, and that he's the next Crash of the Titans.  If my champed 3-star Cap weren't just a few levels away from giving me the cover I need to champ Bucky, I'd be tempted to spend the 3600 HP for it.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Addendum:  no HfH offers for Limited characters. I held onto an extra purple Howard recently until the bitter end, through 2 1/2 DDQ cycles. Just another 1000 iso now.   My 2/5/5 Howard said, “Waaaagh!”

In the previously linked thread, someone got a Howard offered (see page 2 of that thread), so it's apparently possible unless the secret feature was stealth-changed for reasons unknown...which is, admittedly, quite possible.

So far, I've only gotten the offer about half the times it seemed like I "should" have.  I've pulled the trigger on it three times.  On the other hand, just last week I had to sell a black for my 5/5/2 4Cage which I would have bought if offered.  There are apparently caveats which are still a mystery...again, for reasons unknown.
  • DeadpoolandBob
    DeadpoolandBob Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I had the same thing happen with Mockingbird, which was strange because she was coming up in the next store (but the wrong color).

Just curious, did you have Gamora set as your 4* favorite?
    I had a Mockingbird on the vine and Mockingbird set as favorite.

It might be the combination of 12 covers plus one dying on the vine with the character as favorite that triggers the offer in the store.
  • DarthDeVo
    I had the same thing happen with Mockingbird, which was strange because she was coming up in the next store (but the wrong color).

Just curious, did you have Gamora set as your 4* favorite?
    I had a Mockingbird on the vine and Mockingbird set as favorite.

It might be the combination of 12 covers plus one dying on the vine with the character as favorite that triggers the offer in the store.
    I doubt bonus heroes have anything to do with it. I can't remember for sure if I had G4ocket set as one the first time I got an offer, but I know for sure I had not set IW nor Moon Knight as BH when I got offers for them. 
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    It happened to me with Coulson, I needed a yellow but only got purples when I was attacking the Classic Legends Store but during that week, H4H came up with a yellow Coulson.  I almost missed it because I didn't need the Hero they were selling when I saw it earlier and then suddenly I had 3 Heroes to choose from.

Question:  why is it that sometimes, there's only one Hero they're selling and other times, there are like 3-4 with another one about to come to the store?
  • DarthDeVo
    It happened to me with Coulson, I needed a yellow but only got purples when I was attacking the Classic Legends Store but during that week, H4H came up with a yellow Coulson.  I almost missed it because I didn't need the Hero they were selling when I saw it earlier and then suddenly I had 3 Heroes to choose from.

Question:  why is it that sometimes, there's only one Hero they're selling and other times, there are like 3-4 with another one about to come to the store?
    There are always three characters in the store at a minimum: The 5* essential for PvE, the 4* currently featured in the Crash, and a preview for the upcoming Crash that you can't actually buy until their Crash goes live. 

When PvE events overlap, there are briefly two 5*s in the store instead of one.

Something new they just did with Nico's SHIELD Training was to offer two covers for two of the three required 4*s and double the rest of the resources for 7000 HP.

And lastly, if you get the individualized offer, that character will show up.

I think that just about covers all the reasons why you would see a character offered for sale in HfH.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,764 Chairperson of the Boards
    Had a blue Warmachine pop up in HfH today. Having had him at 5/0/5 for what seems like forever, I happily paid the price. Got a Moon Knight (1/3/5) and Fury (3/3/5, current BH) cover on the vine, so looks like the 5/0/5 takes precedent. It seems like this targeted HfH store doesn't work perfectly, but even so, well done devs! That'll surely make the CP and HP flow!
  • DarthDeVo
    Alfje17 said:

Had a blue Warmachine pop up in HfH today. Having had him at 5/0/5 for what seems like forever, I happily paid the price.

Got a Moon Knight (1/3/5) and Fury (3/3/5, current BH) cover on the vine, so looks like the 5/0/5 takes precedent.

It seems like this targeted HfH store doesn't work perfectly, but even so, well done devs! That'll surely make the CP and HP flow!
    And you wouldn't get an offer for MK or Fury because they aren't at 12 covers.

Unless they've changed something and didn't tell us (although they've never told us just how these offers work anyway), you'll only see an offer if you have 12 covers with a useless cover dying on the vine or some variation of 0/5/5 -- which applied to your War Machine.

And even then, the offer isn't anyways a guarantee.