Stealth buff/nerf 1* Spidey

Options
thisone
thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
Soo, my son tells me Spidey's powers were changed today. Sure enough my Spidey is also altered.

Red, blue and purple cost 6AP each. Instead of making web tiles they do extra damage.

I don't remember this being advertised. Anyone else seeing this?
Tagged:

Comments

• xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just checked and I'm seeing the same thing. Interesting, I wonder why the balance change on a 1* character out of nowhere?
  • AlwaysWrong
    AlwaysWrong Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Same. Weird. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't fire up the game right now.  Has anyone else who produces web tiles been changed?  There might be a new web tile mechanic coming in.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't fire up the game right now.  Has anyone else who produces web tiles been changed?  There might be a new web tile mechanic coming in.
    I had the same thought, but Gwen, Miles and 3* and 5* Spidey are unaltered. For now at least.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Either it was a bad/pointless experience for new players in the 1* tier, or they're releasing a new character / re-balancing an existing character / or updating a game mechanic around web tiles that would have made 1* Spider-Man over-powered.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was just thinking I had mentioned the potential for a 1* Spider-Man update in recent months but couldn't remember the context. Ran a search and found it:

mega ghost said:
    I'd be in favor of letting us champ 1* characters so we could farm them the same way we do 2* characters, but if that's the case their levels should be reduced that way a max-champed 1* isn't over-powered in relation to 2* and 3* characters (I'm mainly thinking of Juggernaut and Spider-Man here. They might even need to tweak their numbers and AP costs beyond that so their abilities don't outdo most 2* champs, even.) 

Possible but unlikely? Is Juggernaut the same?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was just thinking I had mentioned the potential for a 1* Spider-Man update in recent months but couldn't remember the context. Ran a search and found it:

mega ghost said:
    I'd be in favor of letting us champ 1* characters so we could farm them the same way we do 2* characters, but if that's the case their levels should be reduced that way a max-champed 1* isn't over-powered in relation to 2* and 3* characters (I'm mainly thinking of Juggernaut and Spider-Man here. They might even need to tweak their numbers and AP costs beyond that so their abilities don't outdo most 2* champs, even.) 

Possible but unlikely? Is Juggernaut the same?
    Assuming this is what you're asking, the other 1*s are unchanged. I'd guess they weren't digging the interactions between 1* Spidey and 5* Spidey.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What interaction was between 1* and 5* Spiderman (I still haven't pulled a 5* Spidey)?

After the stealth-change, I'm not sure what the best build is anymore.  Blue loses the second turn on stun with web tiles out and purple only makes two criticals from 3->5, so it seems like 5/3/5 or 5/5/3 might be it, as the red does really good damage at the 1* level for a "two match" power.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Meanwhile Juggernaut is still ramming his head into everything on the cheap
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Did the sell price for him change?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,141 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe they felt all those web tiles he created were too powerful when he was teamed up with 1-star Venom? :)
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Looks like this change was required for something web tiles related we might see in the future, but for now it just speeds up clearing the 1* DDQ node a bit at least. But quite odd that there was no communication about it.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If I recall correctly this is now the 3rd time they've changed 1* spidey?
    Seems so irrelevant 
    Well the only change for me us that his best build is now 5/5/3

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    if they're going to stealth change a 1* character lets bring the ap requirements for ironman's blue down from 19. 19! for a one star ability that does 10,000 damage... no wait, my bad, it does 1400. what a bomb! take that 1* node goon. oh wait, no, don't take it. you never get enough ap to use it. 
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm more likely thinking, that is just a bug.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the right combinations, you could use 1* Spidey in a single champed 5* match. 

Your 5* champ takes all the damage, while Spidey keeps the biggest threat stunned and then unleashes his critical tiles (which will hopefully cause cascades with 5* match damage). Maybe 

This nerf takes away his stacking stun, which makes that strategy more difficult to pull off. But for a 1* match, it is far better because it gives him damage with the 1 turn stun.

Did anyone check to see if they nerfed 1* Black Widows stun also?

• hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm more likely thinking, that is just a bug.
    A bug that accurately changed ability descriptions?
    Sorry, my bad. Though that he doesn't create web tiles in match. Just saw mine, and yeah, this is awkwardly strage.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    In the right combinations, you could use 1* Spidey in a single champed 5* match. 

Your 5* champ takes all the damage, while Spidey keeps the biggest threat stunned and then unleashes his critical tiles (which will hopefully cause cascades with 5* match damage). Maybe 

This nerf takes away his stacking stun, which makes that strategy more difficult to pull off. But for a 1* match, it is far better because it gives him damage with the 1 turn stun.

Did anyone check to see if they nerfed 1* Black Widows stun also?

No, she's fine.

I am shocked because more than a year ago, there was a change to her description in the coding that showed her blue just did Damage instead of stun. Players complained and the devs stated there were no plans to nerf 1*'s.. a year later 1* Venom got nerfed.. meanwhile Juggs is still king though
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Maybe they decided new players needed more damage options, and had no use for web tiles.

If so, they missed an chance to spin this as a player-friendly move.

That seems likely.  The tiers appear designed to go from simple to complex in terms of mechanics, with a fairly gradual ramp up.  At the 1* tier players are still learning how to play the game, so simple is better.

I am shocked you don't have a Bagman.