"A 3 year old can win this game!"

Options
I once played another but similar game. I made  a brave statement on that game's dedicated forum:
A 3 year old can succeed in this game.
The community divided in two camps:
The agreers and the not-agreers.

So what do you think?
Can a 3 year old kid potentially play and win in MPQ? Or is matching tiles and adding covers something that requires 30+ years of gaming and life experience?

Discuss this!

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,141 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    If he has Gambit, he can.

#nerfgambit
    I came here to say pretty much this exact same thing...minus the hashtag, anyway.  "Whenever you see this man's tab blinking, click on it, and the click on the ability that is lit up in green."
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't believe when I click on that hash-tag it only links back to this thread (not sure if it is a search function I guess). It should be on every gambit thread.

Well played there Bowgentle, although obvious and true I suppose.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence:
    My kid already beat a 4star team in Sim pvp when she was 3 with CageFist (she almost 5 now). I would say yes, matchy matchy is even easier now.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it's possible but this game is more than just match 3. The different combination of characters that goes well togheter and the strategic joining of SCL and slices. When to attack, who to attack and with which characters. Boss Events, Alliances,  Farming, Hoarding, Sacrificing characters dying on the vine, Roster slots, HP, LT, CP, BH, DP Daily and just the "gotta catch em all" acpect wanting to collect all the characters.

I remember a female co-worker saw me playing MPQ at luch break and she asked why i still played Candy Crush. I was in a after food coma so i didnt have the energy to explain the greatness of MPQ and how it is not just a match 3 game so i just said: They added Thor and the Hulk so the nerd in me won't let me quit.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    If he has Gambit, he can.

#nerfgambit
    I agree with your comment but please do NOT Nerf Gambit.

#donotnerfgambit 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Candy Crush is beyond dull. I've tried it twice and both times uninstalled it within a day or two.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've watched my 4 year old nephew play a match 3 game and struggle with aspects of it.

So I disagree, personally. Especially when you factor in things that aren't coloured tiles and moves.

But then I suppose it depends on whether you mean a 3 year old can *win* at this game. Anyone can *play* the game, but to succeed takes more mental gymnastics than your average 3 year old can muster.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The game is designed to have players mostly win.  There is the element of choosing the right scl or opponent (in pvp).  But really, its hook is giving you success so you get resources to apply to improve your characters.

That doesn’t say every match is easy, but 90% of them pretty much are.  Start from full health with good characters and certainly any young kid can do it.  You can split hairs about age, but my 7 year old can beat almost any crash with my champed 4* roster, for example.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes, and no....

In competitive PvP?  Hell no!  No letting my little nephews & neices anywhere near my phone.

Competitive PvE? Same thing... Gotta save my point for optimal clears.

It's a shame, I used to let my nephew play, back when prologue wasn't locked. But now I won't.

Nothing to do with skill... A lot to do with attention span (grinding nodes for literally hours every day), and my competitiveness.
  • Jaguar
    Jaguar Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Define 'win'
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jaguar said:
    Define 'win'
    Seconded. People going on and on about Gambit, but could a kid play the game well enough to earn one in the first place?

Hard to answer the question when the parameters are ill-defined.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    alaeth said:
    Yes, and no....

In competitive PvP?  Hell no!  No letting my little nephews & neices anywhere near my phone.

It's a shame, I used to let my nephew play, back when prologue wasn't locked. But now I won't.

Nothing to do with skill... A lot to do with attention span (grinding nodes for literally hours every day), and my competitiveness.
    Doing your initial clear, giving the phone to one of the kids, and letting them tap a node for a few hours is the optimal strategy.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The question is vague, so I’m just going to throw out a few of my own.

Can a 3 yr old win the match-3 game? Yes. Can an adult get lost in all the complexities of the full game? I definately do.

Does this bother me? No.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Probably be as good as the AI, AI sometimes wins, so there's my answer
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beware the 3-year-old selling your characters, or using up all your CP, or...
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Depends if the 3 year old is a master hacker.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Never mind me
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can confirm that my 3 (now 4) year old son easily won nodes with Gwenpool, 3* Strange, 3* Spider-Man.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    alaeth said:
    Yes, and no....

Doing your initial clear, giving the phone to one of the kids, and letting them tap a node for a few hours is the optimal strategy.

Newp!  Little bastard gets easily distracted... wouldn't be an optimal clear, meaning the points regen slower, meaning I'll be further behind compared to someone else with a similar roster and faster clear time.