If you had to pick just one set to complete (excluding Masterpieces), which would you pick?

Options
ElfNeedsFood
ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
edited December 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
With Booster Crafting, it's now viable that some people will be able to start completing sets.  If you had a choice of a set (or a block with the smaller sets), which would you complete?  Also, in the comments: Why?

If you had to pick just one set to complete (excluding Masterpieces), which would you pick? 47 votes

Origins
65%
bk1234sjechua__AdamHomeRnMainloop25James13blacklotusGrizzoMtGPQLagarthaFurordracoOhboyTomBJopeX37CiotogEmanon2000morgue427rafalelewereotter_Daromax_Phillmoore 31 votes
BFZ/OGW
4%
khurramMickleberry 2 votes
SOI/EMN
14%
TherosStormcrowfrostIvoryTHEMAGICkMANTilwin90theyrejustelvesjoerginger 7 votes
KLD/AER
2%
Rasalghul 1 vote
AKH
8%
babar3355ThéséeWaschechtGunmix25 4 votes
HOU
2%
Drewster 1 vote
Neutral
2%
ElfNeedsFood 1 vote

Comments

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Origins
    Origins has so much raw power and many key cards. Also helps that I'm missing pretty much all the mythics from it
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Origins
    i choose origins because it will always be valid unless octagon changes the way they define standard formst. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Origins
    Origins is likely to be the clear winner for most players until Oktogon changes Standard. It has some of the best cards in the current game without being over or under costed. The balance of cards was very nice and consistent until you went to mythic.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Origins
    It's the base of everything in this game and never gets the respect it deserves (though it appears to here).
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BFZ/OGW
    I choose Zendiker block because as it stands right now that's the set that I can complete along with SOI. These blocks have some of the very iconic cards and since I am all for Totp I don't care if they are legacy. 

I would go for origins due to the reasons stated by others but considering that I only want 2 of the remaining mythics from that set and also because origins+kld+aer+akh will be considered a single set for crafting purposes, from what I understand, I can't really target origins. The pool is too wide.

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Origins
    Aren't standard sets the ones that are targetable and legacy clumped together? 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Origins
    Ohboy said:
    this is something i would gladly love to have more info of. 
  • Mickleberry
    Mickleberry Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    BFZ/OGW
    I chose BFZ/OGW for the allies. I find that mechanic quite fun,  and would love to see what other ally decks can be made with all the multicolor walkers.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    this is something i would gladly love to have more info of. 
    Brigby edited his comment to make clear that Origins is targetable as a Standard set.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/752790/#Comment_752790 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Origins
    I chose BFZ/OGW for the allies. I find that mechanic quite fun,  and would love to see what other ally decks can be made with all the multicolor walkers.
    Challenge accepted. I will play TG this week with a different ally deck each day! 
  • Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    HOU
    I put h o u thinking realistically but I'd really rather have Origins hoping it never leaves and I would want SOI emk for fun in training grounds and old events.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Origins
    While it's tempting for me to pick Kaladesh, and I think it's the strongest set in standard, the fact that I actively avoid legacy PvP events means that long-term, it's a poor decision to invest in. Origins would give the most flexibility in play and deck building for the long-term.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Origins
    Allies are a lot of fun, and I really wanted to try to make an ingest deck, but never had the right cards to really pull it off to actively deny my opponent resources. I think I pretty much would have to have Ulamog, and I don't.
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Origins
    i think its quite simple to choose origins. Its the only stable set that remains and it has a really good curve of cards. Even though i might like as a theme better other sets, definetly for gaming purposes i would want every single card of origins
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Origins
    @Mickleberry i found as my second mythic at the times General Tazri, probably one of the best allies ever. Too bad i didnt have enough allies to make a good deck
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SOI/EMN
    I picked Soi/Emn simply because I find a lot of the cards in those sets a ton of fun, as well as powerful. I don't really care about competing much in standard events, but messing around and having fun wherever, and Soi block is my favourite block.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Origins
    I chose Origins as I need plenty from it and it should never rotate out of standard. Once Origins is a wrap, I’d go for BFZ/OGW, as I have fewest mythics from this set.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Origins
    I also chose Origins because it will never be out of standard and I really need Hixus.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BFZ/OGW
    khurram said:
    I choose Zendiker block because as it stands right now that's the set that I can complete along with SOI. These blocks have some of the very iconic cards and since I am all for Totp I don't care if they are legacy. 

I would go for origins due to the reasons stated by others but considering that I only want 2 of the remaining mythics from that set and also because origins+kld+aer+akh will be considered a single set for crafting purposes, from what I understand, I can't really target origins. The pool is too wide.

I read the announcement again. It appears that you can in fact target origins and other standard sets separately. I'll still go for legacy first. There is only one card from origins that i feel like will improve my decks. Alhammeret's Archive.

Ooh but its so good.  :|
    (also Infinite Obliteration)
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Origins
    My second set would be Eldrich moon, I have no mythic from it.