My 24hr tap journey

Comments

• aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Shoulda tapped the first sub, would have been much more profitable :tongue: .... but risks tipping your hand.

24hrs is nuts, but it is the ultimate limit.

Had Robert known his production would fall off, he would have done better to play optimally and start tapping say 6 or 8hrs prior, as it would have dug a much smaller initial deficit. Even that seems nuts to me. THe 2 times I tapped to win, it was only 2hrs early, on each sub, rather than a marathon on the least profitable, final sub.

Now he knows for next time ... the not-happening next time.

Thanks for the sacrifice and the documentation!
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    It's all nice and dandy until you're out of t5 in 7 days event due to 2 tapers...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bulls said:
    It's all nice and dandy until you're out of t5 in 7 days event due to 2 tapers...

Clearly they wanted top 5 more than you did.

(Said as someone who can't be bothered to tap. I'll get the rewards I'll get and play in a way I enjoy).

• Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Clearly... i wouldnt mind more challanging stuff to fight for better placement, but mindless repeating same thing for hours definitly isn't my definition of fun.
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    out of curiosity...what did your final node refresh timer display?
  • Pollozz
    Pollozz Posts: 82 Match Maker
    lol, hilarious dude, I guess everyone has a hobby on how to spend their time
  • hamsup_sotong
    hamsup_sotong Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    OJSP said:
    THe 2 times I tapped to win, it was only 2hrs early, on each sub, rather than a marathon on the least profitable, final sub.
    He knows how to do the other way of tapping already. He was just trying to prove that someone was willing to do it for 24 hours and what sort of advantage it would give. The reason why not doing it on day 1 is likely because he didn't have time to do it. We are talking about someone who are already willing to tap for several hours to get t1 or t2 here, not just your average t10 player. Doing it on the last day showed that all the effort that other players put in from the last 6 days became (excuse the pun) pointless.. I imagine it's pretty demoralising to see our effort for the last 6 days become fruitless.

Also, who said he didn't try to out tap the squid from day 1 anyway (those 400 pts lead on the last day wouldn't be due to the simple optimal play or robert missing a clear..)? :wink:
    Nah he tapped plenty before that as well.. while trying to catch me. 

As for me yeah i tapped for 2 subs on and off while on baby duty

Wasnt going to chase him after spotting his early start..
    Have better things to do lol

Hammy

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    babinro said:
    On one hand any player who does stuff like this completely deserves better placement. On the other hand this is a self destructive practice that is not only unhealthy for the game but the players of said game.

The SPIRIT of PvE is SPEED.   I've made this suggestion before but I'll post it again.

PvE Placement Rework
    1) Remove all node timers.

2) Make every clear attempt worth the same points. After 6 clears all nodes are worth 0 points FOREVER.

3) Implement a timer that starts the instant the game gives you access to your first tile switch and ends when the victory banner appears.

4) Placement is determined by points and ties are awarded to the quickest times.

5) The placement screen now shows total time played so you'd see something like this:
    -   (player name)  12456 points.    Clear Time:    1 Hour 23 minutes  15 seconds
    -   (player name)  12456 points.    Clear Time:    1 Hour 23 minutes  17 seconds
    -   (player name)  12456 points.    Clear Time:    1 Hour 24 minutes  25 seconds
    -   (player name)  12456 points.    Clear Time:    1 Hour 24 minutes  45 seconds
    One of the first PVE tests had a similar formula - well, the difference was the time spent wasn't visible and it counted from the beginning of the sub to the moment when you finished the last node. Awful lot of point ties (there were even two merc alliances full of people with perfect scores - the alliance names communicated a very negative opinion about that iteration of the test, lol). There were some other unpopular features present (no trivial nodes, scaling through the roof, 6 clears even on wave nodes), but the biggest complaint was the multi-tie thing. In fact, because of those complaints devs awarded top 1 rewards to everyone who achieved perfect score.

My point is: keeping effectively two separate scores (points and time) isn't perfect. I would like your proposition much better with one alteration: relate points you get for completing a node to the time you took to win the mission. For example node starts at 100 points; if you manage to make a winning move in less than X seconds, you get full points. Every X seconds available points are reduced by one, to a minimum of Y% of node's initial worth. Set the score floor so that players who only play for progression can take their time and still get the rewards. Each clear, the timer would reset and node would be back to 100% points (unless you wiped or retreated, to prevent "save scumming"). This way the fastest player would always have the highest score, but wouldn't be tied down to some arbitrary time.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like the only person on the forum who doesnt know what tapping is.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    tanis3303 said:
    If you just bracket shop, you can avoid all of this headache. I do it for every new release, all you have to do is join Line and bug the right people until someone tells you there's a new bracket open in your chosen time slice/clearance level.

I didn't even use the Line rooms for this one, no one wanted to play in slice 2 CL 6, so I couldn't get any updates and had to jump in blind. Got lucky and joined as #158 in the bracket. Did my clears, and was one of only 5 people that did full clears and stopped to maximize points. Even if those 4 other guys are all 8 hour tappers, who cares? I still get top ten by default.

System sucks, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying learn how to game it.
    This is not true; bracket-watching is no protection against tappers.

A LOT of people are watching brackets and waiting to jump in, including tappers! :dizzy:

Waiting for a flip lets you avoid the hypercompetitive crowd that starts at the slice opening, while simultaneously ensuring you aren't starting behind the refresh curve.

Those are both advantageous things, but they only ensure a good start. Tapping isn't about starting, it's about finishing.

Tapping bracketwatcher beats bracketwatcher, and insane tapper beats them both.

And hey, Honor Among Thieves is a very tap-friendly event. The 4E in sub 1, 4E and 3H in sub 2 are all goon nodes. The 4E in sub3 is a low health Nova and 2 goons. Get your tap on! :wink:
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    i have a feeling tapping is going to be crazy for the first sub of HAT.  Boosted gambit, a bunch of goons, new character, 48 hour sub rewards.  Seems like the perfect storm of tap conditions.  HAT backwards is TAH, if you say tap very quickly repeatedly you end up sounding like TAH...coincidence?  Maybe 
  • Addaran
    Addaran Posts: 72 Match Maker
    broll said:
    Rhycar said:

And total lol to the idea that this type of play deserves first place. What kind of game do you want this to be if that's considered optimal?
    I don't think someone deserves to place higher than me because they're in the right timezone, but that's been a thing in the game for as long as I've been playing...  If I had the time I'd use tapping to get around that horrible design and get top placement.

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Tap2Win is at worst at the same level as Pay2Win.

They are completely different levels. "Tap2Win" is not what the devs intended; they have come out and said so. They simply implemented a terrible system that allows for this in spite of their claims. "Pay2Win" is exactly what the devs intended.

The OP is exactly what's wrong with this game. Sorry, no kudos for you for demonstrating how to completely waste a day. I have no idea what you do for a living but I would get fired if I played this game all damn day long--by my employer and my family.
    I think effort is more worthy of being rewarded then just having a big bank account.  The only reason devs don't intend that is because it devalues Pay2Win which is how they make money.

I think it's very true. Atm, there is a bunch of factor for who's the best.
    Optimal time zone to play, pay2win, speed, unhealthy amound of time spend (dedication), "meta-cheating" (aiming for a fresh bracket).

Obviously, people will prefer the ones that advantage them. And D3 will prefer pay to win.

What is intended also as no bearing on personal opinion. Even if the devs say A is the way it's intended, each players can feel that B or C is much more deserving of getting the good rewards.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor

This is not true; bracket-watching is no protection against tappers.

You're probably correct...my experience is coming from CL6, which is never really hyper competitive. Thinking more about it, I'm sure there are at least 10 tap-happy folks patrolling the bracket rooms like greedy vultures
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Where's the post from Brigby that said something along the lines of: "We appreciate the dedication [to tapping], but that's not our intention of PvE gameplay"

As long as the nodes are unlocked forever, and the minimum point value is greater than zero, people WILL tap.

Especially as OP posts - when it has a distinct advantage of those that play how "we're supposed to".
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Therefore the whole top10 in pve will eventually be forced to tap here or there.

I read that as 'the whole tap10...' :) 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Therefore the whole top10 in pve will eventually be forced to tap here or there.

I read that as 'the whole tap10...' :) 
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    broll said:
    Rhycar said:

And total lol to the idea that this type of play deserves first place. What kind of game do you want this to be if that's considered optimal?
    I don't think someone deserves to place higher than me because they're in the right timezone, but that's been a thing in the game for as long as I've been playing...  If I had the time I'd use tapping to get around that horrible design and get top placement.
    There are five different starting times. If none of the five work for you, I would submit it's your real life getting in the way and not a timezone. I wake up at 5:15 a.m. to play PvE because it's the only feasible time for me to compete. One of the five will work.

Fixed formatting - Ducky
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Rhycar said:
    broll said:
    Rhycar said:

Rhycar talks here, because formatting sucks on mobile:

There are five different starting times. If none of the five work for you, I would submit it's your real life getting in the way and not a timezone. I wake up at 5:15 a.m. to play PvE because it's the only feasible time for me to compete. One of the five will work.
    Context is still missing. What time would you wake up if you werent playing?  It could be argued that waking up hours early or staying up hours later to play is just as unhealthy.  Why is that ok, but tapping for extra hours isnt?  
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I think anyone with that much dedication deserves the higher placement.

I'll stick to 5-7 clears depending on which placement I'm playing for.