Bringing back old cards and sets

FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
If Octagon decided to eventually expand from just adding the newest set of cards to bring back cards from old sets, what card(s) or set would you like to see them introduce?

I would love to see them bring back the Kamigawa block.  Would love to see how samurai and ninjas would fit into the mechanics of this game :) 
Tagged:

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are probably licensing issues that have caused them not to go to older sets, as well as there's a steady enough stream of new sets that they haven't had to.

However, I would like to see them expand the "small" sets with more cards at some point (common and uncommon only, please!) There were a lot of great cards in Oath of the Gatewatch, Eldritch Moon, and Aether Revolt that weren't included because they didn't do any of the common rarity cards from those sets. I'd also wish they'd have introduced the revolt mechanic in Aether Revolt. Possibly with effects like "whenever a creature or support you control is destroyed, <effect>"

That said, if they were to release an older set, I'd hope for Innistrad and Dark Ascension followed by the original Zendikar sets. Arlinn and Ally Gideon would both really benefit from the addition of relevant creature types.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I'd love to see the weatherlight/Phyrexian blocks done. I know there were no Planeswalker at that point but it wouldn't be too hard to convert Gerrad and his crew into P/W's
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    i vote for Shandalar. Because Rainbow Knights and Fairy Dragons. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Abenjes said:
    I'd love to see the weatherlight/Phyrexian blocks done. I know there were no Planeswalker at that point but it wouldn't be too hard to convert Gerrad and his crew into P/W's
    He wasn't one yet but Karn. How would a colorless walker work?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Urza was still alive then, so no Karn yet. Not sure which other planeswalkers were involved then.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    They could do Gerard, Miri and the rest of that crew.
  • TheDragonHermit
    edited December 2017
    Or Urza, him and Mishra would be interesting to see add in Yawgmoth for extra fun
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Abenjes said:
    I would love that. There were planeswalkers back then. A lot of the primary characters were pws, they just didn't have the card type. I'd love to see any of the pre mending pws in the game. I'd even love if the mending story stuff made an appearance. I was super happy when the time spiral block was out because it was so nostalgic and I really liked the alternate reality versions of old cards like ground shaker. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I just want Rabid Wombat after seeing your avatar, @FindingHeart8. Maybe +2/+2 for each support in play?  
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just want Rabid Wombat after seeing your avatar, @FindingHeart8. Maybe +2/+2 for each support in play?  
    I like this!  And props to recognizing the card ;)  in the mtg card game I had a blue/green deck with a playset of Rabid Wombats, and the rest of the deck was creature search + all the different clones...so I could make more Rabid Wombats
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Urza block was strong. But they will bring a card called 'urzas acadamy' 5mana support.... "If you draw a card you first  card gets full mana"

And then wonder how anyone can manage to break this thing... And nerf it after 6 month. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    Mirrodin was strong to... 

Skullclamp, artifact lands, disciple... 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Mirrodin was strong to... 

Skullclamp, artifact lands, disciple... 
    Hahaaha! Implement a _balanced_ version of Mirrodin here including all the broken paper cards in an actual balanced way!
  • IM_CARLOS
    Balanced like pre-nerf baral, omni or new perspective? ;)
  • Kinesia
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Balanced like pre-nerf baral, omni or new perspective? ;)

Nah, for _real_ balanced! The problem is it'd be way too much development work for the small custoemr base we have here to make it worth doing.

You have other options here than in paper... The Artifact lands could be colourless support tokens that give 1 mana at the start of turn or they could do something like deserts and worry about the number in your graveyard or even in your hand. There are a _lot_ of options and even if it wound up broken it would end up being in a very different way.

But, really, my personal love is Ravnica and the guilds, that's what I'd _really_ want.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    I'd love to see Scars of Mirrodin block. Interestingly enough, we already have 3 of the 5 planeswalkers from that block in Koth, Elspeth, and Tezzeret; with Koth and Tezzeret being the actual versions from the block while Elspeth's PQ version is from a later set. The other two are Karn and Venser. I wouldn't even want them to bring a colorless Karn into PQ because colorless wouldn't transfer over well. He'd either have to play only colorless or have access to all colors which would be far too weak or strong respectively. Venser could bring a very different style to the blue/white color combo though. I wouldn't even mind seeing a second version of Elspeth either. It would be interesting to see how they translate the Praetors and Geth, to name a few, into PQ as well as the big mechanic of the set: Infect.
  • Kinesia
    Heh, to balance Karn... He can play any colour common/uncommon but only colourless rares and up

• ZW2007-
    Pretty clever, I like it. There are some very strong colorless cards obviously but it's the utility commons and uncommons that are lacking.
  • TheDragonHermit
    Or he is limited to only colorless cards, but has amazing Mana gain.
  • ZW2007-
    I think it would be too difficult to build a decent deck for players with limited card pools if he was restricted to colorless. Colorless cards are already more expensive and less powerful than their colored equivalents because of the fact that they can be played anywhere. Just looking at colorless commons and uncommons in standard there are only 75 cards available and of those, 14 are essentially useless just because they rely on you having specific colored creatures or convert gems to certain colors. I suppose the converters still work if they change to a specific colors but the ones that change to your planeswalker's color would literally do nothing.