Is it worth it to rechampion 3*?

2»

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,583 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:

The rule is - a 5* cover is worth a near-infinite number of 4* covers, a 4* cover is worth a near-infinite number of 3* covers, and so on. 

As far as loot goes, a 5* is worth on average 3x 4*s, and 4*s are worth on average 4x 3*s.

That's in general. Every particular situation has its own considerations. And covers for characters not yet champed can be hard to value, and vary from character to character.

Also those averages are for the entire run of champ rewards. Rewards that are heavily back loaded.

Until you're over the hump choices will have to be made. :(

Rarity cuts both ways tho. You'll see those lower rarity again sooner, and more often. Pass them over and you'll end up burning more and more. I can tell you I burned a lot more 4* covers than I have of 3*s and 2*s, combined, since championing rolled out.
    I've been fairly fortunate that I haven't had to chose between covers to champ because of Iso for some time.  My 4* and 5* roster are, at this point, pretty well developed - so the 4* covers come in at a decent rate (faster, of course, when I'm drawing LTs,) and the 3* covers come in fairly steadily.  As a result, I prioritize based on how hard they are to get - 4* covers are much harder to get than 3*, and 5*s flow in at a trickle at best.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I sell my max 3* when the dupe is around level 210 or so ideally. That’s enough pop and health to not be Thanos fodder, and keeps slots moving.  

I sold Patch a little earlier, but was literally 5 minutes after his pvp ended and as I pulled a new cover for a fresh minted 266. 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    YES!
    You will get three 4*s, tons of CP, legendary tokens... and i even think you get more ISO from promoting and shield XPs that if you just sold them. Especially after recent XP changes.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    People...you don't SELL your maxxed out 3*s.  You just roster new ones.  People who are in a position to do this should have more than enough hero points to roster a new 3*.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    byc said:
    People...you don't SELL your maxxed out 3*s.  You just roster new ones.  People who are in a position to do this should have more than enough hero points to roster a new 3*.
    Hp isn't the issue, the 100k iso is.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    byc said:
    I sell them except for strange, thanos, im40.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Absolutely 3* farming is worthwhile. I don't hold onto the max champs. As soon as I champ the dupe I sell the max champ. I only keep about 15 roster spots for 3* dupes. I've cycled 12 already, with 5 more nearing 266.....

Generally, I start the dupe with the original at 257. Finish the original once the dupe is covered. Then, when I pull that 1st unusable cover I save 25k iso, if I don't have it already, sell the original and champ the dupe. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:

3. Roster the rest, but it is no big to sell a few of them off along the way.
    Ach! I forgot to cite this as a reason for duping them right away / not waiting .... to be ready to sell them when in an iso crunch!

Very few of the 3*s are musts. I sold 30 maxchamped 3s which freed up 3.15M iso over the couorse of the past year, which was enormously helpful. 

Had I not, I'd still be finishing 4s ... or have burned a lot of 3s and even more 4s ... or some combination of terrible things .... and also trying to come up with a couple dozen more roster slots.

TL;DR - not duping your maxchamps, and hanging onto those maxchmaps too long, will make—and keep!—you poor. Either failure will choke your roster economy. Keep the iso moving!
    Guess I should have been clearer, but I meant, selling some of the lesser character dupe covers along the way because of a lack of roster space is okay. For instance, I sold 2 Spiderman covers recently rather than roster him. I needed the space more for my dupe SG and BP.

A 3 star farm is good, but people shouldn't get hung up on the idea that they need to re-roster everyone because of "cover waste." 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:

Ach! I forgot to cite this as a reason for duping them right away / not waiting .... to be ready to sell them when in an iso crunch!

Very few of the 3*s are musts. I sold 30 maxchamped 3s which freed up 3.15M iso over the couorse of the past year, which was enormously helpful. 

Had I not, I'd still be finishing 4s ... or have burned a lot of 3s and even more 4s ... or some combination of terrible things .... and also trying to come up with a couple dozen more roster slots.

TL;DR - not duping your maxchamps, and hanging onto those maxchmaps too long, will make—and keep!—you poor. Either failure will choke your roster economy. Keep the iso moving!
    Guess I should have been clearer, but I meant, selling some of the lesser character dupe covers along the way because of a lack of roster space is okay. For instance, I sold 2 Spiderman covers recently rather than roster him. I needed the space more for my dupe SG and BP.

A 3 star farm is good, but people shouldn't get hung up on the idea that they need to re-roster everyone because of "cover waste." 
    Sorry but you burned your own point about lesser characters by saying you sold Spider-Man for Squirrel Girl..... Or does SG reference someone else??
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said: 
    smkspy said:

Sorry but you burned your own point about lesser characters by saying you sold Spider-Man for Squirrel Girl..... Or does SG reference someone else??
    Squirrel Girl just falls into that RNG favorite territory for me. And I dunno, a case can be made for them about being pretty equal.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't sell my max champs. But then all of my 4*s are already champed except Nightcrawler and ME Hulk. I create a dupe and max cover it. If I can't get to champing the dupe right away, then who cares?  I'll get to it eventually. 3* covers are everywhere. 
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    During my transition, while champing all the4*s, i will sell my maxed 3*s for the iso needed to champ any characters with expiring covers. I don't really use 3*s anymore, so I don't really feel the pain.  Freshly champed 3*s are more than enough to get me to 575/650 for PvP,  so it doesn't affect me to have lowerleveled 3*s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said: 
    smkspy said:

Squirrel Girl just falls into that RNG favorite territory for me. And I dunno, a case can be made for them about being pretty equal.

I'd probably pick Squirrel Girl over Spiderman too if I had to choose. She's more fun to play.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said: 
    smkspy said:

Have you looked at Spidey yellow?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said: 
    smkspy said:

Have you looked at Spidey yellow?
    But Doreen's Green has the best animation in the game except for Deadpool whales. :) 
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    But Doreen's Green has the best animation in the game except for Deadpool whales. :) 
    Those are contenders for best animation, but Grocket's Green and Dino's Purple are better in my mind. Both can always put a smile on my face.