Is it worth it to rechampion 3*?

razput1n
razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
I've recently started getting a few 3* to 266 and getting new covers for them, is it worth rechampioning them?

I have plenty of HP atm so slots aren't a big issue. But I imagine getting back the iso from xp  or something will take forever.

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I rechamped all mine. It's trading iso for cp/hp/lts. 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Yes, definitely worth it, especially if hp for slots is not an issue. Champ rewards are much better than the 500 iso you would otherwise get. Plus once you get another to 266 you can sell one off for almost enough to champion the next one.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm doing it. It's a bit of an ISO setback, but 120k or whatever isn't two weeks' worth of grinding like it used to be. And having that 266 available when their PVP rolls around makes a huge difference compared to a freshly champed character.
  • razput1n
    razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the info. Will start doing this then!
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    razput1n said:
    Thanks for the info. Will start doing this then!
    This might help illustrate, if you ignore the sarcastic projections about 6*s:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/722411/#Comment_722411

That accounting doesn't take into account the champ rewards at each rarity. Safe to say that if you thought 2s were worth farming, the higher rarities are no-brainers, just take longer, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. More time between having to re-iso a new copy!

It's also worth noting that those calculations do not include the increased XP value of applying covers / champ levels.

When taking those into account, farming 2* and 3* becomes iso-neutral (or iso-positive if you also account for the iso value of tokens / covers in champ rewards).

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wholly support farming 3-stars but I can't bring myself to do it... yet. I've recently reached level 266 on two of my 3-stars and a whole batch more will be coming soon. But for now, I'm selling dupes for 500 ISO because ISO is my bottleneck for true advancement.

With ten 4-stars at 13 covers and another half dozen at 11-12 covers, I can't afford to be spending 120,000 ISO to dupe a 3-star that isn't moving my roster forward. I have to hoard CP and LTs in order to avoid the dreaded 14th (and 15th, and 16th...) covers that go to waste dying in my queue. I don't want to hoard. I want to spend my tokens and CP on pulls so that I can start better covering my 5-stars. Duping and re-championing 3-stars is going to delay that process by tying up a bunch of ISO I could use to finish up the 4-star tier and get to where I want to be.

So, for now, I'm not farming 3-stars. Once I get closer to finishing out the 4-star tier I'll re-evaluate.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

I see the 3* dupes as my little ISO piggy banks. If I can afford it, I'll keep the 266 around and champ a new one.

If I run into danger of wasting a 4* / 5* cover, I can cash them in for a quick 100k iso.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I wholly support farming 3-stars but I can't bring myself to do it... yet. I've recently reached level 266 on two of my 3-stars and a whole batch more will be coming soon. But for now, I'm selling dupes for 500 ISO because ISO is my bottleneck for true advancement.

With ten 4-stars at 13 covers and another half dozen at 11-12 covers, I can't afford to be spending 120,000 ISO to dupe a 3-star that isn't moving my roster forward. I have to hoard CP and LTs in order to avoid the dreaded 14th (and 15th, and 16th...) covers that go to waste dying in my queue. I don't want to hoard. I want to spend my tokens and CP on pulls so that I can start better covering my 5-stars. Duping and re-championing 3-stars is going to delay that process by tying up a bunch of ISO I could use to finish up the 4-star tier and get to where I want to be.

So, for now, I'm not farming 3-stars. Once I get closer to finishing out the 4-star tier I'll re-evaluate.

Do you have HP to roster dupes? You could save 13 covers by rostering a dupe without leveling it. Three-star covers don't come around very often, so it might be a better solution than just Selling them off.

Another possibility is simply to sell off the level 266 version and reinvest the ISO in the baby version, but I suppose it depends on how much you'll use the big version. Personally I have found it useful to have the dupes available for essential nodes and such.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Do you have HP to roster dupes? You could save 13 covers by rostering a dupe without leveling it. Three-star covers don't come around very often, so it might be a better solution than just Selling them off.

Another possibility is simply to sell off the level 266 version and reinvest the ISO in the baby version, but I suppose it depends on how much you'll use the big version. Personally I have found it useful to have the dupes available for essential nodes and such.

HP isn't a problem, my 2-star farm handles that. That's a good idea to roster the dupe and let it sit at 1-13 covers until I'm in a better place to re-champ.

I don't want to sell the two max-champed 3-stars I have now as they are IM40 and Dr. Strange - two guys I still rely on. (If it they were someone like Sentry and Beast I'd have no problem selling them).
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 35 max-champed 3*s and have champed 26 of the dupes. It's totally worth it.  The 120k ISO can be gained in about 3 days, so that's not too big of a deal.

If you really need ISO, you can always sell a level 266 if your dupe is already champed.  I haven't done that myself, but some of my alliance mates have because their dupes were in the 230 range and they needed to ISO for 5*s.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I want to start a 3* farm, but I've been so ISO starved it hasn't happened.  So far I have 2 3* dups that would have been champed had they the ISO.  Instead I sold 2 patch covers and have 6 IM40 covers and another patch cover coming up that will most likely be sold.  I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but at this point I'm struggling to see when.  Between my 5*s getting to champ central, 7 13 covered 4* and a 2* farm that's in shambles with only 4 currently champed I would really help to win the super lotto ISO jackpot (that's a thing right?)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    I would really help to win the super lotto ISO jackpot (that's a thing right?)
    Yeah it was a thing when they first gave out the Shield Rank awards.  My 900k ISO lasted about 5 minutes.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    I want to start a 3* farm, but I've been so ISO starved it hasn't happened.  So far I have 2 3* dups that would have been champed had they the ISO.  Instead I sold 2 patch covers and have 6 IM40 covers and another patch cover coming up that will most likely be sold.  I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but at this point I'm struggling to see when.  Between my 5*s getting to champ central, 7 13 covered 4* and a 2* farm that's in shambles with only 4 currently champed I would really help to win the super lotto ISO jackpot (that's a thing right?)
    If it's a thing I need to know where I can buy tickets. Like, yesterday.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    If you are in the 4-5 transition it it is a drain on resources but it is worth it , I have restarted my 4th 3 star and it is already starting to pay for itself.  The down side is the HP and ISO squeeze when you have to invest for the new slots and getting them to champion again.  I would recommend waiting to do this when you have a good stable of maxed 4's (20+) if you are early on in maxing your 4's I do not think this is a good investment of time or resources.  Also max the ones that are produced from your 2's first, they grow the fastest.
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Yup...it is...for the lts and more so now that they add 5stars into the champ level mix..I have farmed through almost my entire 3 star roster and they are now so readily available that it's a no brainer to farm them.
    This game is all about lts and cp for most vet players and this is a good way to actually make pulling 3s kind of exciting again
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    As for the iso overhead...it helps a little if you wait until your 2nd copy is fully covered and use the proceeds from the sale of the max champ towards the 2nd copy 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    @aesthetocyst

I'm passing on those covers because:
    1.  I've got a 14th DD 5* to save in the next week.  All my ISO since that pull have gone there since he was 255 at the time.
    2.  On 11/30 I get a 14th Thanos.  It shouldn't take me a full 2 weeks go get him from 360 to champ, but at least a week.

I can't imagine saving 6-8 3 covers for a dup farm are worth flushing 5* champ levels or am I missing something?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Way I look at 3 star farming is based on priorities.

1. Roster all 3s feed by 2s. Will always be your fastest growing dupes. Already got a champed lazy cap at 170 and patch at 183. So cap off today to help champ rogue.

2. Roster characters that RNG magically favors for reason unknown: IM40, 3strange, OK, Blade, IF...these guys all just so happen to be essential 3 star characters.

3. Roster the rest, but it is no big to sell a few of them off along the way.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,583 Chairperson of the Boards

With my 3*s, once I get them to 261 I make a duplicate.  I apply covers to that duplicate until they are either 4/4/4 or fully covered, then I advance the primary.  After I get the primary up to 266, I level the duplicate as soon as I get a cover.  It's only a few days worth of Iso, it doesn't break the bank - I just follow a simple rule.  The rule is - a 5* cover is worth a near-infinite number of 4* covers, a 4* cover is worth a near-infinite number of 3* covers, and so on.  So if it's a choice between leveling a 5* and applying a bonus cover, and leveling a 4* and applying 3 bonus covers, I'll do the 5*.

I get the occasional Iso crunch, but I have a good stock of 3*s that I can tap into now.  Only two of them are past the half-way point, but they're there, and I can sell them whenever I need an infusion of Iso.

• GreenMachine
    GreenMachine Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Dear OP,

You say HP isn't an issue. Yet.
    Believe me once you get one to 266, the rest are soon to follow. And don't forget to roster all the new 4* and 5*! That 40+ @ 1000 HP a piece plus all the new ones!

You may want to start slowly by only rechamping 3*s that have direct 2* feeders.

These will be your fastest 3*s and probably the first ones reaching 266 anyway.