5* Transition

Straycat
Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
I am nearly done with the 4* tier. I have 3 at 1/5/5 that I have to ignore for now, 2 limited, 2 covered and waiting on the 14th, and 2 still new and uncovered. So I guess I have to start leveling up my 5*s, right? I have Dr Strange ready to champ, but my next highest are 11, 10, and 4 at 9 covers. They are all in classics, so eventually I should be getting 1 cover from the updated 4* rewards, possibly.
Should I champ Strange, or start softcapping my highest 5*s? Or should I just champ Yondu before I get his 14th, since he's boosted right now? I'm mostly pve so I know Strange would help, but I don't want pvp to become impossible.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strange is great in PvE, but his low health makes him a liability in PvP - it's not that hard to take an opposing Strange out before he can do anything.
    Who are the other fivestar characters with many covers? Do you have a hoard or are you just opening legendaries whenever they come?
  • Straycat
    I don't hoard, the most I did was a week or so for Thor, which got me my last 2 Strange covers.
    Not sure how useful any of my 5*s could be when leveled.

Phoenix 3/5/3
    OML 5/2/3
    Black Widow 1/4/4
    Peter Parker 4/4/1
    Banner 5/1/3
    BSSM 4/3/2
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017

In terms of PvP, it won't become impossible with just one 5* champ. Here're my experiences, as well as others: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67688/do-i-champ-a-5-if-im-in-the-4-transition#latest

If you would like to level up your 5*, I recommend taking them to 360. That won't affect your scaling in PvP. OML-Phoenix can still tide you through your fair share of PvP, and Strange's Blue passive double dips on OML's (and Phoenix's) strike tiles.

If you want to dip your toes into 5* land, feel free to champ Strange and back him up with lv360 OML and Phoenix. If not, you can bring all of them up to lv360 first, see how things are like for you, and then decide if you want to champ Strange.

• Quebbster

In terms of PvP, it won't become impossible with just one 5* champ. Here're my experiences, as well as others: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67688/do-i-champ-a-5-if-im-in-the-4-transition#latest

If you would like to level up your 5*, I recommend taking them to 360. That won't affect your scaling in PvP. OML-Phoenix can still tide you through your fair share of PvP, and Strange's Blue passive double dips on OML's (and Phoenix's) strike tiles.

If you want to dip your toes into 5* land, feel free to champ Strange and back him up with lv360 OML and Phoenix. If not, you can bring all of them up to lv360 first, see how things are like for you, and then decide if you want to champ Strange.

This is good advice. It's probably a good idea to start a hoard too, then if you decide to go to fivestar land you can start the journey with Three new shinies.
  • Straycat
    Quebbster said:

This is good advice. It's probably a good idea to start a hoard too, then if you decide to go to fivestar land you can start the journey with Three new shinies.
    Appreciate it. I know hoarding would be the next step, but I wanted to know if any of my classic 5*s are worth leveling as is. Since my iso flood gates are opening I need to hoard anyways.
    I figured Phoenix could help as support, but wasn't sure if OML is good enough with only 1 power over 3 covers. Maybe Widow of Parker would be better since they have 4 covers in 2 powers? Parker boosted has been decent in his essential nodes at least. I'll focus on Strange and Phoenix for now
  • Quebbster
    I like using OML to grind PvE, so he's not completely worthless. Much like Strange he is not a PvP threat though.
  • Straycat
    Eh not really, I took forever to get 1 yellow cover so I never found him that useful. Just spent all my iso leveling Strange and Phoenix to 360. They are still under some of my boosted 3*s, so I doubt my experience will change much yet
  • Straycat
    Update, Daredevil now has 10 covers. 2/3/5. His heal is lacking, but his purple would go well with Strange's blue. Thinking of leveling him up a bit while I don't have any 4*s that really need iso. He's next to leave latest, tho.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor

The best advice I would give you, is do not level anything unless you have it fully covered. Otherwise it is a waste of ISO.  Don't go into battle with a big gun, with no ammo. 

• Straycat
    My Daredevil is 4/4/5 now, thanks to a couple cover swaps. Love using him so far, leveled up to 360. Might make him my first 5* champ, but I'm in no rush. Also don't have the iso. I'm enjoying having some usable 5*s now, and pvp hasn't changed. 

• Straycat
    And I just pulled my 14th Daredevil. Do I go ahead and champ him? Or champ Devil Dino (1 cover on the vine)? Or neither?
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I think Daredevil is great.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    DD is great. But playing a single 5* in PvP can be huge pain. Think if you have a good companion for him (like championed Medusa) before championing. 

Also - if you are not ready to champion 5* - don't open the Legendary tokens. Hoard a bit and open when you decide you want to jump in the 5* land. That way you might get 2-3 fully covered 5* and enjoy the place way more.
  • Straycat
    I champed him. I think 1 champ 5 is a nice area for MMR. PVE is great, and I hit 900 more often in PVP. I think his true heal is the only thing making PVP doable.