Latest Legends - max all 3?

kennn712
kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I've recently been pulling my hoard and have ended with a max covered Daredevil and Gambit (yay). However, my Thor is sitting at 8 covers.

The question is, do I keep pulling to cover him and get champ levels on my Gambit and DD or hold tight and wait for DD and Gambit to rotate out?

Are champ levels on 5* a significant improvement over LV 450?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Yes you want champ levels on 5s you are going to use.
    They about double their power every 20 levels.
  • Coulson_Lives
    Coulson_Lives Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Absolutely keep pulling.  Get them as high as you can.  Especially Gambit although Daredevil is also excellent.
  • kennn712
    Bowgentle said:
    Double their power!?!?!  :o
  • Bowgentle
    kennn712 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Yes.
  • kennn712
    edited November 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    kennn712 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Yes.
    Do you think it would still be worth it to get the 3 latest to 465-470 if I will be champing Bolt and Thanos over the next 2 weeks or so (from 4* rewards update)?

I'm currently thinking a bunch of 450-455 (DD, BB, Thanos and Gambit) will be a good foundation rather than 470 DD/Thor/Gambit.

Or is 5* levels really that massive?

Edit: Note that these are all my first 5* champs so I have no other 5* champ at the moment except for DD
  • Bowgentle
    kennn712 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    kennn712 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Yes.
    Do you think it would still be worth it to get the 3 latest to 465-470 if I will be champing Bolt and Thanos over the next 2 weeks or so (from 4* rewards update)?

I'm currently thinking a bunch of 450-455 (DD, BB, Thanos and Gambit) will be a good foundation rather than 470 DD/Thor/Gambit.

Or is 5* levels really that massive?

Edit: Note that these are all my first 5* champs so I have no other 5* champ at the moment except for DD

Absolutely keep pulling.
    The current batch of 5s is one of the best ever, even when you assume that Gambit will be nerfed eventually.

The more levels on DD the better.
    Bolt will be a staple in all your teams.
    Thanos... eh. He's for PVE use.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    You have to decide what part of the game you like better and want to be more competitive on:
    Having a broad base of many 5 star champs is more useful for PVE to play at higher levels on more events. To play at a higher level in PVP, you need 2 top-end characters that pair well. After all, you can only play 3 at a time (featured and your best 2). Best right now are Gambit/Black Bolt and Black Panther/Thanos. I found that getting 4+ 5-stars opens the door to compete in PVE first, but at some later point, you will want to get two 470+ 5-stars for PVP and Sim events.
  • kennn712
    edited November 2017
    Kevmcg said:
    You have to decide what part of the game you like better and want to be more competitive on:
    Having a broad base of many 5 star champs is more useful for PVE to play at higher levels on more events. To play at a higher level in PVP, you need 2 top-end characters that pair well. After all, you can only play 3 at a time (featured and your best 2). Best right now are Gambit/Black Bolt and Black Panther/Thanos. I found that getting 4+ 5-stars opens the door to compete in PVE first, but at some later point, you will want to get two 470+ 5-stars for PVP and Sim events.
    How is the matchmaking? Is 470+ faced against similar 470's and 450's faced against 450's? Generally speaking of course, as everyone is different.

Or will I see people with 470's+ when I'm only running 455's?
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    In your case, your PVP matching will now be a lot different with two 5-stars. Your "baby" five stars will show to the rest of us in 5 star land and you will no longer see the 4 star teams you are used to until over 900 or so points. It will actually get tougher to climb to 900 at times because you are low guy in this tier. Having 2 paired 470+ would allow you to graduate to "adult" 5 stars. The trade-off is only having 2, not 5, strong characters as PVE events cycle. You have to make the choice which you want to tackle first.
  • kennn712
    Kevmcg said:
    In your case, your PVP matching will now be a lot different with two 5-stars. Your "baby" five stars will show to the rest of us in 5 star land and you will no longer see the 4 star teams you are used to until over 900 or so points. It will actually get tougher to climb to 900 at times because you are low guy in this tier. Having 2 paired 470+ would allow you to graduate to "adult" 5 stars. The trade-off is only having 2, not 5, strong characters as PVE events cycle. You have to make the choice which you want to tackle first.
    How would PvP be for dual "baby" 5* champs for someone who typically plays until 650 or even 575 if I get lazy? Is reaching 575 a problem you would say? I'm not looking to suddenly be a consistent 900/1200 player... PvE is my main game mode
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle said:
    Could you explain this more?  I'm comparing my 458 Parker with a 481 Parker,  and the higher level Parker has roughly 19 percent more health and match damage, as well as ability damage.  What's the part that gets doubled?  
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, depending on the size of your remaining hoard and your ability to acquire CP, LTs and ISO, it might be a good idea to try and spread your pulls to pick up the next 5* while adding levels to your other remaining 5*s.

Even though I am having a great time playing with Thor, I am afraid he won't be very competitive for PvP after his boost period ends. Gambit, on the other hand, is as close to a Tier 0 character as it gets. In my mind, it's not so much a question of "if" he will get a nerf but rather a question of "when". That is unless, they release other characters that match or surpass him.

If you are thinking in terms of the long term, Daredevil looks to be a good, safe investment. While not meta-breaking, his self-heal and purple stun ability are top-notch and his green is pretty good for what it does. He has the toolkit to take on just about anyone in the 5* except Gambit. The problem is he may not be very speedy and currently his best partner is Thanos, me thinks.

Unless you are a big Thor fan and have been waiting for him to join the 5* tier, I would recommend on waiting for the stats of the next 5* to be released before pulling anymore. If you don't like what you see, you can go all in for the current three or save for another day.

But if you are a Thor fan, I highly recommend you champ him now and enjoy him in all his thunderous glory while you can. He is really fun to play with and it's a shame he falls into Tier 2 for PvP unboosted. But for now, have fun!

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    kennn712 said:
    Bowgentle said:

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    5* champs approximately double their stats from 450 to 550. Here's the link to example data for Peter Parker:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ieb9bCXArK9LhJN1_n8DBPOnp-tthOd0S6Fe3Yk6kg/edit?usp=sharing

And here's plotted data:

• _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    kennn712 said:
    Kevmcg said:
    How would PvP be for dual "baby" 5* champs for someone who typically plays until 650 or even 575 if I get lazy? Is reaching 575 a problem you would say? I'm not looking to suddenly be a consistent 900/1200 player... PvE is my main game mode
    First of all, keep pulling ! 2nd, with two latest champ 5* (Gambit!) you already ARE a consistant 1200 player ! Don't let others tell you otherwise. Getting to 900 is a breeze, Forget about "baby 5*/adult 5*" nonsense, just play and enjoy your game and extra 15cp. Keep pulling latest, champ Thanos and Bolt as you get their covers. No fear.
  • kennn712
    Thanks for all these responses forumites! You guys are not making my decision any easier! :P

I guess that leads to whether a 5* of 470 and a lower 5* at 450 (in my case Thanos and BB) is an easy target? 

So many good points on both fronts!!!

I currently have a champed DD, 13 cover Gambit and 8 cover Thor with 110~ pulls remaining.... Tough decisions ahead

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Three options for me here:

1.  Pull for Thor now, champ him and enjoy being a Whale with him boosted 90 levels for the next week.  Maybe get a bigger Daredevil at the same time, but unlikely to get him to 470 (although I'd say 485+ is more a difference maker).
    2.  Wait to see how good the next 5* is and then decide.
    3.  Go back into hoard mode until both Gambit and Daredevil have left packs.  Then pull for a totally fresh set of 5*s.

Whilst I'd love to get one or two really big 5*s, at a push I'd probably advocate the latter route and aim to have lots of characters in the 450-460 range and enjoy the options and variety they offer.

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Make em fat!!
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Is the "20 champ levels = double the power" an anecdotal thing?  It's been mentioned before, but the closest thing to an explanation that I've found was similar to Aes' claims to how stat increases at the upper tiers jump at higher intervals, which is more relevant for boosting.  

Rhycar's made a similar claim in 5* Daredevil's thread about how much more effective he would be at 470+ but didn't further explain, besides the inherent 17% bump in stats.  
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    This is not true.  A 550 5* is exactly double what a 450 5* is.  Health wise, power wise, match damage wise, etc.  So they double, but it's every 100 levels, not 20.

Edit: the same is true for 4*.  370 is 2x what a 270 is, and the boost to 478 doubles that if they're boosted.