Let's workshop the PVP crisis together!

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay, so people were unhappy about the wins-based system. And people are unhappy about the points-based system. And in the announcement thread, the developers noted that both systems kind of sucked for different reasons. So beyond actually complaining, what is the SOLUTION?

So I am creating this thread based off some ideas I had in order for the forum to use its collective voice to see if we can finally fix PVP/Versus going into the next season. Here are my thoughts:

1) Leave Versus as Points-based the way it is. No changes. This is pretty self-explanatory. See how the Reality Season currently is? Leave it like that forever. 

2) Go back to the Wins-based setting of last season as-was. No changes. Again, pretty easy to grasp. Go back to the way it was a few days ago and leave it. 

3) Keep a Points-based system, BUT eliminate progress loss. This keeps a points-based record standing wherein tracking down the meatiest targets still reaps rewards, there is still strategy behind who you hit and why, and the speed at which you gain rewards is up to you. BUT it also eliminates the reason most of the people who hate points-base hate it: the Sisyphusian feeling of getting slammed back down the progress standings when you take an L (or ten). EDIT: Update here: each player could have two sets of points. One "gross" that doesn't decrease and is used for progress rewards, and one "net" that works the way current Points-based works that would determine placement. 

4) Return to the Wins-based system, but add the 1200 point/15 CP reward back in. The loss of the 15CP from progression seemed, to me, the biggest complaint of the Wins-based season. I doubt most people would have had a problem with the change if not for this loss. So add it back in. Make it the progress reward at, say 45 wins?

5) Return to the Wins-based system, but lower the progress required to earn rewards. The other problem people had with the W-B system was that they felt they were earning rewards much slower than they were under the P-B system. It was the opposite of my experience, but I empathize. What would be good figures here? 12 wins for the 10CP? 30 for the 4* cover? Add your suggestions to the comments.

6) Wins-based system + the 15CP added back in + lessen the wins required for rewards. I feel like this is the cheat code option and almost everyone will pick it, but I get that the developers might hesitate and assume this is just giving stuff away. But if I DON'T include it as an option, I assume a lot of people are going to pick "Other" and suggest this.

7) Other - Explain in the comments!

EDIT 8) This came up late, and I can't edit the poll: Run both wins-based AND points-based simultaneously. It's basically the wins-based system, but rewards ALSO have a points value, and if you hit 900 points well before you get 40 wins, you get that 4* cover reward. Vice versa if you hit 40 wins well before 900 points. 

Let's workshop the PVP crisis together! 145 votes

Leave PVP as the current points-based system
11%
Beast1970PorkBellyWilsonFiskkillercoolSnowcaTTacescrackedd1amonddawgPinko_McFlyaesthetocystbeyonderbubalphabetaRhycarMercatorQubortOldManWolvsRod5 16 votes
Go back to the wins-based system with no changes
0%
Points-based WITHOUT loss of progression
23%
SpoitStarfuryYasuruthecoffeemugatomzedTaganovmoss04NabistayUNC_SamuraiTrilateralusBlindman13Punisher5784irwandojreddMoosePrimetdglory49Jarvindevade420SNKAllenkrak0 34 votes
Wins-based WITH the 15CP reward added (45 wins?)
5%
brisashiColognoisseurLLohmNovaFalconcapi121EagledavepandrekFarmerbink 8 votes
Wins-based with fewer wins required per reward
17%
TheVultureThe FinnragnaradyT_REZ5000axmossDoc LSteellatchSpudgutterGigioRWEBGASRedLionAstralgazerSteve111ChattyWhackerturbomooseLeaveMyCookiesjkzlLandalefreeuser0991MrKotlet 26 votes
Wins-based with 15CP reward and fewer wins required (basically opts 4+5 together)
30%
ShuinoCoppsfreakygeekWonko33LegallyUndeadwymtimesirwookieechrisGrizz875Pongierdvargas1Pessiroberts_2CyberVenom2001MeanderPollozzmotownjunkieKevmcgZalastaArcanaMoonGranule 44 votes
Other - I'll explain in the comments
11%
rixmithCNashnonnel1TiggidaZootSaxmeekersXWelcomeDeathOrionbluewolfmaguirenumber6shadowyoshiJabrony_GeoffshartattackA_Wise_ManTheHungryPetBigMike182PenniesForEveryone 17 votes

Comments

• NotBAMF
    edited November 2017
    I, personally, am okay with any options that ISN'T option #1, so I'll hold off on voting.

Also, I decided not to include some cross-breed options like "Points-based, but take the 1200 point/15 CP reward away and put it back as a placement reward" or "Wins-based, but make it so your losses remove your progress" because it seems like those are counter-intuitive to what anyone actually wants. Including those would have been pointless. 
  • Il galvanico
    Il galvanico Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Wins-based with 15CP reward and fewer wins required (basically opts 4+5 together)
    Wins-based with 15CP reward and fewer wins required and/or defensive wins count as well.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

The open question for me is whether you should lose points if you retreat or lose (or lose connection - can't really get around that)

If you don't, you'd probably incentivize people throwing matches to drop in score to have the potential for higher value matches. On the other hand you might question if that's much of a problem.

• Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I will tell you what system will be implemented. It will be the one that makes them the most money. Revenues must have been down significantly for them to end win based so soon.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    why not a hybrid of both win and/or points making progression. but like it's 1st iteration win progression doesn't get 4* or 15 cp like in the previous win progression table, just 2nd 3* for 40 wins.
  • nonnel1
    nonnel1 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Cat memes will solve this issue
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    I'm past caring. 
    These guys don't care about us why should we care about them.
    I go back to the Deadpool daily node that awards two CP.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Point based as it was/is, but move CP to placement.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    they will never not have point loss.  shields would be unnecessary.  a compromise would be to give a reset time on your shield once it expires, as in a certain number of minutes after your shield expires before you could lose points. An example would be a blanket 7 minute grace period after your shield expires before you could be hit, or the grace period could be longer or shorter, depending on the length of the shield.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    I voted option 3, but after thinking more I'd have probably chosen option 7, other.  Leave it like it was and track points two ways, track progression points separately from placement points.  Progression points don't get taken away with losses, placement points function normally and can be lost.
  • NotBAMF
    they will never not have point loss.  shields would be unnecessary.  a compromise would be to give a reset time on your shield once it expires, as in a certain number of minutes after your shield expires before you could lose points. An example would be a blanket 7 minute grace period after your shield expires before you could be hit, or the grace period could be longer or shorter, depending on the length of the shield.
    I didn't mean for any of the options to imply that there would be NO point tracking. I think that's still integral to placement. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone has any issues with that aspect. I was just workshopping the progression dilemma. :)

Roland113 said:
    I voted option 3, but after thinking more I'd have probably chosen option 7, other.  Leave it like it was and track points two ways, track progression points separately from placement points.  Progression points don't get taken away with losses, placement points function normally and can be lost.
    I first saw that idea bandied about literally MINUTES after I posted this poll. If I could add it as an option, I would, but as far as I can see, the forum doesn't let you edit polls after you create them (which makes sense, but makes me feel like a schmuck for not thinking of that option myself). 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    If you can't lose points it's no longer PvP, it's just a grind-fest where your opponents happen to be the rosters of other players.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I am not saying the PVP system is perfect, to call this a "PVP crisis" is a little far fetched.  As I said in the other thread, 1500 days the game has been live of those 1462 has been point based and 38 has been win based.  38 days does not make a "PVP crisis".  If they would like to do a win based progression some how, fine, but points matter.  They matter for placement for the event, they matter for the season placement and the matter for the Ally placement.  So points need to be involved some how just like they are for PVE and your personal and ally rewards.  I have seen a lot of great ideas from other people that will not destroy what PVP is, Player verse Player.  Yes Yes I know it is not live but it is against somebody else's team. 
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    PvP without point loss is just PvE.  I don't think that will ever be an option.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I think a reasonable compromise is Point-based with no point loss for defensive losses unless you are over 900 points. This allows those who just want to play for progression to get to the 4* (but not the CP). Competing for placement still would require shielding and considering your defensive teams. There would still be point loss for losing battles you initiate, so there wouldn't be huge incentive to throw fights to your friends. 
  • NotBAMF
    I've just seen the idea thrown around as this, and I steal it to further explain how option #3 would work:

You would have basically two sets of points. You would have your progression points (or "gross points", if you will), which can only increase and can never decrease. These are the points used towards progression rewards.

You would also have placement points (or "net points"), which is your points total minus whatever points you have lost. These are the points used towards placement scores.

So you would have "points loss" without progress loss. Last season simultaneously kept track of points and wins. I don't see why this would be any worse. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve been a long time proponent of points without progression losses idea. Way less complicated change that keeps one of the only good things about points PvP (the variable points)
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    I'd like to see a hybrid system: You earn your progression rewards either through wins or points.

E.G. whatever you hit first (16 wins OR 575 points) will earn you 10cp. 

This has the benefit of keeping it simple (win count and points) and progression rewards are within realistic reach for all players.