One day will this game just shut down and be gone?

brisashi
brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
The recent announcement about Marvel Heroes has me thinking about this. Obviously there aren't any signs that suggest the game is going anywhere any time soon, it seems to be doing well enough by all appearances, but what about the future?

It would be cool if there was some sort of offline experience for players that had supported the game even after the day when the servers are closed down. I know that a console version exists but it really pales in comparison to the mobile title given the ever expanding roster of characters.

I'm curious if any other players have thoughts on this. As much as I'd like some way to play around with characters I've earned after the devs and publisher move on to something else, developing such a thing would take time and money so it might not fit any business model. I don't think I would feel "owed" by anyone if the game went away, but I can't help but think about it.

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

Of course. Just like pretty much every online game in history.

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Starfury said:

Of course. Just like pretty much every online game in history.

I suppose you're right. It's a bummer but it makes sense. May as well have fun while it lasts.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    It depends on how they want to end it. Adventure Time Puzzle Quest is now offline, but people can still play it without new contents and online support.
    Doesn't matter how Demiurge/D3 want to end it, it'll be 100% Marvel's call.
    And you bet they don't want any relics hanging around.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,764 Chairperson of the Boards

I would be happy to be able to do anything offline right now: I'd love to take a look at my roster, future rewards, events, etc... while waiting for my wi-fi to connect (which can take a while especially when I'm in the countryside).

But, yes, it would be great to be able to play this game in one form or another for as long as you want.

• Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Good, the sooner the better.

• Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    D3 - when does your license for the Marvel characters expire?

I’d certainly want to know before spending anymore $$$.

Will this game shut down at the end of the year too?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    D3 - when does your license for the Marvel characters expire?

I’d certainly want to know before spending anymore $$$.

Will this game shut down at the end of the year too?
    Lol. The last thing they would tell you up front is a danger sign that warns of the end. If you get a month that’s pretty generous.

I’n sure that the license will continue as long as everyone is making money.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    If/when they do shut the game down, I would like to recommend they have a plan in place to patch it over to the console version in its final form. Or set it up as a game in the online store or something. I know I would pay to continue to be able to build my roster long after my mobile game was gone. Set it up in some way that all events run in a sequence over and over, with a reward structure in place (obviously no new characters), and that the "end" of the game would be when you've repeated it enough to get everyone available to max champion and get sick of repeating all the missions for nothing.

Actually, if I wasn't jailed and could post, and you know, contribute to the community I'm part of every day, I would post this in the suggestions forum. Since I can't, I'll tag @Brigby and maybe he can pass this info along.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Title made me think of recent Darknet exit scams
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    said Good, the sooner the better.

Why are you even here?
    In the past I would've gone in hard on this reply.
    I.e 
    I'm entitled to my opinion. 
    I've only been collecting Marvel comics since I were a wee child.
    I'm a true marvel fan, and so on and so on, etc, etc.

I can't even do that now, I can't even argue. I'm just empty. 
    I'll leave it there I think.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi said:
    The recent announcement about Marvel Heroes has me thinking about this. Obviously there aren't any signs that suggest the game is going anywhere any time soon, it seems to be doing well enough by all appearances, but what about the future?

It would be cool if there was some sort of offline experience for players that had supported the game even after the day when the servers are closed down. I know that a console version exists but it really pales in comparison to the mobile title given the ever expanding roster of characters.

I'm curious if any other players have thoughts on this. As much as I'd like some way to play around with characters I've earned after the devs and publisher move on to something else, developing such a thing would take time and money so it might not fit any business model. I don't think I would feel "owed" by anyone if the game went away, but I can't help but think about it.
    Yes, yes it will. When? No idea. 

As for the money people have spent on the game, it's best to think of the purchase as a service. Like watching a movie at a theatre. You're paying to have an experience. No matter how many times you go to see the same movie (or any movie) at the theatre, you don't get a free copy of the movie when it leaves theatres and is released on whatever contemporary storage media exists. (If there is such a movie theatre, please let me know). 
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    First, they could do a console-like version for offline play if they want to, which would make a fair whack of money to end. Sell it till the licence goes, then remove it from the App Store etc.

Second, makes me think of so many other games, particularly Marvel - War of Heroes. That card game was TERRIBLE for being good for F2P players, and for the Devs making anything fair (you think this game is bad? Man, that game was literally in a league of its own). One day, even though it was selling well, they said, it’ll go in a few months, end of the line. Was sad, though trading in game meant I got an awesome deck for the last few events...
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    after reading an article about Marvel Heroes, my guess is it was taken down because they werent meeting goals.

if they cant support timelines for movie tie ins, they arent bringing in extra money for Disney\Marvel.

but....what do i know.  i just play this game :expressionless:
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

• Jabrony_Geoff
    IPunisher5784 said:

I love the Rock he never let his fan base down. 
    He made them happy.
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Its going to feel like an extremely bad break up when it happens maybe worse since there is no hope of getting back together except consule version
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP, in the future it would be nice if you provided a link to announcement about other games.  

Also every game will eventually die.  Someday the sun will burn out and all life in the solar system will be dead.  Nothing lasts forever.  So eat drink and be merry for soon you will die.  Play the game for the fun it is, it has an expiration date, we just will not know it till it hits us in the face.