**** Hulk (The Main Event)****

Options

Comments

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I don't like him. He's too inconsistent and I don't like inconsistent. Yeah, he could create a cascade at the beginning of the match and down an opponent with Grocket, or he could just destroy a bunch of your strike tiles. Yeah, he could create 5 crit tiles and down an opponent, or he could create 5 crit tiles and leave 4 on the board for your opponent to use against you. His yellow is a roll of the roulette wheel too.

In other words, Hulk could help you, or he could be a complete liability. I like characters I can count on. I rely on consistency from my characters to win consistently.
    The randomness is only an issue if paired with the wrong people.  I love the chaos he creates. chaos creates randomness which allows you to punch up and beat teams you should not be able to beat.  I agree, on some teams he would be a nightmare to play with, if your team has lots of tile generators or countdowns he is not going to go over well unless you can protect them (GG, 4Cage, 4Fist, etc).  I think you are taking the wrong rout if you are going this way (heavy tile and countdown generation).  I think he will match very well with people who benefit from this randomness, Agent Venom, Colson, C&D, Chuck, SS etc.  These are all people who spawn things randomly or get benefits from his high cost and high ap generation.  I would love to maximize the aoe the yellow does randomly but it is not the primary damage source on any of these teams.  He is not Rogue but there is a lot of potential here.  

It also fits the theme of the Hulk which is nice.

5/5/3 unless paired with Colson or Carol, then I would think about 3/5/5 to minimize the chance of tiles being removed.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I don't like him. He's too inconsistent and I don't like inconsistent. Yeah, he could create a cascade at the beginning of the match and down an opponent with Grocket, or he could just destroy a bunch of your strike tiles. Yeah, he could create 5 crit tiles and down an opponent, or he could create 5 crit tiles and leave 4 on the board for your opponent to use against you. His yellow is a roll of the roulette wheel too.

In other words, Hulk could help you, or he could be a complete liability. I like characters I can count on. I rely on consistency from my characters to win consistently.
    Build for it. You can eliminate that first one if you don't run him with R&G. And most of the further issues with his green if you don't run him with people who generate special tiles, unless you can also benefit from them getting matched (e.g. Medusa)

The second one you can also mitigate by pairing him with other characters with board shake or active tile-moving powers, but the odds are much more in favour of the majority of those crits benefiting your side.

He's a specialized character. He can't just get dropped into basically any team like, say Medusa, or C4rol, or Riri. He needs the right team and the right target to really shine. But I'm confident that he will shine in his niche.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    SPECIAL TILE CREATORS HATE HIM! This one simple trick, discovered by an arena fighter, will start taking care of your Rocket & Groot problem before the match even properly starts!

;)
    Has anyone verified that he actually helps against an enemy Rocket & Groot though?  Or does your Hulk destroy the tiles before the enemy R&G places his strikes?

I assume it still works for Hulk on defence.
    I just tried it out. Grocket spawned their Strikes first, and then Hulk shattered a handful of tiles, including one of the Strikes.
    Yeah.  It seems to trigger at a different phase of the game: at the start of the character's first turn rather than before the first turn.  I guess it needed to happen as part of a turn because it can damage the opponent and generate AP.

I wonder what would happen if you managed to stun an enemy hulk on your first turn?  Would this delay Grand Entrance until they recovered?
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3/5/5
    This ... will start taking care of your Rocket & Groot problem before the match even properly starts!
    This, for sure... They’re who I might max out green for. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Hulk might save you, or he might doom you.

Sounds like the Hulk to me.
    This is the only redeeming characteristic of this character IMO.  He's thematically appropriate, even if it makes you not want to bring him along... lol
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:

Grand Entrance is too random. It can help gathering AP on our first turn, but it could also give the opponent the same opportunity. Any AP denial tactic from our first turn is useless. It destroys our own special tiles, so don't bring our own Rocket. Its random swap(s) from the following turns could also be useless against an opponent Rocket. It might make a matchable strike tile unmatchable. 

Case in point: this match I just had, I collected a grand total of 3 AP because my Grand Entrance prevented me making a matched 5 and didn’t make any matches from the cascades. The opponent received 21 AP after their 1st turn. No matter how clever I made that first match to deny them any matches, they would’ve got something random.

Sure, but it will also create match-5 opportunities for you that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Obviously those will be less impactful than seeing a match-5 and then having it taken away, but (Grocket Strikes notwithstanding) these should average out, and you should be the net winner as some of the time you'll start the game with extra AP.

Also, it won't destroy ALL your special tiles, and at least some of the time you'll get a few free matches out of the gate that will do extra extra damage with Rocket's strike tiles.

I mean, sure, he doesn't have to be the best third for a Grocket/whoever team, but I doubt he's the worst just because of Grand Entrance.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Definitely like the new AP bar, and certainly when Hulk's yellow CD's are out. You can now easily see what AP is generated from them, when before the bar it was tricky to realize what you've gained.
    Similar benefit from the likes of Coulson, St4r-Lord, etc.
    Good job devs!
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3/5/5
    mexus said:
    Yepyep said:
    This ... will start taking care of your Rocket & Groot problem before the match even properly starts!
    This, for sure... They’re who I might max out green for. 
    I'd like to correct what TPF Alexis wrote though:
    It's not a reliable method for getting the strike tiles out of the way. Most often when I use Hulk against them this does nothing to the strike tiles at all. The Thing is a better character to counter Rocket & Groot + Gamora. :)
    I need to try this, but my Thing is a looong way from viable.

I guess what I left unsaid is what @Broll and others said very well and I’d like to paraphrase: this Hulk is unappealing though thematically appropriate: he’s an unpredictable, costly beast probably best left siloed on a cagefight planet somewhere...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I never mentioned anything about how I think the character will fit in in a specific team. 
    OJSP said:

It destroys our own special tiles, so don't bring our own Rocket. 

Hm...
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Creating crit tiles for boosted 5* Thor is...strong.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was going for clickbait-style hyperbole there, in case that wasn't obvious enough.

I still maintain that, when used with a team that minimizes the impact of his randomness, and against one that suffers from a bunch of random board shake, he'll be good. Won't know for sure until people start getting him Champed, but I've got a good feeling, just from the loaners in Webbed Wonder and his PvP.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After playing around with him in his PvP, I think MEH's only virtue is as a team-up generator. Maybe he could be worthwhile at high levels or paired with 5* match damage, but as of now, his passive reminds me a lot of Agent Venom's, with more frustration.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    I was going for clickbait-style hyperbole there, in case that wasn't obvious enough.

I still maintain that, when used with a team that minimizes the impact of his randomness, and against one that suffers from a bunch of random board shake, he'll be good. Won't know for sure until people start getting him Champed, but I've got a good feeling, just from the loaners in Webbed Wonder and his PvP.
    It was, and I loved it.

I think he'll need a team that helps him get going. He generates AP in a roundabout way, but the 12 AP to do anything will hinder him. I'm thinking he'll be in Ant-Man territory, in the sense that he's a monster when he's running, but takes a little too long under most circumstances to get going.

I think he might pair well with Rogue, and the reason I say that is because as far as I can tell she's the best bet in the 4* for accelerating Yellow AP without also having a Yellow and/or Purple active ability. (Coulson, Kingpin, Sandman, Mockingbird). Mockingbird might actually still work, since her Purple at least still has a passive component, and firing either of Hulk's actives for free will never be a bad thing (Vulture or Iron Fist for the rainbow, I guess)
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It was, and I loved it.

I think he'll need a team that helps him get going. He generates AP in a roundabout way, but the 12 AP to do anything will hinder him. I'm thinking he'll be in Ant-Man territory, in the sense that he's a monster when he's running, but takes a little too long under most circumstances to get going.

I think he might pair well with Rogue, and the reason I say that is because as far as I can tell she's the best bet in the 4* for accelerating Yellow AP without also having a Yellow and/or Purple active ability. (Coulson, Kingpin, Sandman, Mockingbird). Mockingbird might actually still work, since her Purple at least still has a passive component, and firing either of Hulk's actives for free will never be a bad thing (Vulture or Iron Fist for the rainbow, I guess)

Glad you agree with almost everything I said at the end of page 1.
    Although ->  You continue to state things in a clear and concise manner, by which I have little ability!  :smiley:
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    4/5/4
    Cthulhu said:

Hulk (The Main Event) 

Grand Entrance - 0 Green AP:

(PASSIVE) Hulk smashes his way into the arena.  At the start of the battle, destroy 4 random tiles.

At the start of the turn, swap 2 random tiles.

• Level 2: At the start of the battle, destroy 6 random tiles.
    • Level 3: At the start of the battle, destroy 8 random tiles.
    • Level 4: At the start of the turn, swap 4 random tiles.
    • Level 5: At the start of the battle, destroy 10 random tiles.
    I´ve just noticed something odd about his green. I´ve found a guy in my Shield Training bracket with a level 270 ME Hulk and the in-game numbers are differing from the numbers in this thread: 

(PASSIVE) Hulk smashes his way into the arena.  At the start of the battle, destroy 4 random tiles.

At the start of the turn, swap 1 random pair of tiles.

• Level 2: At the start of the battle, destroy 5 random tiles.
    • Level 3: At the start of the battle, destroy 6 random tiles.
    • Level 4: At the start of the battle, destroy 7 random tiles.
    • Level 5: At the start of the turn, swap 2 random pairs of tiles.

• Jaedenkaal
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I´ve just noticed something odd about his green. I´ve found a guy in my Shield Training bracket with a level 270 ME Hulk and the in-game numbers are differing from the numbers in this thread: 

At the start of the turn, swap 1 random pair of tiles.

• Level 2: At the start of the battle, destroy 5 random tiles.
    • Level 3: At the start of the battle, destroy 6 random tiles.
    • Level 4: At the start of the battle, destroy 7 random tiles.
    • Level 5: At the start of the turn, swap 2 random pairs of tiles.

It’s the same as my Hulk’s power descriptions. Maybe there was a stealth update
    Nah, Cthulu's description is probably just from a previous build before the release. Happens pretty often.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It was, and I loved it.

I think he might pair well with Rogue, and the reason I say that is because as far as I can tell she's the best bet in the 4* for accelerating Yellow AP without also having a Yellow and/or Purple active ability. (Coulson, Kingpin, Sandman, Mockingbird). Mockingbird g might actually still work, since her Purple at least still has a passive component, and firing either of Hulk's actives for free will never be a bad thing (Vulture or Iron Fist for the rainbow, I guess) 
    The issue with a Rogue pairing is the cost of his yellow. Rogue explodes at 14 yellow, and 12 is way to close for comfort. If I’m feeding someone AP, I want the power I’m feeding to be 10 or less, so there’s leeway with match 4s or similar accidental generations of AP.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/5/3
    I wonder what would happen if you team him up with Moon Knight. Does MK Purple assign a power first, or does Hulk make his entrance first?

If the former, that could put you in a good position with a cascade.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    I wonder what would happen if you team him up with Moon Knight. Does MK Purple assign a power first, or does Hulk make his entrance first?

Moon Knight would go first. His power, like Welcome to the Team, resolves at the beginning of the match. Grand Entrance resolves at the beginning of the first turn. Necessary so that the AI Grand Entrance can’t help you.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/5/3
    zodiac339 said:
    Anon said:

Moon Knight would go first. His power, like Welcome to the Team, resolves at the beginning of the match. Grand Entrance resolves at the beginning of the first turn. Necessary so that the AI Grand Entrance can’t help you.
    Good to know! Might be fun using them together. They overlap on 2 colors but neither overlap is prohibitive. Not anywhere close to viable, but could be cool in PVE trivial nodes.