MPQ at Marvel.com: Hulk (Main Event) (11/15/17)

Options

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Does his Green passive only proc once? Or every turn. It's not clear to me.
    It destroys up to 7 tiles at the start of the match, then at the start of every turn he moves one or two pairs of tiles 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    I like his hat.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    His green is amazing I'm not sure why people don't like it. Two extra matches that deal damage and generate ap every turn is amazing. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Copps said:
    His green is amazing I'm not sure why people don't like it. Two extra matches that deal damage and generate ap every turn is amazing. 
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, it doesn't make two matches every turn, it just swaps two random tiles. At five covers, it does it twice. That's much closer to Devil Dino's purple 'Prehistoric Arms,' minus the damage in exchange for being an every-turn passive. It's also unclear if by the "start of the turn" they mean your turn only, or both the start of your turn and the start of the enemy's turn. In either case I hope the animation is fast.

The only time I see this having any notable payoff is when:

1) You've just used Gamma Bomb and there are several critical tiles still on the board, increasing your chance of matching one.
    2) You have a board loaded with a single color, increasing the likelihood of a match. This power would have been good with Nightcrawler's purple if the Hulk's Gamma Bomb wasn't purple as well.

It's just as likely that this passive will inconvenience you as it will aid you in any way.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does Grand Entrance trigger before or after the enemy team's start-of-match passives? Could it clear out some Rocket & Groot strike tiles?
    My guess is that the answer is "yes, but only when Hulk is on the enemy team".  He likely destroys the tiles in the same phase of the game as R&G places his strike tiles.  And when playing a R&G mirror match, your strike tiles are placed before the enemy team's.

It'll probably be important to pay attention if you run R&G and Hulk together on the same team: you'd want Hulk's tile destruction to be activated before R&G's strike tile placement rather than the reverse.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Funny how they didn't mention Gambit 0/0/5 being a purple generator for Hulk in the interview... ;)
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ducky said:
    I like his hat.
    Groot does not.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    himatako said:
    Funny how they didn't mention Gambit 0/0/5 being a purple generator for Hulk in the interview... ;)
    I don't think they are going to mention Gambit ever again.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jamesh said:

It'll probably be important to pay attention if you run R&G and Hulk together on the same team: you'd want Hulk's tile destruction to be activated before R&G's strike tile placement rather than the reverse.
    Good point, @jamesh! Have you (or anyone else here) ever tested how the order of "at the start of match" moves are determined? (I assume it would be the same as the tie-breaking character-select-screen order of centre->left->right... I'll experiment later today with Peggy and R&G)
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If his green does 2 extra matches per turn that will be great, who cares about the initial tile destruction that is 6+ ap before you even make a match.  His pink looks good (possibly crazy good depending on the crit. drops) who cares if the yellow sucks (if it is a true heal even if small I will not complain)  He looks like 5/5/3 to me, put him with Gambit and think of the AP you could have on the 2nd or 3rd turn you are talking 9+ on red or pink second turn.  I was not overly impressed with the first reading of this character but now that more details are coming out he looks like a great support character with a very good nuke.  I still don't think the Hulk should be a support but who cares if he is good.  
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Watching Hulk destroy my first turn match 5 opportunity, then swap away two others gave me a sad in the freebie node of Training.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After using Hulk in Shield Training I'm pleasantly surprised. He's not bad at all. That Purple is savage and his Green is pretty good. Caused quite a few matches and even have me a Yellow match 5 on the 3rd turn. His Yellow however is meh so far. Think I'll go 5/5/3.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Watching Hulk destroy my first turn match 5 opportunity, then swap away two others gave me a sad in the freebie node of Training.
    Don't think of it that way. The board state at the beginning of the game is totally random, so really all he does on the first turn is give you the potential for some cascades, aka, free AP. Then the match starts. Its not much different than starting the game with no match-5, which happens most of the time. (In fact, it's just as possible to start the match with no available match-5, and have Grand Entrance make one for you. So that should even out over time).
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just used hulk in the shield training, what a disappointment. he's 553 and his green tile swap never made a match, in fact it screwed me many times by taking away good matches. Yellow is underwhelming. purple is his best ability, caused good damage and some nice cascades. Obviously great with 5*'s, but...14ap so only gonna get it off once per match. So far red Hulk is the best of the bunch.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:

Good point, @jamesh! Have you (or anyone else here) ever tested how the order of "at the start of match" moves are determined? (I assume it would be the same as the tie-breaking character-select-screen order of centre->left->right... I'll experiment later today with Peggy and R&G)
    The real question is, when does the ENEMY Grand Entrance trigger? If it's at the start of the battle then you, as the player, will reap the benefits of the ensuing cascade. (Twice, if you have one too. Gonna be a fun intro PVP)
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    After playing him in the loaner node in Shield Training, he seems like he could be pretty fun to use.

Also...I really like his hat.
  • mega ghost
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised with the loaner as well. Based on one play experience, the green was pretty pointless —the passive made one match for me during the battle and ruined one potential match-5. It'd be a better power if it was like a reduced version of Magnetic Repulsors, aggregating purple (or yellow) tiles only. Maybe at 1-4 covers it swaps two tiles and brings a purple (or yellow) tile towards the center, and at 5 covers it does the same with two pairs? I'll have to use it more to see how it plays out over time.

The purple was great. The yellow has promise, but I'd need to see the numbers at 5 covers and level 270. The loaner's damage was weak and my Hulk took no damage so the heals were wasted, but the AP gain was noticed and welcome.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Numbers at 270:

HP 18523

Grand Entrance
    3: Destroy 6 tiles at the start of the battle. Swap a random pair of tiles at the start of your turn.
    4: Destroy 7 tiles at the start of the battle.
    5: Swap 2 random pairs of tiles at the start of your turn.

Gamma Powerbomb
    3: Deal 2490 damage and create 4 random Critical tiles.
    4: Deal 3790 damage and create 5 random Critical tiles.
    5: Deal 6966 damage.

The Crowd Goes Wild
    3: Create 4 3-turn Fortified CD tiles. When a tile ticks down, deal 304 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 559 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
    4: When a tile ticks down, deal 422 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 776 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
    5: Create 5 3-turn Fortified CD tiles. When a tile ticks down, deal 540 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 993 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skygazing said:
    Numbers at 270:

HP 18523

Grand Entrance
    3: Destroy 6 tiles at the start of the battle. Swap a random pair of tiles at the start of your turn.

Gamma Powerbomb

The Crowd Goes Wild
    3: Create 4 3-turn Fortified CD tiles. When a tile ticks down, deal 304 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 559 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
    4: When a tile ticks down, deal 422 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 776 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
    5: Create 5 3-turn Fortified CD tiles. When a tile ticks down, deal 540 damage to the enemy team, give Hulk a burst of 993 HP, or gain 2 random AP.
    At 5 yellow covers at Level 270, it's too bad the AoE damage numbers and burst healing numbers aren't reversed. 
  • mega ghost
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Skygazing said:
    Numbers at 270:

HP 18523

Grand Entrance

Gamma Powerbomb

The Crowd Goes Wild
    Based on these, 3/3/5 is the definite build. At 5 yellow, that's either a max of 2700 damage to the enemy team a turn (potential max 8100 total), a max of 4965 burst health a turn (potential max 14895 total), or a max of 10 random AP a turn (potential max 30 random AP.) Realistically, you'll get a mix of each every turn, but even a roughly even mix is notable. Split evenly three ways, that's 5 ticks in each category, or 2700 damage to the enemy team, 4965 burst health, and 10 random AP.

If you've got a rainbow team, between this power and the critical tiles making matches from his purple, you're going to see some acceleration once Hulk gets going. I'm not factoring in the green here but I guess potentially it can help, but it seems so unreliable that it's better to just rule it out.