Is Balance of Power similar to the 5* slog-fest?

Options
13»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, but at least in BOP you have a whole roster that can be used instead of a handful

also the mmr is open so you have many more targets
    Show me that open MMR please.
    I queued exactly the same people in BOP I always queue because MMR apparently works off the unboosted levels of your characters.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    FokaiHI said:
    I’m at 1k now I’m s5. Hitting all teams. No coordination. To think that 5* rosters only score 1200 by holding hands and grilling is hardly the case. A lot of players can bracket snipe to top10 same as before. The player may not get 40 wins, but it’s certainly doable. 
    That's not what I said at all.  Under the old PvP system aces was able to get to 1200 in 21 fights at 68+ points/fight.  That means he was finding target at the end with nearly 2k points.  Those scores aren't achieved by "hitting all teams" with "no coordination".  He was getting his progression and CP with very minimal effort thanks to the inflation that was happening.
    I think its the MMR curse again, but I literally NEVER had matches worth that much coming up more than occasionally. More common was around the 38pt mark, with occasional 50+. The idea that I can simply climb on high point matches and its pretty easy to do so has never applied in my experience. And that is including trying multiple slices, and thousands of iso in skipping etc. Which is why the 40 matches really isnt a huge stretch for me. Honestly its marginal as to whether its actually more or not. I can of course understand someone who did have that experience being miffed at the added matches now, I just think they are a very rare thing among the player base.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sh81 said:
    FokaiHI said:
    I’m at 1k now I’m s5. Hitting all teams. No coordination. To think that 5* rosters only score 1200 by holding hands and grilling is hardly the case. A lot of players can bracket snipe to top10 same as before. The player may not get 40 wins, but it’s certainly doable. 
    That's not what I said at all.  Under the old PvP system aces was able to get to 1200 in 21 fights at 68+ points/fight.  That means he was finding target at the end with nearly 2k points.  Those scores aren't achieved by "hitting all teams" with "no coordination".  He was getting his progression and CP with very minimal effort thanks to the inflation that was happening.
    I think its the MMR curse again, but I literally NEVER had matches worth that much coming up more than occasionally. More common was around the 38pt mark, with occasional 50+. The idea that I can simply climb on high point matches and its pretty easy to do so has never applied in my experience. And that is including trying multiple slices, and thousands of iso in skipping etc. Which is why the 40 matches really isnt a huge stretch for me. Honestly its marginal as to whether its actually more or not. I can of course understand someone who did have that experience being miffed at the added matches now, I just think they are a very rare thing among the player base.
    It’s all MMR related, linked to what people did in PvP before. If they had a 4* roster and only went (in the majority) to 575 for the CP and left, then you wouldn’t have the MMR to target anyone with more points, and as 38 points in a match is equivalent to fighting someone the same points as you, soon as you go over the threshold, starts going down.

Of course, that makes 40 wins a bit silly, as it says you fight 22 point targets on average to get to 900 for your 4*, when they could have said you *should* get 37-38 points per win if things are going as they are supposed to be (when MMR was first implemented, that’s how it was set to work), which is at the 23-24 wins per PvP mark.
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've really enjoyed BOP so far. I'm using teams that I've never thought of trying before, and some have quite surprising synergy!
    On the downside, I'm still seeing wave after wave of grockmoradusas. I was hoping I'd see some different teams put out there (as I've been doing) but it seems people would rather just stick to what they know.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've really enjoyed BOP so far. I'm using teams that I've never thought of trying before, and some have quite surprising synergy!
    On the downside, I'm still seeing wave after wave of grockmoradusas. I was hoping I'd see some different teams put out there (as I've been doing) but it seems people would rather just stick to what they know.

Or what just works fastest. It's hard to beat tens of thousands of free damage each turn.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I found balance of power not dissimilar from my usual queue of opponents, as it consisted entirely of Gamora/R&G/Medusa.

You'd think BoP would be a chance to experiment a little.  Bo-ring.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    FokaiHI said:
    I’m just curious for those in the 5* game who say 40 wins is way too much to ask at that level, is Balance of Power similar to what you all experience?  High health, endless waves of the same two teams after a certain point?  Is it different in any way?

Low level 4* player here just curious. 
    The fundamental piece that players without 5*s don't understand is we will slog through fighting high health repetitive teams. 

It's the sheer number of having to do 40 of those matches for a single 4* cover and no CP. That's the problem.

Before the PvP change would be hitting 68 to 75 point targets (average of 21 matches) all the way to 1200 getting the 4* cover & 15 CP. Burning 1 to 2 shields.

And I don't understand why new players like yourself miss that point, it's been stated many times. Twice the matches for way less rewards. Also, be aware you like this system now but are you not going to try to improve your roster?

I don't understand.  Hence the thread.  I'm trying to understand as much as I can and this is why I wondered if playing BOP would give me more insight even a little bit into what it is like to be a 5* player.  It sounds like the answer to that question is all over the map.  Some say yes, some say no.  Each with little caveats.  I don't consider myself a new player (Day 1182).  And I am absolutely improving my roster with each 4* I champ!  Do I want to go into 5* land?  Probably not ever- and it if I do- not until they stop supporting the 4* tier regularly (like 3* now).  I really like the play at this tier and do not want to have to rely on 2-3 characters every week.  Sounds super boring to me, but note this was a problem before wins-based.  At my tier, wins-based actually helps with that problem because before I had to use my best 2 characters every match.  Defense and speed were way more important than they are now.  Now I can use more creative teams and have fun with the game again!
    How will you ever understand if you don’t have the 5*s? BoP isn’t really a balance. It’s a gambattery grocketfest. You may climb with gambattery in pvp, but it leaves you open to hits. Grocket/ Gamora/ Medusa is a deadly combo when all are 550, but would get beat over and over in the sim. 
    I have been eating Medusa/Grocket/Gamora teams for lunch in BoP with Carnage/Medusa/Goombit.  Just so easy to Carnage Scythe and Medusa purple every other round or so.  I do usually take some damage but can normally keep it to one health pack per match, sometimes zero if I am lucky.  It's also a pretty good defensive team,  I think I have successfully defended about 20 times and only lost about 5 or 6 defenses.  Currently sitting 8th right now, but I know that will change.  Only teams I am avoiding are Goombit/SpiderGwen/insert character (usually Thing) right now.  
    You sir, understand. Lol. Off-season is cool when everyone can be competitive if they choose. The 4* walruses and seals can actually beat anyone. I just wouldn’t compare to being in the 5* tier.