Predictions/hopes for character rebalances?

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She Hulk really only needs a boost to her red I think.

I think part of Punisher's green is psychological - you see all those weapons fired and expect a big chunk of damage to be caused. Maybe they could make this power an aoe and have his black as the special tile power.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options

Flaptain is desperately in need of a buff. He was up recently in the Behemoth Burrito node and I'd forgotten how terrible he was. 4* Elektra too ofc.

In the 3* tier, Punisher desperately needs a buff, as others have said, let his green be targetable and significantly up the damage on his black - would tie in with his show coming out on Netflix too. Honourable mention for Sentry, Doc Ock and Beast as well...

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't ask for NERFS (you could be pleased).....but only BUFFS
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Banner please
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WEBGAS said:
    Nerfs are almost never used in this game.  Sometimes buffs turn out to be nerfs or lateral moves, but a large part of the game is keeping all characters active and collectable - even if the design is outdated and/or done better by newer characters.  So they buff the less used characters - usually it is an improvement.  Less often, it makes them good enough to launch into the top 20 (most used, anyway).  The biggest buff they have added to the game overall is character interactions/team building.  Carnage would still be a bottom 10 (used) character without Medusa, for example - buffed or not.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @bluewolf  Tell to those who spent money on build up OML that his rebalance was a Buff and not a Nerf  :p

sorry for the sarcasm, I can't help myself 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Old Man Logan was a nerf. To be honest - that was probably down to all parties involved. The Devs made a ridiculously unbalanced power (sounds familiar with a certain recent release) which was then utilised without the need to have well covered. That fueled rabid borderline greedy pursuit of said cover from customer base and complaints of said cover ruining the game from those without. It was spun by the Devs as an improvement to the playing experience across the board, rather than to the character but they probably didn't mind that heallth pack use would go up and CS swap demands/compensation for OML yellow would go down. There was also the added effect that whilst OML was hardly the best 5*, he was the most useful and that took the shine off newer releases which may have been better but couldn't offer the same benefits.

So it was gonna happen at some point, they were probably generous in how long they sat on it.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    WEBGAS said:
    Nerfs are almost never used in this game.  
    The OML nerf was huge. It did not affect me, but it was overdone and seems unnecessary especially now. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The funny thing is oml would be fine now, as would xforce wolverine now. They would actually help spice things up a bit.

Hence why I'm not big on nerfing, they can release a character next month that turns gambit on his head. Its not like the game is static its forever changing.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2*  Make the Moonstone Purple a tile you can select.

3*  Give Captain Marvel the 2* CM powers
          Make Punisher's Green targeted
          Make R&G's Green targeted

4*  I would take away R&G's initial tile drop and have them add one to the board each turn instead. Something where the damage comes close to evening out over time, but where you can't just match dmg someone to death in a couple of turns.
         Give 4* Wolverine a slow auto-heal in addition to his Yellow CD heal

That's probably all I would do, honestly.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There are two characters who I think are really cool but got screwed by the same bad mechanic - Vision and X-23.

For either of them to be effective they need to tank their colors. Vision would be outstanding if he had a passive like Rogue that allowed him to automatically go to the front. X-23 is the same, though she can actually get by tanking 2 colors, though her purple is garbage and nearly impossible to pull off. Both of them are hampered by the fact that it's really, really hard to fit them in on teams.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yay buffs, boo nerfs

#dontwantnonerfs
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    There are two characters who I think are really cool but got screwed by the same bad mechanic - Vision and X-23.

For either of them to be effective they need to tank their colors. Vision would be outstanding if he had a passive like Rogue that allowed him to automatically go to the front. X-23 is the same, though she can actually get by tanking 2 colors, though her purple is garbage and nearly impossible to pull off. Both of them are hampered by the fact that it's really, really hard to fit them in on teams.
    That's a really good point.  I like X-23 a lot in this game, but I tend to have the most success for her as a third to a team with a lot of overlapping colors, like 4Thor/IM40 and the like.  I actually don't have Vision rostered at the moment, but the fact that I've barely seen him, regardless of being boosted or not, since his few weeks of glitched powers (when it didn't matter if he tanked or not) a long while back says a lot about his need for a tweak.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Borstock said:
    2*  Make the Moonstone Purple a tile you can select.

3*  Give Captain Marvel the 2* CM powers
          Make Punisher's Green targeted
          Make R&G's Green targeted

4*  I would take away R&G's initial tile drop and have them add one to the board each turn instead. Something where the damage comes close to evening out over time, but where you can't just match dmg someone to death in a couple of turns.
         Give 4* Wolverine a slow auto-heal in addition to his Yellow CD heal

That's probably all I would do, honestly.
    Don't. Touch. Rocket and Groot.
    Don't! Give! Them! IDEAS!

What you wrote about Rocket & Groot is hereby invalid. It didn't happen.
    Funniest part about his post is he wanted to nerf Grocket but leave the Gambattery untouched.  Grocket's high damage is the only reliable way I have found to maybe beat a low health Gambit (other than another Gambattery team) and he wants to take that away while leaving Gambroken alone.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If they are going to nerf Gambat I hope they do it now before I decide that I should also build 505 and 055 versions...
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel like they've done a good job by-and-large with tackling people that are flat-out bad, Kingpin is the one person where I feel like they COMPLETELY missed the mark. They didn't do a particularly great job with Elektr4 either, but at least it still counts as an overall buff. What they did to Wilson's Gambit essentially killed him with a nerf dart. I'd have to agree on the 4-star selections so far: 

Wolverine - Low health, pathetic damage on his green, black is board-dependent. His best, unconditional ability is his healing. It's based on a CD, but it's almost full health recovery at 5 covers and has a nice board shake/damage feature if matched. I'd like to see his green do MUCH more damage, and I'd like to see his black cost less AP. As it stands, I think Patch puts XFW to shame.

Flaptain - His only damage-dealing ability is stupidly expensive, and the base damage is mediocre at best. It's nice that the conditional damage is based on all protect tiles and not just the yellow ones. However, gathering 14 AP is no small task, especially when red is such a popular color for nukes, and much better ones at that. His yellow is fine - even though it's board-dependent, even 2-3 tiles is enough to negate most match damage. I think his blue is fine as well - although it doesn't bump as much has his 3-star version's yellow, the added effect of reducing countdown timers passively is quite nice (especially since it doesn't have an AP requirement like Coulson). Funny thing is this guy could be a frickin monster with just a couple slight tweaks. 
    ---------------------------------------
    Since they took the time to finally reach down to the 3-star level, I will offer my picks here as well: 

Hulk - Probably one of the worst reds in the game. Hurts your team if there isn't a certain amount of green on the board, and draining 10 of your own green with the conditional damage being based on what's left is just awful design. Green could use a damage boost, or an added effect. Would prefer both, but either is fine. 

Loki - Spid3y and Falcon got damage upgrades as people who couldn't do damage before, Loki's turn. And it isn't like the real Loki isn't capable of doing damage in a fight, the guy's a frickin sorcerer. 

Punisher - He's so opposite of everything his character represents. You'd expect him to be handing out nukes like trick-or-treat candy, but most of his abilities deal very sad levels of damage. I think his red is fine with the small damage because it can instantly drop someone below 40% of their original health, but his green has no base damage at all. Kinda backwards when you see the guy pull out the mother of all bazookas, right? Not to mention you don't know where the board destruction will occur, so your own special tiles are fair game. I'm also fine with the smaller amount of damage that his black does, but ONLY if the countdown on the repeater tile is reduced. The base damage doesn't increase between levels 3-5, and 1 weak attack-tile every 2 turns isn't really making much of an impact. I understand his abilities are meant to all work in conjunction, but the synergy is horrendous. 

Ragnarok - Kit makes sense, and works very well in conjunction, the abilities are just meh. The Green AOE is mediocre compared to other green AOEs at the 3-star level that don't hurt your team, and the one column of destruction doesn't really add much. Healing and charged tiles are nice, but blue is another one of those colors where you just have SOOOO many better options at the 3-star level. 

Elektra - A lazy version of a character that was horrible to begin with was a disaster waiting to happen. I imagine whatever roster she's on, she collects more dust than an old basement. Her version of the red however doesn't steal any AP, and the damage of both her black & red are a far cry from the 4-star version, which is pretty bad to begin with. Low damage numbers are fine for characters that are meant to be support in other way like AP gen, special tile creation, or healing, but Elektra's abilities don't really "support" a team. Her purple is useless against teams that don't create strike tiles, and even then she just gives them more (although weak). Her black is also useless if she isn't the one tanking hits on your team, which isn't likely if you've been building your 3-star roster for any considerable amount of time. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    5* Doc Ock - I know Gambit is good, but I believe one of the main reasons we've got so many champed Gambits running around so fast after his release is people were waiting for Ock (and Star-Lord) to leave before cracking their hoards (I'm aware of other theories but let's not go there). Covering a 5* takes a lot of time/money there really shouldn't be any duds in this group, but there are. Change(s) that synergize well with other characters in this tier would be welcome. We've got Panthos and Gambolt, let's see Bannerock.

4* Sandman - It still bothers me that his Boss version was so good in the Sinister Six event and his in game version is so bad (exact opposite for Vulture). If more of the aspects that made his Boss version such a pain to deal with where incorporated into his garden variety version that would be very nice.

3* Elektra (and by extension 4* Elektra) - What do you get when you take one of the worst 4* (despite a recent rework) and make a watered down 3* version of them? No Bonus Hero love from me for this 3* to catch her up with the rest of them. There is a reason my 3* Gambit is knocking on the door of 200 and 3* Elektra is languishing at 175.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Elektra - A lazy version of a character that was horrible to begin with was a disaster waiting to happen. I imagine whatever roster she's on, she collects more dust than an old basement. Her version of the red however doesn't steal any AP, and the damage of both her black & red are a far cry from the 4-star version, which is pretty bad to begin with. Low damage numbers are fine for characters that are meant to be support in other way like AP gen, special tile creation, or healing, but Elektra's abilities don't really "support" a team. Her purple is useless against teams that don't create strike tiles, and even then she just gives them more (although weak). Her black is also useless if she isn't the one tanking hits on your team, which isn't likely if you've been building your 3-star roster for any considerable amount of time. 
    Well said. There really isn't a more useless character to anyone who is at the 3-star tier or above. I mean, I have the 4-star version champed and she sits on my bench collecting dust. The only reason I wasted a roster slot on the 3-star version is for when she's essential - but she'll sit on my roster max-covered at level 40 and never get a point of my ISO. I don't even care about the wasted covers and champ rewards. I have 40-some other 3-stars giving me champ rewards. That's plenty.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hmm i thought i posted here. let's try again...

nerfs
    GamBat needs to go. It's bad game design to have additional covers make a character worse, as adding purple and red covers to Gambit does.
    Nightcrawler's BAMF needs to do something else when purple is the most common color, in order to prevent a single-character winfinite.
    Vulture shouldn't gain 4 black AP off a 6 black AP move.

buffs
    5* Hulk is in dire need of a fix. I'd rework every one of his powers. How about Bruce form is all actives, Hulk form is all passives? If you want to get crazy, you could give him multiple different Hulk forms.
    5* Doc Ock's green is peculiarly complex and bad. 
    4* Sam is probably the worst 4* now. 
    2* Steve always sucked. How about some more damage or a usable yellow?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And it is a official, no new character updates this season. Enjoy your gambrokens....