One easy way to fix Gambit in 2 steps

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited November 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Step 1: restrict AP usage for allies.

The first logical step is to restrict AP usage for Gambit's allies, regardless if you have covers in red/purple or not. This simple change would be enough to make the 3* version completely balanced and remove the necessity of 0/0/5, 0/5/5 & 5/5/0 builds. 

For the 5* version, however, it is more of a complex problem, because they said a long time ago that they want every one 5* cover to matter for 3* & 4* players that would happen to roster 1-2 covers of such a character, and this change would make 0/0/1 Gambit completely useless. But this problem can be easily fixed like so: 

• start restricting AP usage for the 5* version only at 3 black covers. Meaning that 0/0/2 Gambit would allow AP usage, but starting with 0/0/3 allies won't be able to use red & purple
  • change the way AP is gathered for the first 2 covers from 2 purple AP to 1 purple AP at 1 cover, and 1 purple + 1 red at 2 covers. Starting from 3 covers the AP generation would remain the same. 

This proposed solution would make the early covers count for low tier players at a 1/1 gather per turn which is decent and not strong, and would also ensure that top players cannot abuse the mechanic, since 0/0/2 would only mean level 285 and 5* rosters won't play this because of Thanos. Also the 1/1 gather won't be enough for them to warrant such a strategy, even without Thanos. 

TL,DR: restrict AP usage for both versions of Gambit, but start the restriction for the 5* version at 3 black covers. 

Now there's still the question if the change above would be enough to balance 5* Gambit ? 

IMO it may be not enough, but unfortunately I am not a 5* player, so my experience is limited to stats and what I read from others. This being said I would propose a change to his red ability. 

Step 2: lower red damage. 

At 5 red covers 5* Gambit does 7,580 extra damage for 1 charged tile destroyed, on top on the fact that a destroyed charged tile could do in average around 1.5k damage (3x 500 damage). So this means that Gambit can deal 15k+3k = 18k damage every 2-3 turns depending on what you match. Furthermore this means that in 6 turns Gambit can down a champ 5* with the only condition to make a simple red match (3+18 = 21 red AP = 3x Aces & Eights activation). 

Even without being in 5* land, this numbers are way too high for a spammable ability IMHO. So I propose lowering the damage to 2.5K per charged tile destroyed, going more toward utility than damage with the ability (similar to 3* version). This change would mean that 5* Gambit can deal 8k every 2-3 turns, which is more balanced and decent for a spammable ability. 

Of course, 5* players can correct me with this number if their experience show there's a better point to drop to than 2.5k. 

TL,DR: lower Gambit's red damage to 2.5k per charged tile destroyed.

How does this changes sound for you all ? Would this make Gambit balanced ?  

I personally think this would be enough to balance Gambit and still let him be what he is today, with 2 simple steps. But if for some reason this 2 steps woulnd not be enough, there is one more change that can be considered. 

Step 3 (optional - I don't think it is needed): Destroy AP if Gambit dies 

This change is also simple: just add this text to the black passive: "If Gambit dies, destroy all red & purple AP from your team". 

I personally think this is not necessary, and I also think this would take away some strategy into facing enemy Gambit, as waiting 1 more turn so Gambit wastes the AP he gathered before killing him, or kill him on the spot and suffer the consequences of the AP he gathered. But again, if people think the 2 steps above would not be enough, there could also be this option. 

So what do you guys think ? Is this a good solution to fixing Gambit ? How would you fix him without changing him too much ? 

Comments

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    There's already a thread for gambit and if you've admitted to only having impressions of him you've read here then I don't think you can qualify your post as an "easy" fix because you aren't playing him or playing as him.

I find it suspect that you've made several well-stated manifesto type posts about people enjoying the game and the journey it takes to get there, then making another long post where you want to nerf a character that isn't in your level of play. 
    I don't see the relevance between what posts I also wrote on the forum and the matter at hand here. But if you think you are more qualified than me regarding Gambit, feel free to share your solution on the matter. Or you're saying that Gambit doesn't need a fix ? 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    When Gambit is downed, reduce friendly Red and Purple AP by 2 each.
    What about when stunned, as well?  It instantly turns a whole host of existing characters into more usable counters for him.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards

There's already a thread for gambit and if you've admitted to only having impressions of him you've read here then I don't think you can qualify your post as an "easy" fix because you aren't playing him or playing as him.

I find it suspect that you've made several well-stated manifesto type posts about people enjoying the game and the journey it takes to get there, then making another long post where you want to nerf a character that isn't in your level of play. 
    Found the Gambit user!
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    How about making his black a countdown tile that, when resolved, gives x red and/or purple? Higher levels make it fortified? While it's on the board allies can't fire red or purple powers?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017

(Passive) Gambit finds an advantage for himself at any cost. At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP. Gambit's allies cannot fire abilities the same colour as Gambit's active skills, unless Gambit is Stunned or Airborne.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is already the case. Stunning or airborning a character disables any passives they have - if you stun Peggy at full health, your power costs go back to normal until she snaps out of it.
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Here's a simple solution to stacked deck that makes it do the same intended thing (IE: Fuel his powers while preventing you from using him as a battery) Change it to "Reduce Gambit's purple and red power costs by[amount] and [amount], whenever you use one of gambit's active powers, return them to their original cost"
    The only problem is that 0/0/1 gambits (Such as my own) become UTTERLY useless.
  • JuanAV2141
    JuanAV2141 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Yeah, Gambit needs nerfed. Not having any fun on GSBW essential node because of him.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Melac said:
    Here's a simple solution to stacked deck that makes it do the same intended thing (IE: Fuel his powers while preventing you from using him as a battery) Change it to "Reduce Gambit's purple and red power costs by[amount] and [amount], whenever you use one of gambit's active powers, return them to their original cost"
    I've generally made a point to leave the many and varied Gambit discussions well enough alone, but I really like this idea. It's similar enough, in that it helps accelerate Gambit's actives (it technically impacts human players more than AI, since the later will only cast once per turn anyway). I would actually go a step further and also have the passive prevent the ability costs from being lowered any other way (to prevent exploitation of 4*-Lord).
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Melac said:
    In that case it could also have some other effect, since it wouldn't be nearly so punishingly good.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind said:

(Passive) Gambit finds an advantage for himself at any cost. At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP. Gambit's allies cannot fire abilities the same colour as Gambit's active skills, unless Gambit is Stunned or Airborne.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is already the case. Stunning or airborning a character disables any passives they have - if you stun Peggy at full health, your power costs go back to normal until she snaps out of it.
    Hmm. I'm actually inclined to try this next time I run across a PvP feeder team with Venom. Maybe use the loaner character, another low level toon, (2* Mags seems a good choice), keep Gambit out in front and not deny Purple so Venom can get off a stun, and see if Mags and/or the loaner can use their Purple and/or Red powers.