Overheard at a D3 and Demiurge Meeting

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
Punisher here.. Microchip managed to sneak a bug into D3's office. They are about to have their weekly meeting with Demiurge. Now we can listen in on what they discuss!

Director: Hello everyone. How are things going with our recent new characters?
Analyst 1: According to my statistics, Gambit's usage is very high amongst all players!
Director: It's below 10% right?
Analyst 2: Well sir, it's actually higher than 10%
Developer 1: Yes but unlike OML, we have two versions of Gambit
Analyst 1: That is correct, plus he is boosted this week
Analyst 2: Lots of 5*, 3* and even a high volume of 4* players seem to enjoy him alot.
Marketing: Gambit was our highest requested character on the poll
Intern: Actually it's because his black passive creates free purple and red AP for other characters to use
Developer 1: Nonsense! We coded his black passive to prevent other characters from using purple/red abilities
Director: Good idea team!
Intern: Yeah... except players are using him at 0/0/5 as a workaround
Developer 2: That is not possible. We spent valuable time testing this
Intern: You mean those testers in the monitor? Director, isn't that your 5 year old son?
Director: Yes, he loves the game and gives great feedback.. wait a second, who let you in here?
Intern: The point is, you guys don't play your own game!
Developer 2: Yes we do! I just champed OBW
All: I like her, she's good, yeah
Intern: Ooookay.. but I actually play this game and I think you should listen to the users on the forum
Director: Enough kid, go get us some coffee, we know what we're doing
::Intern exits the room::
Director: Young people.. so anyways what other game modes can we make more "Fun"
Developer 3: Well sir we were thinking of altering Deadpool's Dai.......
::Feed cuts off::

Damnit! I lost the signal.. until next time players.

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha.  This is great.  Wait. Somebody flagged it?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure mocking the developers warrants a flag. Then again, I'm not sure it doesn't.

My guess is Gambit is going to be fixed. I use 'fixed' instead of 'nerfed' because anytime a character's best build is to entirely ignore two of it's color covers, said character is broken.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Makes me think of a period that every new character was supposed to ‘work well’ with 4* Starlord before his rework... Like, no-one ever, ever used 4* Starlord before his rework, especially in PvP, which hints that maybe the developers were not playing PvP and that time...
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deadpool's Dai? Hmmmm
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,796 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's no way that he will stay like that at 5 black and I guess they are just working on how they block that and currently testing the fix. Then it will be rolled out and we will all clear that roster slot.
  • ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    I’m making a second 0/0/5 char, more fun than I’ve had in a long time.  
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Some datamining since before Gambit was even released suggested that the first iteration of his black was similar to Mockingbird's opportunist. Meaning that you gained AP when the enemy matched 4 or more tiles. I guess they felt that would be too weak so they bumped it up to what it is today.

However, I think the fix is simple. The first step is to not allow other heroes to use that AP as an active ability, regardless if you have covers or not. That would get rid of half of the problem. After that they could just remove or lower the damage from the red ability and let it be an utility ability (like 3* version). I believe that would be balanced and people would be happy overall. He could still overwrite important special tiles and create charge tiles. 
  • razor14
    razor14 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    D4Ni13 said:
    However, I think the fix is simple. The first step is to not allow other heroes to use that AP as an active ability, regardless if you have covers or not. That would get rid of half of the problem. After that they could just remove or lower the damage from the red ability and let it be an utility ability (like 3* version). I believe that would be balanced and people would be happy overall. He could still overwrite important special tiles and create charge tiles. 
    Agree!
    And just release a character that has a passive that blocks enemies passive and everything in it's right place....
  • Tony_Foot
    Remove his red damage or lower it, lol. While you are at it lower panthers passive strike back and thanos court death, also daredevils health regen should remove the strike tiles he heals off and spider man does too much green damage.

Also nerf every 4* that's power creeped past my poor IMHB.

• Tony_Foot
    Somebody? You can see who flagged it. I didn't even know myself until today that you could, I thought that would be anon.
  • actuaryal
    actuaryal Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Changing the black to read "Gambit's allies may not fire purple or red abilities" should have been made in the first patch after his release. No, instead they decide to just let something they didn't test for play out, with expected results.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about buffing black so that it earns red/purple ap for every level of red/purple covers? 0/0/x would be useless, and earning 5ap may be too much, but you can simply increase red/purple costs by 2. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Tony Foot said:
    Somebody? You can see who flagged it. I didn't even know myself until today that you could, I thought that would be anon.

I can't see who flagged it.  It just says "Flag" for me.  :edit: of course you can, but you have to click on the number icon to see that it was flagged as Spam by two people, and their names.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot said:
    @Tony Foot not on mobile you can't.  Only computer.  
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony Foot said:
    I can on my iPad which was a surprise as I didn't realise you could.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot said:
    Tony Foot said:
    I can on my iPad which was a surprise as I didn't realise you could.
    iPad is running a desktop browser, basically. Much more functional than a phone. I browse the forum on both an iPad and my iPhone and it looks different on each.
  • Punisher5784
    edited November 2017
    Tony Foot said:

I can't see who flagged it.  It just says "Flag" for me.  :edit: of course you can, but you have to click on the number icon to see that it was flagged as Spam by two people, and their names.

I had two flags but now it's only one. I guess one player realized how silly it was to flag my post but I'm glad it's flagged cause it'll get Brigby's attention. He can share this next meeting, everyone can laugh about it but it will also open up the conversation about what to do about Gambit.

I have no problem with them revising his black but it will open up the same issue we've had for years which is Goon feeding. So if they're able to limit Gambit feeding AP to our teammates they can also finally put a stop to goons feeding our enemies. We may be exploiting Gambits black now but the devs have been exploiting the Goons AP generating for years. It needs to work on both sides.
  • Tony_Foot
    No the second flag was from me, it was mistakenly left on from me mucking about seeing if I could see the names of who flagged. When I noticed it was left on I removed it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Problem with the proposed fix is entirely extrinsic to the game but very significant.

Right now gambit is making them a lot of money.  A LOT of money.  So changing him now will hurt revenue.  So it's entirely possible they will milk him for a while longer, and then nerf him once everyone is used to him. Kinda like oml.
  • Punisher5784
    Tony Foot said:
    No the second flag was from me, it was mistakenly left on from me mucking about seeing if I could see the names of who flagged. When I noticed it was left on I removed it.

Well I am back at two flags again! haha