I didn't know life could be this easy

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I recently champed 4-star Rocket and Groot (during the anniversary - I know, I'm a little late to this particular party) and I didn't know MPQ could be so easy. Last night I started the first sub of Venom Bomb and hit the first node with Grocket, Starloard (3 cover 5-star Lv 270 for match damage), and Dr. Strange (3-star for yellow passive). I was playing SCL 7, which is normal for me.

I never once changed this team.

I proceeded to chew through node after node of symbiote goons - 54 separate fights (9 nodes x 6 clears) without taking a single point of damage. And I did it in about 40 minutes, by far the shortest amount of time I've ever cleared an entire sub of 6 clears. Had I been using Thanos I probably would have cut my time even further, but I really wasn't interested in using health packs.

I now realize that true competitiveness in PvE is separated by one thing and one thing only - those who have Grocket champed and those who don't.

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I recently champed 4-star Rocket and Groot (during the anniversary - I know, I'm a little late to this particular party) and I didn't know MPQ could be so easy. Last night I started the first sub of Venom Bomb and hit the first node with Grocket, Starloard (3 cover 5-star Lv 270 for match damage), and Dr. Strange (3-star for yellow passive). I was playing SCL 7, which is normal for me.

I never once changed this team.

I proceeded to chew through node after node of symbiote goons - 54 separate fights (9 nodes x 6 clears) without taking a single point of damage. And I did it in about 40 minutes, by far the shortest amount of time I've ever cleared an entire sub of 6 clears. Had I been using Thanos I probably would have cut my time even further, but I really wasn't interested in using health packs.

I now realize that true competitiveness in PvE is separated by one thing and one thing only - those who have Grocket champed and those who don't.
    Now wait for R4G to be boosted and pair with a boosted 5*....  BOOM!
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome to the club. Pve top end is all about speed and RG is a factor in this.  For this pve, SL9, I am using SL4* RG and Thanos health packs be damned.  I will have my SL5* champed next week so that will change. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:

Incorrect. Those who have 5* Thanos and those who don't. I completed the same sub in cl8 in 25 mins.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

Incorrect. Those who have 5* Thanos and those who don't. I completed the same sub in cl8 in 25 mins.
    I guess I can't be competitive yet.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

I think you can. In scl 7 and 8, at least.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

I think you can. In scl 7 and 8, at least.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait, this game is all about chasing the latest shiny carrot? Gasp. Shocked.
    Or not so Latest. Depends what mode you focus on, but I’d argue Vulture was the last significant PVE accelerator.  Nightcrawler’s purple is good but it’s very board dependent.  Mockingbird? Yondu? Lockjaw?  Fun to use but won’t help your speed much.   Rogue’s main value is avoiding health pack use.  4’s only here, since OP was excited about R&G.

I don’t think we will see many posts complaining about every Sim team having Yondu on it (barring a rework).

Get them (R&G) while they’re hot.  They’ll be vintage before you know it. (OK, a few months.)
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I'm not sure that I'm excited about R&G... I could see them making PvE very stale.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Fwiw, if you have Medusa champed, she speeds it up even more than Strange does.

Minimum 2k additional damage at the end of each turn after the first turn.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I use RBG/Thanos5 and cut through like butter.  Just champed Drax, so I have SL5 and 4, Gamora, Yondu, and Drax to burn through on the way to CLEAR.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Wait, this game is all about chasing the latest shiny carrot? Gasp. Shocked.
    Or not so Latest....
    Pretend I said "meta hotness" them.
    Sorry I took it too literally....

Enjoy R&G.  Fight the time requirement creep!
  • Dormammu
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Dormammu said:
    I'm not sure that I'm excited about R&G... I could see them making PvE very stale.
    It's a reasonable price to pay for speed, I think. The fastest teams are usually quite boring and repetitive. It has to be, because it needs to be simple to execute and not prone to bad boards.
    R&G are in 90% (total guess) of my PvP opponent's teams as well. When there are 57 other 4-stars and almost 140 characters in total, is it healthy that almost everyone is always using just one? It doesn't matter what the boosted list looks like in PvP events... players will choose Grocket & Gamora over their boosted characters. If you're playing for placement in PvE, you don't have a choice - you HAVE to use R&G if you're in the 4-star SCLs.

R&G has broken the game. Gambit is similar. We're almost at a point where we don't even need to make matches. What's next, a passive power that just does everything for us? I can see it now:

5-star Beyonder
    Yellow (Passive) - The Beyonder will defeat your enemies for you. You no longer even need to log into your device.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame that the response to complaints about the time commitments has been to introduce characters who just make things simple and repetitive (albeit quicker as a result). A more thoughtful response would be a system that doesn't always depend on speed, forcing everyone to use those characters to compete.

It's basically turning MPQ into a tapping game with very limited thought involed - unless you give up on competing for placement and actively handicap yourself by using less effective characters.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

This looks more like an example of those who have level 500 5* and those who don't.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Strange is just as needed in this combo.  Non-Rabid symbiotes have a lot of health and you eventually run out of those strike tiles.  These guys are casting 2 or 3 attacks per turn.  
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

This looks more like an example of those who have level 500 5* and those who don't.

Not true at all. I get beat often in PVE by much smaller Thanos' by people who are twitchier than me.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

Nah. A freshly champed Thanos will obliterate CL7/CL8 clears just fine. Hell, even a not-quite-champed one.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Lol, well then you are late to this party too my friend. And it feels like there's been at least 1 Guardian boosted per week stretching back for quite a while now, so he's kinda become that 4-star you HAVE to have, like IM40 was THE 3-star to have after his rework. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've had my 4* Rocket & Groot stuck at 12 covers for some time now. His only power at 5 covers is his green, and the only covers I seem to pull for him are his green. 
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I totally and utterly disagree with your thoughts about "broken" characters, especially RBG.  I love mindless repetition, honestly.  I want to go fast, I love to race in SCL9. 

People who scream about overpowered characters just need to take a chill pill and wait a month or so.  We hear how bad the game is now that ______________ has been introduced, then in three months the crows start squawking about the next good character.

This too shall pass, and in the meantime I will be blazing with it until something better and faster comes along.