Chasing the elusive rank 126 ....

Options
aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
[I don't intend for this to be a whine thread about the ultimate first world problem, shield ranks running out at 125. I'm sure some will chime in with whines anyway. For now, the ranks end and that's just he way it is. I am hoping to discuss how that fact is affecting players, if at all.]

So gentle players, here I am at rank 124 1/2, just a few days until I "top out" and hit 125. The mountain top! Yay, right?

But I am told there is no 126; 125 is the end of the road.

Shield ranks have paid me millions of iso, and been a great help in completing (well, catching up with) the massive (and growing) 4* tier.

And it's been something to chase, one rank after another.

But now, for me, it soon will be over.

I'm certainly not the first, many others have gone before, some way, way before.

Have you hit rank 125? If so when? If not, how long will it take?

How did, or how will, topping out SR affect your play, if at all? Is XP an incentive for you? something you actively chase? Once XP has no (apparent) meaning, did or will you slow down? Or are/will you continue full speed ahead, trusting that XP is still accumulating in the background, or not caring at all because SR was nice, but not a driving reason to play? 

My initial reaction is to slow down (a bit) ... but not only due to running out of ranks. My iso pressure has eased a bit, and I haven't had to "save" a cover in a long time. I've somewhat run out of goals to play for, other than playing itself, which is much incentive on its own after so long. I hope to go back to hoarding, even tho that seems silly.

Probably won't be clearing PVE 6x much anymore, since clears 6 and 7 pay so little, unless placement is a goal ... and those fat 5* essentials make hitting progression so much easier.

I spend a little, that will probably go down too, unless I really want something (like Nightcrawler :) )

Won't be playing PvP to 40 wins that much, that's for sure LOL

Comments

• AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Congrats for the upcoming feat of loyalty to the game, and welcome to Shield Rank 125 Club!

Might i add that it's not a 1st world problem precisely though.

I joined the club a few (6?) days ago, and i can safely say that a daily playing veteran looking for placement in any event (allowed a few slips) is already there or close to it, even if ftp.

As for what the plan for me would be now, well:
    Currently: I'm working on finally champing all 4*s in the game (9 to go as of today, but 2 will be champed really soon). That would be done before the introductio of Black Panthos, but being competitive didn't help them. At elast I'm back on track untill the next great 5* ;)
    PvE wise: well, as is, it's the better part of the game if you're not looking for placement. Best cp aquisition, easy iso (and xp, with hopes of them being tracked for when/if they release the next ranks). And when any of my champed 5*s are into the mix, well, i get to have the fun i didn't have all that time
    PvP wise: time to treat pvp as an iso machine. 100~280 iso per fight? Great! Too bad that all recent changes have forced any player that was repeatedly t10 last 2 years in pvp to not care anymore that much. Oh well, i get to make many many many new "friends" now that the game wants me to hit 40 wins on other players for a lousy 4* cover :)
    Wallet Wise: Well, since the original sin of the devs (like going back on their words and introducing cps) i have been into the pure ftp side. Before that, there were a few purchases here and there, but i never was a big or fixed spender. With the way things are going, oh great, my wallet is safe for the time being.
    Free time: Trying other games, having some fun with anything, online or not. And when i pop mpq, i get to do that because i chose that, and not because of any in-game timer.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m only 106 (almost 107). I estimate 180 days (or 6 months) until I would hit 125. I hope dealing with the max isn’t a problem because I would hope its been addressed by then. I personally hope that they set a new max and not make it inifinite. I want to eventually hit a max and get the boost. Wouldn’t be the end of the world if they did make it infinite though. 
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It me been in the works forever. And by that I mean one guy dreamed about it once and went to work and said, “guys I a nightmare last night.”
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just hit 120, so that’s about 5 weeks left before I can join the club. I’ve finally caught up with the 4* champions (except the latest nightcrawler), so all iso is being saved for 5*s (if 2* farm or 3* dupes doesn’t drain it first)
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They should make it infinite and be done. It's one of the few things that keeps me interested in playing/renewing VIP. I honestly can't see myself playing for long without both SR and VIP intercepts.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm at 121, so I'll run out soon. I imagine I'll just have to hold on to tokens a little more frequently to avoid cover waste - right now I mostly just open everything as the only situation where I might not be able to champ a character before a cover expired would be a 14th cover for a completely unleveled 5*.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am at 121 soon to be 122 and the bonus iso will soon be gone.  I will go back to farming 2* and 3* hope it one day shield rank 126-150 eventually opens up
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Only at 101 here. Long way to go to 126.  I’m guessing it’ll be upped by the time I get there
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I thought it would be upped by the time I got there... currently at 123.75. Knowing that it is coming has caused me to do more hoarding. I could be at 125 now just by spending the tokens I have. I thought there was a really good chance they would fix this as part of the anniversary. Very disappointed that it didn't happen.

The lack of additional ISO bursts won't hurt me very much right now. I have a good ISO bank, and can easily keep up with new 4* releases and building my 3* farm. But it would sure be helpful when I decide to go into 5* play (if I'm ever foolish enough to do that!).
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just hit 125 this morning, with a glut of 3s maturing and producing LLTs. A new thread asking about going beyond 125 seems to sprout up at least once a week for the last two months. I'm sure they'll address it eventually. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I know where the hide 126. It is where they hide the ban hammer for cheaters. So good luck finding it.  We might need a search party. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Only at 101 here. Long way to go to 126.  I’m guessing it’ll be upped by the time I get there

That's what I thought when I was approaching level 100. In the meantime my rank has risen to 113 and my optimism has sunk to D3.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've still got a ways to go.  I think I'm 113 now, averaging ~ 1/week,  so I should hit it ~ Feb.

I roughly project that I will be "caught up" with the 4* tier by December.  I currently have 6 covered, 4 undercovered, and I've been champing ~ 1/week.  With the regular release rate I should be all done with the backlog and be using Iso to keep new releases at their cover-limited maximum, with surplus going toward softcapping 5*s.

I have not made a serious investment in the 5* tier yet.  1 champ, and a little thrown into a couple of characters for a slight performance boost in a niche team.  If my Iso had gone there instead I would obviously be far behind in the 4* tier.

I actively chase xp now.  Green checks are my goal, and that usually gets me decent placement (T50, occasional T20).  Once I hit that point, I imagine I'll slow down on PvE, but assuming my interest level is unchanged, that effort will go toward PvP instead.  My performance in that area has dropped since wins-based, only getting the  4* cover on weekends and otherwise stopping around the 10 cp mark.  If going under green checks tanks placement more than 1 tier I'll go back to it, but since I'm able to do the 5* essential in any CL below 9 I'm not obligated to go past 4 clears for progression.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,575 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Still a way off at Level 102, but I assume that all XP you accumulate above Lv125 is recorded and will be applied if/when Lv126 and beyond is opened: it's what happened when SCL started after all.

Not worried yet even though I would surely miss the extra ISO coming in every week.

• NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    We will probably get more ranks when we get clearance level 10, in 2019.
  • The rockett
    Options
    NMANOZ said:
    We will probably get more ranks when we get clearance level 10, in 2019.
    2021. Fixed it for you. 
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is there a big bonus when you get rank 125? (I think there was one before the last time they have changed the max rank). If there is one - forget about storing the XP for future - it's covered in the bonus. If it's a regular level up ISO - maybe there is a chance.
  • The rockett
    Options
    100,000 iso.  Issue is a lot of people that paly PVP and PVE at a high level have been here for months with no news of this.  Also, I don't know if they confirmed that XP will be tracked if they ever open this up.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since I have 57,5k for 112 (my next rank) i don't think there is any real bonus. So maybe there will be one when they open up the ranks. Let's see.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Magic said:
    Is there a big bonus when you get rank 125? (I think there was one before the last time they have changed the max rank). If there is one - forget about storing the XP for future - it's covered in the bonus. If it's a regular level up ISO - maybe there is a chance.
    Yes, it's 100K iso when you hit 125. The same as it was for people who hit 100 when ranks initially rolled out and 100 was the cap.

Considering the ranks bonuses are 60K+ for a long time leading up to 125, 100K isn't terribly huge, but I'll take it.

124.75 now, so i guess I'll take it pretty soon, too.

BTW, the SR FAQ still reads "... you can win up to 50,000iso per rank ...!!!"

This discussion has been closed.