Dr Strangedino, OR How I stopped hoarding and loved incremental progress

2»

Comments

• Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

I open everything pretty much as soon as I get it (like at the end of any given play session).  I've tried hoarding.  I usually get to 30-50 tokens-worth of LT/CP, get bored or too anxious or whatever, and open them.  It just doesn't work for me. 

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I hoarded legendaries once. Well, it was seven of them. What? Don't look at me like that. That's a lot for someone with no self control. Anyway, so I hoarded my whopping seven tokens for when Hawkeye got into latest legends and got him on the very first pull. I just can't hoard tokens. I see them and just start getting this itch to open them and I can't help it.
    And to think, had you of not hoarded, you would not have gotten that Hawkeye. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PvE, I find mixing boosted fourstars and fivestars gives a pretty good performance. So far I have had lots of fun in the Green Goblin node pairing him with fivestar Hawkeye and St4r-Lord. So many countdowns!
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I've switched to hoarding 4-6 weeks at a time and have managed to cover every 5* before they left latest since Dr Strange. (except not yet on the ones currently in latest. of course)  I sort of lucked into the plan to start with, but it's worked well for me since.

I was doing the big hoards and opening when there were 3 new 5*s in latest legends.  The second time I did that I happened to cover the oldest one first, with the next oldest being at 7-8 covers and the newest being at 4 or 5 iirc. I thought that was a nice staggered progression by age, so I went back to hoarding (I didn't have the iso at that point to fully champ 5*s and so was soft-capping them and gradually raising the cap, so extra covers for champ levels didn't appeal yet.)  When the next new 5* came out and bumped the one I had fully covered, it was something like:
    Oldest 8 covers.
    Middle 4 covers.
    Newest 0 covers.
    So again, when I opened hoard I was able to cover the oldest one first and have the other two staggered by age.  If my hoard ran out before the oldest was covered, I'd open them as I got them until it got to 13 covers.

I did break this pattern a bit spending CP on classics that day that they had 1:4 odds, which led to me champing four of the 5*s I'd previously covered.  I like this system a lot more than when I was hoarding for multiple months at a time, because I'm able to get covers for the newer 4*s without as long of a wait, and I get the fun of opening the hoard much more often.  Currently I've got Spidey at 12 covers, Daredevil at 10 and Gambit at 5, and I'm putting iso into champing Yondu and Rogue before covers expire. (All 4*s older than them are champed.)
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i just opened 160 lt and 1000 cp worth of latest. roughly 200 pulls. ended up with 12 gambit, 11 daredevil and 8 spiderman covers. a bit of luck and i would have covered 2 5*. i'm ok with that.  not sure how long it took to accumulate 150 lt, but if you put your head down and try not to look at them it's not too bad. i opened up everything else, so there's still some progression happening.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I could probably go as high as 360-375 and have my 5's more or less in line with the majority of my 4* champs. That's a lot of ISO to divert all at once, so it'll probably be done in 15 level hops according to featured status.

I added another 4* champ (Star-Lord) over the last few days so that brings me to 60% completion for the tier. I may actually hold off on opening for the next few days, as I harvested a few 2* champs and need to rechamp the replacements.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    shardwick said:
    I hoarded legendaries once. Well, it was seven of them. What? Don't look at me like that. That's a lot for someone with no self control. Anyway, so I hoarded my whopping seven tokens for when Hawkeye got into latest legends and got him on the very first pull. I just can't hoard tokens. I see them and just start getting this itch to open them and I can't help it.
    I felt the same the first time I ever hoarded. After about a week it just went away, though. My last hoard was 161 LTs and a couple thousand CP. I guess it helps that I haaaaaaate wasting covers.

As for the OP, I'm not currently hoarding either. I have 53 championed 4*s, so my chances of a wasted cover even with tripled odds on the latest twelve are pretty slim - the only character sitting at full covers unchamped is Lockjaw. And that hoard I just mentioned got me a fully covered Daredevil, a 5/2/2 Spidey, and a 3/3/4 Gambit, so I want to get the set champed (or at least finish Gambit) while they're in there.

Even once I get past that hurdle, I don't imagine I'll be hoarding again anytime soon, except during periods where I'm rechamping maxed 3*s (that does get to be an ISO drain, lemme tell ya hwut) or I'm in danger of pulling a 14th cover for a fully covered 5* and I don't have enough ISO to champ them.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    If D3 CS even changes their position on Classic 5* cover swaps, I'll gladdy stop hoarding and opened my entire stash.  But the pain of having a 5* cover rotting - set to expire is a short 14 days - coupled with ISO debt means I refuse to open LTs (either type) until I have the ISO to level at least one (500k +)

I would love, love, LOVE if ALL tokens granted colorless covers - that the user could select which color to apply...

I still see this as the natural progression of the high-end game - especially with the dilution of classics.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Keep in mind, if you can commit to buying Classics instead of Latest, it's a 25% boost to all your champ levels from CP.  And one in ten of those 4* champ levels provides a latest token, which helps to offset the slower growth of the newest three 5*.  If you're not a hoarder, you'll never get the real benefits out of the incredibly excessive new release 5* boost anyway, so you may as well focus on overall resource improvements while accepting the zen of slower growth in any individual 5*, but faster growth overall.

Also, I sometimes put any 4* champ just below an LT reward (279, 289, 299, etc.) as a bonus hero, to goose the Latest token rate a bit more, especially when a new 5* has just been added to tokens.  Always make sure to remove them from BH as soon as they spit that token out, though.  This doesn't improve how many LTs you get, but it does bring the next one in sooner.  I try to save this for when most of the Latest three 5* need covers.  Right now I'm prioritizing big CP or ISO rewards, because I have both DD and Spidey champed.  Gambit is at only two covers, so I'll focus on Latest Token rewards again once Thor joins him.  This variance is about the close I can get to any strategic hoarding of more than a week's duration.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    meekersX said:
    I don't understand how those who don't hoard ever expect to transition to 5*. Have they just given up?

For me its basically this:

meekersX said:
    I don't understand how those who don't hoard ever expect to transition to 5*. Have they just given up?
    Given the breadth of characters in the tier, static PvE scaling, and wins progression, the 4* tier can be argued to be a (significantly?) better gameplay experience than having a couple 5s.

Coupled with the fact that hardly anyone at the 5* level speaks of it in glowing terms.

I cant honestly say there are many 5*s that appeal to me, but there are many many 4*s I enjoy. And they just keep coming.

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I'm hoarding for the first time in a long time. Started on Oct 25th, hoarding elites, heroics, legendaries and CP, and I'm going to blow the whole lot on Christmas Day :smiley:

• Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I used to hoard and open at the end of seasons, then stopped due to impatience :)
    I've now decided to go back to hoarding until end of season to get a few surprises (hopefully). I always open Basic and Elites as I've got all the characters I want in 1, 2 and 3* (just need more covers for Gambit and Elektra I think).
    I've decided that if I come to a point that I get tow new characters, I'll stop due to not enough HP for roster slots.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Dayv said:
    Keep in mind, if you can commit to buying Classics instead of Latest, it's a 25% boost to all your champ levels from CP.  And one in ten of those 4* champ levels provides a latest token, which helps to offset the slower growth of the newest three 5*.  If you're not a hoarder, you'll never get the real benefits out of the incredibly excessive new release 5* boost anyway, so you may as well focus on overall resource improvements while accepting the zen of slower growth in any individual 5*, but faster growth overall.

I wonder about the math on this, actually. If you don't
     have the latest 5* rostered, then you will be less competitive in 60% of PvE events (3 latest / 2 classics rotation), as you won't be able to clear the 5* essential node. What do you lose overall, if that knocks you down from say, consistent t20 placement to t50? Or from t50 to t100?

EDIT - it' a question that has become particularly relevant for me lately, as I now only have thirteen 4*/5* characters unrostered. Of those, NINE are 5*s, and I have a kingpin cover in the queue (waiting for HP).