Dr Strangedino, OR How I stopped hoarding and loved incremental progress

DrDevilDinosaur
DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

I've started spending CP/LTs as soon as I get them.

It was a conscious choice that I made very recently. I would say my play style is "serious casual". I play daily, and I play for progression. I'm comfortable in SCL 8 for PVE - although I've dabbled in SCL 9 recently - and was stopping PVP after the 10 CP reward - although I've pushed a bit further now with wins-based progression. Anyway, I did some rough calculations and I'm earning about 136 CP a week. At this rate, it'll be ~55 weeks to reach the required 7500 CP for 300 draws at Latest Legends. I realised that I'm not really prepared to hoard for more than a year. That's a year not just of remaining stagnant in terms of 5* cover progression but also on 4*s. I decided I didn't want to do that.

My roster made some nice gains during the anniversary. I've now got more than 50% of 4*'s covered (34 out of 58), with 9 of those left already at max covers and waiting for ISO. I came to the realisation that I really am in the home stretch for the 4* tier right now, and every champ reduces my cover waste and increases the speed at which I can generate the ISO needed for the next champ.

So I started opening tokens. And it's been pretty good. I managed a bunch of champ levels for both Cloak & Dagger and Rocket & Groot, Bonus Heroes did the heavy lifting on providing some covers for Rogue, and I even managed back to back 5* Gambit covers (bringing him to 1/1/2).

If I stick to my current level of play, I should expect a minimum of 27 draws from Latest Legends every 4 weeks. I haven't included any CP/LTs that will be gained from champ levels, but the whole point of this change is to increase my number of champs and increase the number of champ level rewards that I'm gaining. I can appreciate that it's not for everyone. There are a lot of players earning significantly more CP than I am, and the timeline for reaching ~7500 is a little more reasonable. For me, this change in my approach has reinvigorated my enjoyment of the game.

Who else spends those resources as fast as they earn them? Any advise for how you prioritise champs? I think I also want to start funnelling a bit of ISO into my 5*'s to take advantage of their PvE boost values. What's a good cut off? Level 300? 315?

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Hoarding is not something I want to do, it's something I have to do. I have eleven unchamped 4-stars sitting at 13 covers with another nine at 12 covers. They're all waiting on ISO. If I start cashing in my LTs or CPs I'm going to be throwing away covers and the ISO value isn't worth it. That doesn't do my roster any good.

So I hoard. I'll dip my toe in the latest legends from time to time trying to get the most recent 5-star, especially now that there are 5-star required nodes in PvE, but this invariably leads to 14th 4-star covers that are going to die on the vine - so I have to stop, wait for the ISO to champ anyone who have 14th covers in my queue, and let the hoard grow.

I'm looking forward to the day when I have the majority of the 4-stars champed and I can buy legendaries with impunity, slowly building my 5-stars and adding champ levels to my fours.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m almost exactly where the OP is in terms of roster (36 4-champs).

However, I agree entirely with this...

Dormammu said:
    Hoarding is not something I want to do, it's something I have to do. I have eleven unchamped 4-stars sitting at 13 covers with another nine at 12 covers. They're all waiting on ISO. If I start cashing in my LTs or CPs I'm going to be throwing away covers and the ISO value isn't worth it. That doesn't do my roster any good.

So I hoard. I'll dip my toe in the latest legends from time to time trying to get the most recent 5-star, especially now that there are 5-star required nodes in PvE, but this invariably leads to 14th 4-star covers that are going to die on the vine - so I have to stop, wait for the ISO to champ anyone who have 14th covers in my queue, and let the hoard grow.

I'm looking forward to the day when I have the majority of the 4-stars champed and I can buy legendaries with impunity, slowly building my 5-stars and adding champ levels to my fours.
    I still open Heroics and event tokens, so I still toss 4-covers regularly and don’t think it’s the end of the world. I just hoard CP and LTs (have over 5,000 of the former and 50 of the latter).

My LTs are lower because I’ve cracked into them a few times when chasing a cover.

But yeah I pretty much agree with everything you wrote above. Iso is my bottleneck. 
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand how those who don't hoard ever expect to transition to 5*. Have they just given up?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    meekersX said:
    I don't understand how those who don't hoard ever expect to transition to 5*. Have they just given up?
    Only hoarded once and it was like for a month at best. I really don't intend to transition into 5 star land. It's not giving up, it's just enjoying where you are at for the moment. 

That said, I've decided to do the opposite of the OP. 

I'm going to hoard because after champing 46 four stars over the past year, I don't need to keep chasing the carrot. Gonna enjoy these characters for while, open LTs when I get them, and occasionally open a hoard whenever i feel the need.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Hoarding isnt necessary, its called the law of averages! If you pull your tokens as you get them you should be able to fully or almost fully cover your 5* characters. It hasnt done me wrong yet.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 30 4* champs, just finished Red Hulk today. I’ve never hoarded tokens or CP; I pause occasionally when I have a 14th cover waiting for ISO, but that’s it. I sell a few covers from time to time, perhaps 1-2 per month. It doesn’t bother me much, and I rationalize that the resources I’m spending right now will allow me to gather even more resources in the future.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's possible to get to 5* without hoarding - covered Thanos, Panther, Starlord, Doc Ock and Peter Parker will attest to that. DD is at 10.
    I had no intention on transitioning, but my roster hit a point where it happened.

Unless you've managed to champ every 4* though, you've got to be willing to chuck those covers for non champs - similar to Jaedenkaal, I see it that, I see it as improving my roster now to get more resources down the line. To me, long-term hoarding would hamstring my play and enjoyment. I'll maybe consider hoarding for 2-4 weeks before a 5* release though, if the character dropping out is champed though.

At one point I was anxious about losing several 4* covers on the vine (the likes of Falcap, IW), then I realised that this was making the game way less fun for me, so sold the entire vine and used the iso on a 5*. Liberating.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker

I've started spending CP/LTs as soon as I get them.

It was a conscious choice that I made very recently. I would say my play style is "serious casual". I play daily, and I play for progression. I'm comfortable in SCL 8 for PVE - although I've dabbled in SCL 9 recently - and was stopping PVP after the 10 CP reward - although I've pushed a bit further now with wins-based progression. Anyway, I did some rough calculations and I'm earning about 136 CP a week. At this rate, it'll be ~55 weeks to reach the required 7500 CP for 300 draws at Latest Legends. I realised that I'm not really prepared to hoard for more than a year. That's a year not just of remaining stagnant in terms of 5* cover progression but also on 4*s. I decided I didn't want to do that.

My roster made some nice gains during the anniversary. I've now got more than 50% of 4*'s covered (34 out of 58), with 9 of those left already at max covers and waiting for ISO. I came to the realisation that I really am in the home stretch for the 4* tier right now, and every champ reduces my cover waste and increases the speed at which I can generate the ISO needed for the next champ.

So I started opening tokens. And it's been pretty good. I managed a bunch of champ levels for both Cloak & Dagger and Rocket & Groot, Bonus Heroes did the heavy lifting on providing some covers for Rogue, and I even managed back to back 5* Gambit covers (bringing him to 1/1/2).

If I stick to my current level of play, I should expect a minimum of 27 draws from Latest Legends every 4 weeks. I haven't included any CP/LTs that will be gained from champ levels, but the whole point of this change is to increase my number of champs and increase the number of champ level rewards that I'm gaining. I can appreciate that it's not for everyone. There are a lot of players earning significantly more CP than I am, and the timeline for reaching ~7500 is a little more reasonable. For me, this change in my approach has reinvigorated my enjoyment of the game.

Who else spends those resources as fast as they earn them? Any advise for how you prioritise champs? I think I also want to start funnelling a bit of ISO into my 5*'s to take advantage of their PvE boost values. What's a good cut off? Level 300? 315?

This describes me to a "T"!  I have 35 champed 4*'s right now and getting close to #36.  I tend to open tokens and cash in CP as soon as I get them.  Sometimes I will save up for a week or so.  I have 11 other 4*'s that are fully covered but are on the bottom of my champ list.  Just yesterday, I cashed in 20 CP and go a 14th cover for Phoenix.  So now, I am considering not champing my next 4* (Mockingbird) and just saving the ISO to champ Phoenix which would make her my first 5* champ.  As for leveling my other 5*'s, I will advance them a level or two when I have the ISO and keep them at the same level or just below my highest level 4* (Carol who is at 298).

When I do open covers, if I get a 14 cover for one I haven't champed yet, then that is usually my next champ.  I can easily acquire the necessary ISO within the 14 days before the cover expires.  I do have a small 2* farm that I will use in case I can't get the ISO.  If I sell one of the 2*'s, that is when I start saving up the LT's and CP until I can promote again the sold 2*.

I am not in any rush to get to 5* land but it is coming!
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate hoarding the tokens but i have been doing it for almost a year now (or maybe over a year - don;t remember) with occasional plunges (the 25% chance killed my cp hoard twice already). I hope to be able to pull my hoard when Thor is in the packs or latest when the third new 5* joins. And this will be the end of hoarding for me. I should have 5 5* champions at that point and i will go back to finishing 4* and getting covers for the classic 5* (many have 8+ covers). I think I will enjoy the game more.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'm glad you (and others) have found a play style which is congruent with your personal happiness.  I on the other hand play strictly by the (odds) numbers which require you to hoard to transition to the 5-star tier due to a poorly designed system.  I just had a very interesting, favorable? hoard that maxed Gambit and DD with 210 pulls leaving Peter behind with only 5 covers.  So, I'm restarting with 6,000 cp and will get Thor + 2 more next.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    To the hoarders:  what is the difference between hoarding LTs and opening them as you get them?  Pulling 200/300 LTs today vs. 2/3 a day for the next 100 days doesn't change the odds of how many 5*s you get. The only benefit I see is being able to target a certain set of 5*s, but by pulling along the way you still have the same chances at them.

I don't hoard tokens, I pull everything as I get it. I do save ISO, HP and CP and only use them when I have a need/want.
    • ISO for champing my last few 4*s, and feeding the farm - this is determined by what I have on the vine, and when it will expire. 
    • HP for roster spots as needed, and buying tokens when they are a good value. 
    • CP for specific covers if needed, or tokens when I want to chase the new shiny.
    Using this method I have been able to roster every character within a week of their release.  My 5*s are all undercovered and sitting at level 255 until I finish my 4*s. Once they are done I will start leveling my 5*s and I don't see my saving habits changing.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    To the hoarders:  what is the difference between hoarding LTs and opening them as you get them?  Pulling 200/300 LTs today vs. 2/3 a day for the next 100 days doesn't change the odds of how many 5*s you get. The only benefit I see is being able to target a certain set of 5*s, but by pulling along the way you still have the same chances at them.

I don't hoard tokens, I pull everything as I get it. I do save ISO, HP and CP and only use them when I have a need/want.
    • ISO for champing my last few 4*s, and feeding the farm - this is determined by what I have on the vine, and when it will expire. 
    • HP for roster spots as needed, and buying tokens when they are a good value. 
    • CP for specific covers if needed, or tokens when I want to chase the new shiny.
    Using this method I have been able to roster every character within a week of their release.  My 5*s are all undercovered and sitting at level 255 until I finish my 4*s. Once they are done I will start leveling my 5*s and I don't see my saving habits changing.
    Hoardings primary purpose is to get 13 covers before they leave latest tokens.  A distant second purpose would be to choose or neglect particular characters, looking at you Doc Ock.  Unless something changes e.g Heros for Hire or Cosmic stores, completing a classic is statistically improbable.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor

meekersX said:
    Pretty much. Not that I've given up, its more that I don't want to transition yet. I've never hoarded, and almost always pull classic tokens, and that has gotten me 2 at 11 covers, 1 at 10, and 2 at 9 covers. I've had to sell 1 dupe, but it was Banner blue so I didn't flinch at all.
    If I had targeted them with bonus heroes I might have had a 5* champ by now, but that drain on iso is too much for me. I'd rather start on 5*s when I am out of fully covered 4*s. I like the way I'm going, and a couple lucky pulls or a shield resupply and I might have to make the 5* transistion
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    meekersX said:
    Given the breadth of characters in the tier, static PvE scaling, and wins progression, the 4* tier can be argued to be a (significantly?) better gameplay experience than having a couple 5s.
    Excellent point.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    meekersX said:
    Given the breadth of characters in the tier, static PvE scaling, and wins progression, the 4* tier can be argued to be a (significantly?) better gameplay experience than having a couple 5s.
    For me, I have no desire to transition to the 5-game. love my 36 and counting 4* champs and do not want to be locked into playing the same 2-3 characters against the same 4-5 characters.  No thank you!  I still have 39% of the 4* tier to champ with no shortage of new toys coming.  But since iso is my bottleneck, if I ever want to join that slugfest I probably could since I'm hoarding due to iso (5,000 CP in the bank).
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    I keep all cp and tokens for 5 days and then open them all. I dong know how you guys do it for a year. I mean it would be a blast seeing all those covers pop buy im an impatient person and the little claws digging at me to get those covers jist doesnt let me do it lol. I just CANT help myself XD
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoarded legendaries once. Well, it was seven of them. What? Don't look at me like that. That's a lot for someone with no self control. Anyway, so I hoarded my whopping seven tokens for when Hawkeye got into latest legends and got him on the very first pull. I just can't hoard tokens. I see them and just start getting this itch to open them and I can't help it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are two reasons primary reasons to hoard.

(1) If you don't collect enough LT/CP for ~90 pulls for each 5* release, then you can't expect to cover each character before he or she leaves the latest pool.  And as we all know the classic token pool is currently a dilution graveyard (h4h is an insufficient fix for that problem as of today).  Hoarding allows a player to maximize their number of pulls on a given set of 5* characters (and given that RNG only drops are still the best way to get 5* covers, brute forcing the system with as many pulls as possible is optimal path for covering a character.

(2) hoarded resources like tokens and cp do not expire.  Covers vanish in 14 days unless they can be applied to a character.  So hoarding is the ideal strategy to preserve resources when a player doesn't have enough roster space to add a new character, or can't make use of a particular cover for a character (ie has a **** 5/5/1 build for a character that doesn't get cover swaps), or doesn't have enough iso to champ a character and apply a champ level. 

That's basically it. 

And OP, given how badly demi seems to want to end hoarding, are you sure this thread isn't sponsored content?