Why do people enjoy complaining about a game more than they do playing it?

Avalancher
Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
I love every game that I play, or I wouldn't be playing it. If I don't enjoy a game, I find another that I enjoy more. MPQ is the second phone game that I have addictively played for 8 hours a day to pass the time at work, the first was Marvel War of Heroes.  I took about six months off when that game shut down, now I have about 18 months in this game.

When things change, I adjust.  If I don't like the changes, I find a way to play around them.

I honestly don't understand why some people seem to thrive on complaining about a game.  It seems like such a sad way to live.

Comments

• Avalancher
    edited October 2017
    Not the level of complaint that we see, especially the tone.  Accusing a company of all sorts of negative intentions does absolutely nothing to make it better.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    People can have levels. They can like the game and have complaints.
  • Avalancher
    Have you smelled General Discussion lately?  I am talking about the chronic complainers who seem to really get off on it.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    So the OP admits to doing anything but working. 

Donald Trump, is that you?!?!
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am, ashamedly, a Cleveland Browns fan.  I love the team but am very, very critical of management and how it is run at this point in time.  Same here.  The game is great.  But management honestly seems to make it worse and have no idea what is really good about the game.  Being critical doesn't mean I don't like it.

That must be why I enjoy MPQ so much.  It's the Cleveland Browns of mobile games.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    sunk-cost fallacy
    learned helplessness
    inertia
  • Avalancher
    That’s another thing, people sure do spend a lot of energy trying to prove how much they hate something rather than finding something to love. 

Oh well, to each his own. I just don’t understand it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's easier to type out a bunch of tired complaints and grandstand about "caring about the customer" than it is to buy 15 new games for 35 bucks during a Steam sale.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    It's easier to type out a bunch of tired complaints and grandstand about "caring about the customer" than it is to buy 15 new games for 35 bucks during a Steam sale.
    Not to mention actually learning how to play them.
  • Avalancher
    See, now I am starting to understand.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    When people complain on the forums about a particular topic and other players join in, it means they're not alone, this problem is bigger and the devs need to fix/adjust the issues in the game in order to maintain their customers
  • Jaedenkaal
    When people complain on the forums about a particular topic and other players join in, it means they're not alone, this problem is bigger and the devs need to fix/adjust the issues in the game in order to maintain their customers
    Well, it means a few hundred people feel that way. Or say that they feel that way on the internet. And we're not always right. Remember when Red Hulk was previewed and everyone thought he was terrible?
  • Avalancher
    For every complaint, there are a thousand happy customers enjoying the game. They can’t, and shouldn’t, “fix” something every time someone gets a few people to whine together.
  • Jaedenkaal
    For every complaint, there are a thousand happy customers enjoying the game.
    Cite your source?
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    People that aren't complaining are busy playing the game and just enjoying life
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    sunk-cost fallacy
    learned helplessness
    inertia

Ooh, time for a poll?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Because you can make one complaint and be done, and not have to find time to make 39 more of the same complaints afterwards.   >:)
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Consumer product, brah. It may be a game, but it's still something we pay money for, sometimes monthly sometimes in one large sum.

Guess I shouldn't complain about my cable bill, phone bill, electric bill, etc etc since I also enjoy using them too.

Fwiw, I love this game and playing it, that shouldn't mean that I keep my mouth shut like like a good little sheep when changes bother me or I see aspects that they could easily change for the betterment of the game.