MPQ at Marvel.com: Thor (Gladiator) (10/26/17)

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Vhailorx said:

I agree that he is a step down from gambit (who isn't?), but that is not the same thing as worthless. 

He, and every other 5*, is FIVE steps down from Gambit. That's all there is to it. Is he better than other 5*'s? Maybe, but who cares? You only need one and it' ain't Thor.
    I remain open to the idea that gambit is broken.  But it's pretty hard to say while he is both so new and boosted so high.  A lot of very good characters seem crazy powerful when first released, but turn out to be manageable once we are used to fighting them.  If it turns out that fighting gambit is basically a guaranteed 28k or more power damage + match damage, then he is probably too powerful and should be toned down (but only by dropping the damage on his red.  leave the rest of him alone.  We don't need another sentry-style over-nerf into uselessness).  If fighting gambit just means eating his red once then it's a much more manageable proposition. 

Unfortunately, the only rational response is to wait and see.  Which is, of course, what demi wants because people will be whaling Gambit all the while. 
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It provides most soothing balm to troubled heart to see Sparticus join MPQ, brothers. Jupiter's tinykitty!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    snlf25 said:
    It provides most soothing balm to troubled heart to see Sparticus join MPQ, brothers. Jupiter's tinykitty!
    That's a [show] I've not heard [referenced] in a long time. . .a long time.
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    snlf25 said:

R.I.P. Andy...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

-snip-

EDIT: Question for Brigby since I've already seen people ask. Is the Sakaar Arena a complete solo experience like normal Lightning Rounds, or is there an alliance component (placement like normal events, or even progression like Boss events) to it?
    @JHawkInc No. I don't believe there will be an alliance component to it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    JHawkInc said:

-snip-

EDIT: Question for Brigby since I've already seen people ask. Is the Sakaar Arena a complete solo experience like normal Lightning Rounds, or is there an alliance component (placement like normal events, or even progression like Boss events) to it?
    @JHawkInc No. I don't believe there will be an alliance component to it.
    Can you let us know if Hulk will be. 4* or 5*??
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    snlf25 said:

R.I.P. Andy...
    Requiescat in Pace, Andy.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby - was the redirect in General Discussion supposed to be stickied? It's on page 2 now and falling fast since it doesn't get bumped.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    mexus said:
    8punch said:
    i am just happy to see we now have officialy a level 5 male thor.

at least i dont have to deal with this level 4 female thor anymore. what a disgrace is that,to see everytime a female thor as strongest thor in the game. not to mention having a female thor in the first place!

lets see Marvel create a female version of jezus or a female version muhamed,or a female version of zeus,then lets see how the world would react.

and for the social justice warriors out there. i dont care about female version of captain marvel or spiderman etc, because people have not died fighting and believing in them, but gods? have some respect!
    There are stories in the mythology about Thor cross-dressing under the influence of Loki.

Thrymskvidha is one of the best Norse myths. The one where Loki gives birth to Sleipner was quite good too.

Anyway, it's not like the Marvel Universe got rid of the Odinson, they just put someone else in the role as the wielder of Mjolnir for a while. Re-using the Thor name was not the most elegant solution, but there is brand management to consider. In all, I don't see what the problem is.

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To get things back on topic from that ridiculous derail... 
    Can't wait to get new Thor. It will be fun and challenging to enter battles at half health just for the board shake and AP gen, and see if you can still win!
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Josh Austin: The first run of the Sakaar Arena will begin on October 27 at 1 PM PDT and ends on November 2, and will feature the Sakaar Arena Store that runs simultaneously with the event. Thor (Gladiator) will be available starting on November 2 and a special 5-Star for him will start that same day. We will also host a second run of the Sakaar Arena from November 3 through November 9 with chances to earn 5-Star Thor through tokens. And finally there will be a special Legendary Store called Friends from Work that runs from November 2 through November 5.

What on earth does the bolded bit mean?

@Brigby did we ever get an answer on this. special 5-Star what? Is it a duplicate reference to the Friends at Work Store or a special 5-Star release event?
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Same tired abilities you can find on just about any other character.  A nuke that ignore protect tiles, seen it. Big nuke that hits everyone, seen it.  The Powers maybe strong but  not inventive or exciting. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same tired abilities you can find on just about any other character.  A nuke that ignore protect tiles, seen it. Big nuke that hits everyone, seen it.  The Powers maybe strong but  not inventive or exciting. 
    You weren't looking to Thor for subtlety and innovation, were you?

If this was Loki, I'd be right there with you.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Brigby - was the redirect in General Discussion supposed to be stickied? It's on page 2 now and falling fast since it doesn't get bumped.
    Hmm that's peculiar. It looks Announced on my screen. I re-announced it, so hopefully it should remain on the first page now.

JHawkInc said:
    Josh Austin: The first run of the Sakaar Arena will begin on October 27 at 1 PM PDT and ends on November 2, and will feature the Sakaar Arena Store that runs simultaneously with the event. Thor (Gladiator) will be available starting on November 2 and a special 5-Star for him will start that same day. We will also host a second run of the Sakaar Arena from November 3 through November 9 with chances to earn 5-Star Thor through tokens. And finally there will be a special Legendary Store called Friends from Work that runs from November 2 through November 5.
    What on earth does the bolded bit mean?
    Brigby did we ever get an answer on this. special 5-Star what? Is it a duplicate reference to the Friends at Work Store or a special 5-Star release event?
    It should read "...a special 5-Star store for him..."
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options

Just keep hoping for something that deals with countdown tiles, we have probably 50 characters that add or remove special tiles but maybe 6 or less that remove hostile count downs or makes them longer.

Every release except for like Vulture seems to be 3 powers pull from 3 characters with a new passive added to one of them.
  • Quebbster
    Options

Thor has a hammer, so it's not strange that he sees his problems as nails...
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, but what does this mean for the current three 5* Latest schedules? Thor sounds like he is coming out 2 weeks earlier than expected from the normal 4*/4*/5* release pattern. Are we going to get 2 weeks less of PP, DD, and Gambit or will there be an adjustment? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,333 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BigBZ32 said:
    @Brigby I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, but what does this mean for the current three 5* Latest schedules? Thor sounds like he is coming out 2 weeks earlier than expected from the normal 4*/4*/5* release pattern. Are we going to get 2 weeks less of PP, DD, and Gambit or will there be an adjustment? 
    They have historically had interruptions to the 4/4/5 pattern (recent was Doc, sandy, Spidey) which are usually followed by 3 4’s.  If hulk is 4*, followed by two more, it averages out to the same amount of time in Latest store for dd and gambit.  PP has been in Latest since 7/24, so he is not really short changed by this (should rotate out around 11/20).