MPQ at Marvel.com: Thor (Gladiator) (10/26/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,
Bring the fury of the storm with an all-new God of Thunder.

Check out 5-Star Thor here: Thor (Gladiator)

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He seems pretty good. Very interested in that Yellow.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also reveals the new hulk name, and 20 person lightning rounds!!!
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby will you be posting event details before it goes live?
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So wait, no boss event? Just some lightning round pvp tourneys to get a chance at him?

Are you at least going to run them at different times of day? The first will run at 4pm my time, when I'm still at work. Is it just one lightning round tourney, or are there going to be a bunch throughout the day?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He was viewable in game earlier this week (apparently by mistake), so his entire kit is already known.  (and I don't think this counts as spoiler info because it was an in-game error). 

he looks quite good.  Not quite top tier because he isn't especially fast.  But he hits hard, has both single target and aoe nukes, and even some utility with strike or protect tile generation and boardshake.  And from the dates offered for this even it looks like he will be entering latest tokens in late november.  So it's a pretty short run for the current PParker/DD/Gambit tokens.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    granne said:
    Brigby will you be posting event details before it goes live?
    I'm crafting up data charts and formatting the forum post as we speak!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Josh Austin: The first run of the Sakaar Arena will begin on October 27 at 1 PM PDT and ends on November 2, and will feature the Sakaar Arena Store that runs simultaneously with the event. Thor (Gladiator) will be available starting on November 2 and a special 5-Star for him will start that same day. We will also host a second run of the Sakaar Arena from November 3 through November 9 with chances to earn 5-Star Thor through tokens. And finally there will be a special Legendary Store called Friends from Work that runs from November 2 through November 5.

What on earth does the bolded bit mean?

Thor (Gladiator) available starting Nov 2nd sounds like that's when we get "The Thor LT". But that's already covered with Friends From Work (since they've gone from "LT featuring the new character only" to "LT featuring them and two others").

But "and a special 5-Star for him will start the same day".... what does THAT mean? Is it supposed to say a 5-Star store? Or Legendary Token? Or vault (like, if the first run has a Sakaar Arena Store, are we getting a special 5-star version of that on Nov 2nd when the new Thor comes out?).

I can't decide if it's just word salad and an editing goof, or if they're deliberately being vague with information to send the forums screeching to get help from Brigby.

You guys don't think they're crazy enough to have a "guaranteed Thor" available with the second Sakaar Arena, do you? Like, something closer to the first run of Civil War where we could "guarantee" a Tony and/or Cap, instead of a token with a chance to pull them? That might be what the weird wording is referencing, but again, that feels too good to be true, and makes me think it's just word salad.

EDIT: Question for @Brigby since I've already seen people ask. Is the Sakaar Arena a complete solo experience like normal Lightning Rounds, or is there an alliance component (placement like normal events, or even progression like Boss events) to it?
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Give me!!
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    JHawk:

I interpret that language to mean that a special Thor token store will open with Sakaar Arena, a la all 5* releases (presumably with the release character +2 format).  I don't think we will see fixed 5* prizes.  We haven't seen those since civil war.  But it's possible if demi is really moving to democratize the 5* tier.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    His yellow seems interesting, but as with all Thors it's expensive. Given that you need 21 AP and ideally several turns of build-up for the payoff — plus the risk of his passive board shake accidentally matching the tile away before you can accrue enough tiles and before you fire the second half of the power — you'd think the repeater tile would be fortified, or that they'd at least allow you to place it.

Or perhaps one of the other upcoming tie-in characters will lend a hand either fortifying tiles or in generating yellow AP — I get the impression that he's meant to work well with someone, but I don't know who yet (probably the new Hulk, if they're "friends from work", but I was expecting him to be a 4* ... maybe we're getting two 5* characters at once like with 'Civil War'!) Since the ability has a component that requires you to remove the repeater tile, it would make less sense to have it fortified and make more sense to have yellow AP generation, that way even if you waste the first 9 AP it's not long before you can try again.

It's also possible that the tiles it creates are extremely powerful, in which case even if the repeater tile is matched away after the first turn the single strike tile you're left with is still almost worth the cost. 

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Josh Austin: The first run of the Sakaar Arena will begin on October 27 at 1 PM PDT and ends on November 2, and will feature the Sakaar Arena Store that runs simultaneously with the event. Thor (Gladiator) will be available starting on November 2 and a special 5-Star for him will start that same day. We will also host a second run of the Sakaar Arena from November 3 through November 9 with chances to earn 5-Star Thor through tokens. And finally there will be a special Legendary Store called Friends from Work that runs from November 2 through November 5.

What on earth does the bolded bit mean?

What @Vhailorx said, I think they forgot to include the word "store" in there. They were so excited to release the news, they may have left out a few critical words! :D
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    JHawk:

I interpret that language to mean that a special Thor token store will open with Sakaar Arena, a la all 5* releases (presumably with the release character +2 format).  I don't think we will see fixed 5* prizes.  We haven't seen those since civil war.  But it's possible if demi is really moving to democratize the 5* tier.
    That's what I initially thought, but it seems kinda clumsy to say Thor will be available on Nov 2nd (that first "be available" usually means "in their featured token" for new characters, whether it's the unique Legendary for 5*s or the first event token for 4*s), AND to say "a special 5-Star for him will start that same day", AND to list Friends from Work Legendary Store separately at the end.

It feels like they're tripping over themselves saying the same thing three times, which makes me curious if they're supposed to indicate different things (like, if the first "available Nov 2nd" is because there's a fixed cover in a Sakaar Arena vault or something, that would explain why it is listed separately from the FfW store, even though it doesn't help explain what the "special 5-star" means). I honestly don't think fixed covers are likely, but couldn't think of anything else that made sense, you know? (I mean, beyond editing and word salad issues, but it's more fun to think it means something and to try and figure out what that something is)
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looks like garbage. Like every other 5* out there, he does nothing to counter Gambit and in turn is completely nerfed by Gambit purple after turn 3.

Next.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Looks like garbage. Like every other 5* out there, he does nothing to counter Gambit and in turn is completely nerfed by Gambit purple after turn 3.

Next.
    Gambit is a jerk. Good thing Gumbo can't overwrite web tiles, so Spidey can lay the smack down on him!
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    mexus said:
    Can I "follow" this thread / turn on notifications without having to make a post in it?
    You see what I did there?
    Yes, you click a star shape at the top to "Bookmark" it. And you can also go into your Bookmarks and have a shortcut to threads (I have a thread Bookmarked that has release dates for all older characters, for example, doesn't get new posts, but occasionally is useful to reference). It's easy to find on desktop, I would hope it's easy to find on mobile, but honestly don't know.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Next.
    Definitely not garbage.  His green is arguably best aoe in 5* land.  less damage than thanos but instant effect and no forced tanking.  Way more damage than SL, and no complicated contingencies like Phoenix (dying) or Hulk (getting angry) or oml (transforming). 

His red is among the best single target nukes in 5* land (more damage and similar cost to Phoenix and SS red).  Not as efficient as GG black or IM46 red, but without the significant downsides too.  And its damage can scale up with special tiles on the board. 

And he has some utility with the green passive and the yellow power.  Even if they are less useful because they are more difficult to proc. 

I agree that he is a step down from gambit (who isn't?), but that is not the same thing as worthless. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New owner of the "highest match damage in the game" crown. For now.

Sorry Star-Lord. You had one special thing, and now its gone.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

I agree that he is a step down from gambit (who isn't?), but that is not the same thing as worthless. 

He, and every other 5*, is FIVE steps down from Gambit. That's all there is to it. Is he better than other 5*'s? Maybe, but who cares? You only need one and it' ain't Thor.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

He, and every other 5*, is FIVE steps down from Gambit. That's all there is to it. Is he better than other 5*'s? Maybe, but who cares? You only need one and it' ain't Thor.
    Surely no one was expecting every 5* from now on to be as ridiculous as Gambit, or more so?
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Surely no one was expecting every 5* from now on to be as ridiculous as Gambit, or more so?
    No, but there needs to be a counter to the most ridiculous OP toon in the game. Thor isn't it. So keep hoarding people if you missed out on Gambit.