hand cramps

therightwaye
therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
There has to be a study on what 3 hours a day of constantly swiping at your phone does to arthritis and acute hand pain, right? Maintaining the same progression in PvP after the win progression switch has resulted in an acute pain in my right hand. Well contributed probably. 

Does anyone else have problems? What are you doing for relief?  

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use a different finger.

That sounded flippant, but it's not meant to be.  I find that rotating muscle groups reduces hand fatigue.  You could also get a stylus, if it's more comfortable.

I'm also playing on an iPad, which helps a lot.  If I were playing on a tiny phone screen I'm sure it would hurt more.
  • therightwaye
    Yeah I switch position a lot. Maybe getting a larger screen would be of benefit. Nexus XL is decent size though. :/
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Play less?
  • therightwaye
    @madsalad not likely to happen. Addiction is addiction after all!  How else can I get through CW shows if I wasn't doing something else. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    thisone said:
    I lie on my arm so it feels like someone else's. Wait, what was the question again?
    If you put someone else's hand on the screen and move it for them, is it a Dutch Rudder?
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    I hate playing on my phone.  Playing in bed hurts my lower back and playing on my desk with both elbows up cramps my shoulders.  If your PC can handle it, look into MEmu emulator and play with a mouse.  Turn on Netflix or w/e and grind away.

There is a quirk though.  If you have dual monitors the emulator will disable Aero automatically while it's running.  You should disable Aero when gaming with dual monitors anyway.
  • therightwaye
    oh maybe using my PC is how I play more efficiently at work. Instead of waiting for til nature calls naturally. 
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    You were already doing at least 20 matches if you were hitting max progression before. So the pvp win change added 20 more matches over a 3 day period.

So you're saying an extra 6.6 matches a day is somehow extending your play time to the point where it's giving you physical pain...
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    You guys have tips for playing while driving? I'm trying to figure out a way to mount either my phone or my tablet to the steering wheel without setting off the air bag.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Sometimes I use a stylus laying on my desk, plus it looks more like work that way... then again PvP feels like work.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    I have a bad habit of holding my phone in my left hand and using my thumb to play - some discomfort in the main knuckle and the fleshy part next to it, because I extend the thumb the across the screen will the rest out the hand stays still.
    Another reason for staying away from 40 wins and chasing placement only.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hand cramps are how I know I've been playing too much!
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i change position and hands a lot
    no problems with my fingers, though... always the thumb
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I picked up MPQ because most of my other hobbies were ruled out by my arthritis. I play on a tablet - phone is too fiddly - and prop it up. I use both hands and try not to use one digit too much more than the others.
  • therightwaye
    There is a lot less snark than I expected. I was looking for real answers, but totally expecting more snark. My problem is also my thumb @ammenell

To be clear I was getting this before, it just seems to come more frequently now. I've gone through similar pains in my legs and upper body from marathon training and lifting and have found many sources for physical therapy that helps alleviate those stress pains/injuries. Just looking for if anyone else has found something for hands. 

• therightwaye
    edited October 2017
    @Sandmaker I disagree with your suggestion. Perhaps it was more fortune than the way I played, but typically it took me fewer than 20 wins but more importantly less time swiping (see below regarding time)
    101 points from first three battles, those took one minute to get through all three.  (I'm not going to count those)
    101 - 600 points. typically at 60 points per. 8 matches. then I shield.
    600 -> 800ish. 4-5 wins. Shield. 
    800 -> 860ish. 1 win. shield.
    860ish -> 900+ 1 win. shield for 24 hours.
    total: 15-16 wins necessary

Though the real challenge here is that MMR rating went up. And the fights are 2-3 times as long. so 24-25 more matches (at least, not counting for loses) has resulted in 50-85 more minutes. Compounded by SCL9 challenges, new training, longer SHIELD Sim, etc its just more game play. Obviously I can split that time as I see fit, but I wouldn't be so bold to dismiss someone else's experiences.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    There is a lot less snark than I expected. I was looking for real answers, but totally expecting more snark. My problem is also my thumb @ammenell

To be clear I was getting this before, it just seems to come more frequently now. I've gone through similar pains in my legs and upper body from marathon training and lifting and have found many sources for physical therapy that helps alleviate those stress pains/injuries. Just looking for if anyone else has found something for hands. 

Honestly dude, I would never, ever get health advice from randoms on an internet forum. I mean, sure I get it the Doctor will recommend not playing for 3 hours at a stretch. You want an alternative to that. Anyone who has had carpal tunnel will tell you though, take more breaks.

Or just show us the gnarly scar in a few months. Your call :)