A timer for battles

Options
Rasalghul
Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
In PVE event where there is no enraged mode, a timer may be useful to limit the time spent for each battle. The loser is the one with the lowest life points.

Or we could have records for the fastest battle, the longest battle, fastest average time for a coalition... At the end of the event, we can give additional points or rewards.

Comments

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A MTGPQ chess clock, an interesting idea. Would work well if live PvP is ever introduced.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Could be a new mode: after  x turns, you start taking increasingly high fixed dmg per round.

Or just limit decks to 40 cards ;)

• Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So instead of building faster, better decks you want a free win if you just run out the clock? 
  • TheDragonHermit
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Could be a new mode: after  x turns, you start taking increasingly high fixed dmg per round.

That would actually be a good counter to cycling. Cycle too much, milk yourself to death
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:

That would actually be a good counter to cycling. Cycle too much, milk yourself to death
    Or they could counter cycling by simply limiting the number of cards in your library. Use up your 40 cards, and you lose the game. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    Options
    Sorry I meant mill auto correct got me
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i support the idea of a limited deck size. This makes milling to win a workable strategy again, like the real paper mtg. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've commented before in a previous thread suggesting limited deck sizes. This game is not designed to be played with a limited deck size.

Cards like Lost Legacy and recurring discarders like Dreamstealer and Neheb the Worthy will form the basis for many unpleasant troll decks.

There are fundamental differences that make this game work better with an unlimited deck. It's better to fix the problematic issues than to change the fundamentals of the game.
  • MtgPQPro
    MtgPQPro Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The issue is that battles can take to long.  Just add a feature that speeds up the game like we have for opening packs.  

At one time they made the game fast!  It was great but a few days later they slowed it down again.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Add a button to: complete the fight using Ai on your deck. So ai against ai;). The drawback should be that if you autocomplete fight you don't get experience reward and do not master catrds.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It would be both hilarious and horrifying to see the AI pilot your deck while you helplessly watch it blow everything.  Heh.
  • Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My initial idea was to add a time clock so that we can have time records : 
    - fastest battle in the event
    - lowest aggregate battle time
    - lowest aggregate battle time for a coalition
    etc.. 

Just to add another leaderboard as in arcade game machine
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MtgPQ Pro said:
    The issue is that battles can take to long.  Just add a feature that speeds up the game like we have for opening packs.  

At one time they made the game fast!  It was great but a few days later they slowed it down again.
    There were complaints that aspects of the game became too fast. I can't be bothered to go find the thread now, but it would be helpful if someone did so we could discuss it.

I'd have thought that the recent introduction of the battlelog into the game would have sorted a lot of the problems people had back then.

Also, as far as I remember, most of the complaints were about the board collapsing too quickly, and not other, boring aspects of the game, like waiting for cards to draw, or creatures to buff, or tokens to spawn.
  • wereotter
    Options
    shteev said:
    MtgPQ Pro said:

There were complaints that aspects of the game became too fast. I can't be bothered to go find the thread now, but it would be helpful if someone did so we could discuss it.

I'd have thought that the recent introduction of the battlelog into the game would have sorted a lot of the problems people had back then.

Also, as far as I remember, most of the complaints were about the board collapsing too quickly, and not other, boring aspects of the game, like waiting for cards to draw, or creatures to buff, or tokens to spawn.
    I get the feeling that they're going to struggle going forward to find a balance for this. Look at the creatures in Hour of Devastation compared to creatures from the Innistrad and Kaladesh blocks, then compare the HOD creatures again to the creatures from Origins. You'll notice that they've scaled back the creature size. Gone are the creatures with 11-16 power. Now your largest ones are 7 or 8 power and many more at 6, which is where we were back in Origins.

Now.... take a look at max planeswalker health. Ajani with his whopping 130 max health, and compare that to Origins Chandea with her 82. So we've scaled back on creature power, but planeswalker health is still high, which will mean that PvP matches, on average, will be longer than matches we've seen previously.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    shteev said:
    MtgPQ Pro said:

I get the feeling that they're going to struggle going forward to find a balance for this. Look at the creatures in Hour of Devastation compared to creatures from the Innistrad and Kaladesh blocks, then compare the HOD creatures again to the creatures from Origins. You'll notice that they've scaled back the creature size. Gone are the creatures with 11-16 power. Now your largest ones are 7 or 8 power and many more at 6, which is where we were back in Origins.

Now.... take a look at max planeswalker health. Ajani with his whopping 130 max health, and compare that to Origins Chandea with her 82. So we've scaled back on creature power, but planeswalker health is still high, which will mean that PvP matches, on average, will be longer than matches we've seen previously.
    We're talking about 2 different things here... I'm talking about how fast the game elements animate, and you're talking about how many game actions are required to reduce your opponent's health to 0.
  • wereotter
    Options
    ohh I must have misread what was meant. But if we are talking about how long it takes to complete a match in general, this will be a continuing factor.
  • ElvaanStride
    ElvaanStride Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    There's already a timer. You let the AI get about 10 moves in and you'll lose half the time with all the cascades, random Mana gains and abilities activating that they don't even possess.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's already a timer. You let the AI get about 10 moves in and you'll lose half the time with all the cascades, random Mana gains and abilities activating that they don't even possess.
    Let me just leave this here for you.