Win based PvP is dull and depressing

Starfury
Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
Disclaimer: This is not related to the issue of the missing CP in progression and only partly related to the issue of whether 40 wins is the right number

One thing I didn't really anticipate before this season got started is how little motivation win based PvP offers to the player. Before, you checked your opponents and when you saw a relatively easy team offering 50+ points, you were happy. Or you found a rather difficult opponent worth 75 points and you knew "If I can beat that guy, I get a big reward".

That's all gone now. All we've got left is the most boring reward imaginable: A counter going up by 1. 13 down, 27 to go.
It's about as exciting as a tapping game - after you removed the upgrade system...

Yeah, it sucked when you were at 880 points came out of the match offering 30 points and saw that you had two losses. But at least that was infuriating, not like this new system that's completely devoid of any emotion.

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thrill of the big win, or surprise win, is gone.  To use a financial analogy, it went from stock market to savings accounts.

It was also fun to sometime get more points than expected.

It’s like the developers don’t realize that a crucial part of the fun is doing better than expected sometimes.  (This was also a big problem with vaulting.)

Defensive wins are basically pointless. A paltry 1-5 points that don’t help your progression at all.  They could stop listing those.

A short one off wins based event was kind of fun.  Now a season just seems like an endless weeks long slog.  Just 324 more wins to the CP!
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    But the points are still there......

Do we really need to try and fill the forums with every players displeasure? Find a feedback topic and gripe there instead of making new topics saying the same thing.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    The only possible defense of this implementation of wins based progression is that the weakest rosters that can play cl7 can now get a 4* cover if they grind hard.  That's a legitimately good thing for the game.  But they still have to grind pretty hard and i have to think there were better ways to accomplish this change.  You know, ways that didnt involve screwing over 5* transition players and excising whatever excitement there was in pvp play.

This was a dumb change.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Could they have done both? Points and win-based count.

An example would be maybe you get the 10 CP reward with a few good battles worth a lot of points, but can't make it higher without getting hit, so then rely on the win-count to get you to the prize you want. The rewards would only be claimable once so it's just whatever happens to get you there first.

(Sorry if this has already been suggested, I don't read all the posts.)
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    What a shame.... Story+ mode...... 
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    I feel the same way.

Today I did Category5 today and it took me 16 wins to get to 590 points. This is where I would stop in the past (10 cp). I didn't skip, I forfeited 2 matches. So it took me roughly the same amount of time as before and I probably made more iso than I did in the past. So this change actually benefits me.

That being said, I still don't like it because of the reasons listed above. All of the fun has been zapped out of it. No more excitement searching for a juicy target, and the psychological effect of knowing exactly how many matches remain to get the prize just turns it into a grind. 

The season is even worse. Have I really been playing more than 133 matches every season for these junky 10 packs? wow
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    Esheris said:
    Of course they could have, it's been suggested often in the feedback threads after the "tests".

They just ignored every last bit of feedback we gave.
    Ouch, that is a shame if it's been requested so many times. Seems like it would have been a good compromise and benefit both parties better.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Esheris said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Esheris said:
    Of course they could have, it's been suggested often in the feedback threads after the "tests".

They just ignored every last bit of feedback we gave.
    Ouch, that is a shame if it's been requested so many times. Seems like it would have been a good compromise and benefit both parties better.
    Multiple things were suggested multiple times by multiple people.... They ignored every bit of it and rolled this out exactly like the first test
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Bwahahaha thats exactly right
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 94 Match Maker

I'm firmly in the, I can finally casually play pvp for the progression rewards, category. That doesn't mean I don't understand why some dislike this change. Somehow it seems any change to this game benefits one group but negatively impacts another. This one helped me, but the new 5 star essential nodes in pve stings.

-JaGo
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i actually got the 4* cover. since champing my first 5* i think the percentage of hitting the 4* progression went from probably 95% to maybe 30%. nothing like hitting dual 5* champed/max champed boosted 4* roadblocks at 300 points into an event...

i started going for the 575 cp and quitting without shielding. 

now instead of searching for a winnable match with a decent amount of points (needle in a haystack) i can just find a winnable match. and if they counter, no biggie.

is there a better way? it's probably been suggested here. maybe in the future they can find that balance. for now, i'm looking forward to being able to hit that 4* progression consistently again. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    We had a similar reaction when they brought in vaulting, after several months they realised it doesn’t work 

I think they will do the same with this once they realise their revenue will go down considerably as a result of few people spending hp to shield 

i enjoy the win part of this but you are right about it being less fun and 40 wins is too high a number especially for those of us who have a family life outside of the game and don’t always remember to start the event and get the free fights at the beginning