Are Demi and D3 panicking?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So we all know that demi has made a bunch of very significant changes to the game recently.  Perhaps these changes have all been in development for ages and this is just when happened to roll out. 

But as someone in my alliance family pointed out, what if these changes are a reaction (overreaction?) to a significant change (i.e. drop) in revenue earlier in 2017 that has spooked demi/d3?

Given this hypothesis, let's look at early 2017 and see if there are any changes that might have affected revenue.  I think it's pretty apparent that there are several items that could fit this description

(1) Vaulting
(2) OML nerf
(3) back-to-back bad 5* releases with SL and (especially) Doc Oc

So I think the theory would be that demi made all of those changes for various reasons in early 2017.  But the unintended consequence was a very sharp decline in revenue (some people quit or went f2p over OML, others start hoarding like crazy to avoid bad 5*s and catch up with the current 12 4*s). 

So now d3 is looking at the bottom line for MPQ and panicking over the lost income.  D3 pushes demi to tighten the screws on monetization in a big way.  So we get in fairly quick succession:

(1) 5* essential nodes
(2) no more 1200 cp for 5* transitioners
(3) more 4* covers for the middle class, creating more pressure to spend and save covers
(4) character release events that push us to cover and champ new releases in 10 days or less.

What do people think about this as a hypothesis?  I think there are definitely some holes and plausible alternatives, but I also think the broad strokes are somewhat persuasive. 

Assuming it's true, do people think these changes will result in more spending? or will they push mpq further into a death spiral?  

(Edit for clarity: i dont think that mpq is dying.  If this hypothesis is correct than i woild argue that demi has misdiagnosed the problem. I used the term death sprial to describe a series of negative feedback events, where demi pushes a negative change, then incorrectly diagnoses the problem, and makes a followo-on change that exacerbates the first problem.  Games like this one rarely die outright.  They just fade into obscurity as the hardcore players linger and spend just enough to keep the servers profitable, but with less and less new content.)

Comments

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Buy clubs still rolling along. I don't agree with your hypothesis here.

On a side note your back to back bad 5* releases??? Have you used Ock?? Now I realize I only have 4 champ 5s and I'm certainly not trying to make a case that he is top tier. However, he is a lot of fun to play, has the best AoE in the game damage wise (the 10 turn cd is, admittedly, hard to protect), and actually pairs very well with Thanos. I use him in Versus with Thanos more than Phoenix or Parker.

Also, I see quite a few people running Starlord, especially during R4G boost weeks (for obvious reasons) and he is a pain too deal with.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fun. Lol. Let's check back on this after the season starts.  Their revenue is down.  The competitive player base for pvp is shrinking.  I do believe their is merit in this thought process.  
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    HfH was nerfed due to financial reason.
  • Vhailorx
    edited October 2017
    aa25 said:
    Ooh, i forgot about h4h.  They definitely pulled back on that system; probably because it was too efficient and prroduced a net loss in cover pack sales.

Milk: of course buy clubs still happen.  I said decline in revenue, not end of revenue.  Do you really think interest in buyclubs didnt drop after the oml nerf.

And SL are Doc Oc are both below average 5*s.  Oc worse than SL. And even assuming, in the end, they are both better than the community felt at release, the community was still very cool on both at release.  Whi do you think produced more revenue for mpq at launch?  Star lord, or gambit?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll notice when they panic - this is when they'll roll out guaranteed 5* covers in progression.

Right now they're still trying to figure out ways to improve revenue flow before pushing that emergency button.

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Buy clubs went bananas during the anni sale. More than I have ever seen. They could not execute buy clubs fast enough for the demand.

The people that buy in extreme amounts don't really care about the content. They're addicted to buying and chasing the new shiny. They just buy and buy and buy and are auto-added to buy club lists. Some have HP in the millions...
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Vhailorx said:
    What gives 1200 CP?  I assume the number is a typo, but what was this from?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    moss04 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Buy clubs...
  • Vhailorx
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Buy clubs went bananas during the anni sale. More than I have ever seen. They could not execute buy clubs fast enough for the demand.

The people that buy in extreme amounts don't really care about the content. They're addicted to buying and chasing the new shiny. They just buy and buy and buy and are auto-added to buy club lists. Some have HP in the millions...
    Yeah, it's almost like gambit was may very strong to push some sales.

Huh. Do you think maybe demi did that in reaction to some prior events that reduced sales? /snark
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I think profits are down, so they've been reorganizing.

Signs of death are usually more extreme for the final money grab.
  • Vhailorx
    edited October 2017
    moss04 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    The 15 cp available (until next season begins) at 1200 points in each pvp event.

(And for reference, each 1x stark buy club produces 140 cp for each of 20 members)
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    After using him some in pve, ocks not as bad as i thought, but still not a fan. 

SL is surprisingly good and vastly underrated. 

As for d3, they've made 100s of millions. If the only make half of that they're still doing just fine. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    corytutor said:
    After using him some in pve, ocks not as bad as i thought, but still not a fan. 

SL is surprisingly good and vastly underrated. 

As for d3, they've made 100s of millions. If the only make half of that they're still doing just fine. 
    Well... depends on what their contract MG is with Disney/Marvel. D/M might be doing just fine.  :D
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Vhailorx said:
    aa25 said:
    Ooh, i forgot about h4h.  They definitely pulled back on that system; probably because it was too efficient and prroduced a net loss in cover pack sales.

Milk: of course buy clubs still happen.  I said decline in revenue, not end of revenue.  Do you really think interest in buyclubs didnt drop after the oml nerf.

And SL are Doc Oc are both below average 5*s.  Oc worse than SL. And even assuming, in the end, they are both better than the community felt at release, the community was still very cool on both at release.  Whi do you think produced more revenue for mpq at launch?  Star lord, or gambit?
    Gambit is very obviously OP. Again, I'm not trying to say that Ock or Starlord are top tier. My point was until you use them how can you say back to back bad releases? I don't think Ock is bad, there will always be a best of and a worst of, but even if he is the worst of that doesn't necessarily make him bad. He has great utility and pairs nicely with Thanos. I enjoy using him and use him over other 5s I have champed. Other 5s that the general consensus is they are better than Ock.

As far as SL goes my only real use of mine, 3/3/2 270, was in his required story. He was fun and I can see him being good, but I try to hold off my judgements until I use them fully covered and leveled.

To your original point, no I don't think d3/demi is panicking. That was my point by saying buy clubs are still rolling. Anyone that has actually seen a buy club room knows that is where the revenue comes from. Not a newbie dropping a stark or two to buy roster spots. I said it in the time gem thread, buy clubs happen 24/7 and are one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Some of those people spend more every couple days than I have in 2+ years!!
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Revenue may be dropping but i doubt it’s panic. If it was they’re stupid to ignore their dedicated player base yet again. A lot of game designers that used to ignore their players have changed their minds for the better (ie. dice)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would they change PvP to a win-based progression if they were worried about revenue? That's a change that will result in a lot fewer HP expenditures on shielding. I for one know I'll never spend another point of HP on a shield under the new system.