This SHIELD training is worse than the last one!

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I don't have Invisible Woman, so I can complete... one whole node?

Wow. Great, thanks.

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

I haven't played yet, but can't you at least play the two other trees with Rogue and Elektra?

• NotBAMF
    Oh, perhaps. I thought they were sequential and that I needed IW to get to the Elektra node, but maybe not. I'll go back and see.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

Wow. Great, thanks.

You also won't be able to do any of the far right nodes, as you need all three characters.
  • NotBAMF
    edited October 2017

Yeah, it's possible I'm entirely wrong here and that this training is just AS bad as the previous one. I don't recall... Did you individually need Cyke, Wolverine, and Prof X last time? I thought for the nodes leading up to Call For Backup, you could use any characters. Maybe I'm mistaken.

If so, don't mind me. I'm not super observant. :)

Also, I don't know what's wrong with my brain... I looked at this and just assumed it was a progression line. Like you needed to beat each node to get to the "next" one. I seriously never thought to look that you could hop around the nodes and complete whichever ones you had access to. It doesn't do me any good--I can still only hit the top line Rogue and Elektra ones--but still... I never realized!

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Still a bummer that you need a 209 Rogue to get the Nightcrawler cover

I feel like most of the players that have that many covers for her already likely would end up with a lot of covers for a new character anyways
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    NotBAMF said:

Yeah, it's possible I'm entirely wrong here and that this training is just AS bad as the previous one. I don't recall... Did you individually need Cyke, Wolverine, and Prof X last time? I thought for the nodes leading up to Call For Backup, you could use any characters. Maybe I'm mistaken.

If so, don't mind me. I'm not super observant. :)

Also, I don't know what's wrong with my brain... I looked at this and just assumed it was a progression line. Like you needed to beat each node to get to the "next" one. I seriously never thought to look that you could hop around the nodes and complete whichever ones you had access to. It doesn't do me any good--I can still only hit the top line Rogue and Elektra ones--but still... I never realized!

Last time, the layout was different, you started top left and went through each row.

As far as I remember, you needed all three in the fourth mission of each row. (and if you didn't have them, you were locked out of the next row)

But I didn't pay too close attention as well since I had them champed anyway.

And in my opinion, this event is worse than the last one, since 99.x% of the playerbase don't have a level 209 rogue and won't get a Nightcrawler cover. If they gave us more than 7 days to get covers for a character which only enters tokens tomorrow, it would be far better.

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    To have to have a 209 Rogue to have a shot at the Nightcrawler cover gave a chuckle. It doesn't surprise me one bit with D3. Greedy Devs being greedy. 

At least I was able to complete 10 nodes, I guess. 
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I thought I was doing okay with a 3/3/3 Rogue at this point.  That only puts her at 188.  Hopefully she's available in tokens soon, so I can favorite her to try and get another cover before this ends, I think that would put her at 209.

At least I got some extra ISO out of the deal, either way.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    The 'boss' nodes are also much harder. At least the first one is. Iceman, Wasp and Gamora which is a painful team to play against to say the least.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah this is definitely worse than last time by a good deal.  The Hunt tokens are a nice improvement giving you up to 4 chances to pull an extra Nightcrawler (though it would be nice to know what % chance he is, new UI doesn't represent that anywhere near as clearly as the old...)

I don't like the trend of throwing the new characters in this.  I fear that after 2 new character releases from now all 4 of the required characters will be the newer ones...

It's trash.  0.1% of the player base will be able to complete it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tee said:
    The 'boss' nodes are also much harder. At least the first one is. Iceman, Wasp and Gamora which is a painful team to play against to say the least.

Come now, they're level 90.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    Come now, they're level 90.
    And your team is Rogue, 4*Elektra and Invisible Woman. Maybe it's just my unlucky self but a 4 turn stun and 3k+ teamwide damage is still frustrating.
  • Cyvus
    Cyvus Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I'm cool with the general design of the SHIELD training.  They're giving free covers and tokens and ISO to people who have made specific progress within the game - that's overall a good thing. 

In this specific instance, I have a fully covered Elektra and a fully covered Invisible Woman.  I have zero interest in getting them to level 209, so I'm going to sit out on the top rewards here.  These are old characters that I've chosen not to spend resources on; this is fine with me.

What's not cool though is requiring a 209 Rogue.  This is just not a realistic requirement for 99% of the player base.  I've seen people say this is an anti-hoarding tactic, but 9-10 covers for a character you can't even favourite isn't about hoarding it's entirely about spending - and spending a ridiculous amount.  I could blow my entire hoard and drop $150 and still not get sufficient covers to participate.  

When a prominent reward is this unattainable it just serves to make players feel bad.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Hahahaha, Rogue +lv.120 for second line battles, i assume she need more level for third line. Sutil way from devs to spend iso on new released chars. No way, i pass.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    broll said:
    I don't like the trend of throwing the new characters in this.  I fear that after 2 new character releases from now all 4 of the required characters will be the newer ones...

And it will only be the 4* releases, since they didn't include Gambit (who people actually COULD have gotten fully covered in time for the event without spending money) as one of the required characters. 

If they do that, it makes the cash grab scenario more plausible. 
    I felt that the first iteration was a cash grab, but that's mainly because I couldn't think of any other reason. But it didn't really make a lot of sense even as a cash grab. It seems like it would have cost hundreds, maybe over a thousand, dollars to have gotten Rogue to level 251 in time for the last event (though I could well be missing something). 

I can believe that people would do that ( know that people at the top of the standings in my slice had her champed). What I found hard to believe is that there were people who were not willing to pay that money that were induced to do so by 3 CP and an LT (is that really going to be the thing that pushes you over the edge?).
    I think that the people who were going to pay to champ her right away would have done so whether they ran SHIELD training or not. In fact, it seems that those people would actually spend slightly less to champ her since they are now getting another free cover from SHIELD training - at least the ones who had the required characters at 209.3 CP and an LT doesn't really makes sense as a reward to veteran players or whales either since it is a negligible reward for players at that level

But if they are going to make it where the required characters are the three most recent 4*s, it makes a bit more sense as a cash grab (for one thing, once the character goes into heroics, you can favorite them and buy tokens directly with HP rather than having to go through CP via buy clubs etc.).

OTOH, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I wouldn't spend money even to get ALL the rewards in SHIELD training because they just aren't that great - though maybe they'll keep increasing them as they add two more new 4*s to the mix (assuming they do so).

Another possibility is that they're just trying to milk Rogue for all she's worth, since she was one of the most requested characters (though wasn't Gambit the most requested by a considerable margin?)
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Rogue is in tokens now, for what it's worth. Doc Ock still hasn't left yet though, so I'm still going to wait.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    NotBAMF said:

Wow. Great, thanks.

The entire MO of this game is to punish people for not having everything.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I was able to play the top row and IW's column of matches and that was it :-( My IW is 229, Rogue is 74 and Elektra only 70
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Infrared said:
    Rogue is in tokens now, for what it's worth. Doc Ock still hasn't left yet though, so I'm still going to wait.
    Yeah me too. My hoard could probably get my Rogue far enough to (hopefully) champ her, but I'm gonna wait for miserable Ock to disappear and Gambit to arrive. Dunno if that'll happen before simulator ends.If it does, great. If not, Rogue & Gambit > Nightcrawler.