Tips and advice for a new player

Options

Comments

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Welcome @ElvaanStrider please check out @span_argoman 's excellent guides in tips and tricks: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67486/setting-expectations-the-first-few-weeks

thank you @babar3355 you are correct that my group is a good place for new players to learn and, since our system is so transparent, experience with us is great on a resume for transferring to some of the more serious teams. 
  • ElvaanStride
    ElvaanStride Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Welcome @ElvaanStrider please check out @span_argoman 's excellent guides in tips and tricks: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67486/setting-expectations-the-first-few-weeks

thank you @babar3355 you are correct that my group is a good place for new players to learn and, since our system is so transparent, experience with us is great on a resume for transferring to some of the more serious teams. 

Thank you for the Guide link!
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dropspot said:
    My advice is to don't bother much to level your starting walkers to lvl60. Save those runes and use it to level better pws that you are inevitably going to aquire.
    I have all of the starting walkers at 21, should I get them to 26 for access to their 3rd abilities?
    As I said look at mtgpq.info to have a idea of how it will cost you and what you are going to have access by leveling your pws. 

I would probably level my pws till 40 then start saving for others. I am playing this game for almost a year now, I have 23 pws and most of them are still at level 40 or 50. Only 2 of them are 60. The rule of the thumb is that it costs as much runes to level a PW to 50 as it takes to level from 50 to 60. So I usually prefer to have 2 pws at 50 than 1 at 60.
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Skip Trial of the Planes until you hit platinum. The other events are all good experience. 
    Even though you get a pack with a single win? 

I did the White event yesterday, got my pack and thought I "broke even".
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Dropspot said:
    Dropspot said:
    My advice is to don't bother much to level your starting walkers to lvl60. Save those runes and use it to level better pws that you are inevitably going to aquire.
    I have all of the starting walkers at 21, should I get them to 26 for access to their 3rd abilities?
    As I said look at mtgpq.info to have a idea of how it will cost you and what you are going to have access by leveling your pws. 

I would probably level my pws till 40 then start saving for others. I am playing this game for almost a year now, I have 23 pws and most of them are still at level 40 or 50. Only 2 of them are 60. The rule of the thumb is that it costs as much runes to level a PW to 50 as it takes to level from 50 to 60. So I usually prefer to have 2 pws at 50 than 1 at 60.
    Excellent, this type of "real world experience" from veteran players is what I find extremely useful and interesting.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Never buy single packs! Only buy premium packs! And I would recommend saving to be able to buy pws at some point. Although in the very beginning cards tend to be more important than when you are more experienced...
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Dropspot said:
    Never buy single packs! Only buy premium packs!
    Gotcha ;)
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skip Trial of the Planes until you hit platinum. The other events are all good experience. 
    Even though you get a pack with a single win? 

I did the White event yesterday, got my pack and thought I "broke even".

The pack is not worth the crystals you pay to enter. Save your crystals for purchasing future planeswalkers, or premium packs that have a guaranteed rare.  Relatedly, don't buy single packs or super packs, and log in daily to get the calendar rewards.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On that note, set a calendar reminder to log in and collect your daily reward 
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As tempting as it is I would advise against converting your duplicate cards, while runes are a bit hard to come by at times, supposedly we are getting booster crafting that will use dupes to gain a currency in the nearish future.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As a new player he doesn't have that many dupes. He's better off converting. 
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    As a new player he doesn't have that many dupes. He's better off converting. 
    Considering I only have 2 Rares in total, I shouldn't worry about converting the Common/Uncommons.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @ElvaanStrider
    Most important piece of advice I have, just have fun. Don't let the game become a chore, or feel like a job. Don't let the game frustrate you if you get to a point where you aren't progressing like you want to be. Remember, it's just a game.
    If you ever need help just ask. There are really great experienced players here that can give some excellent advice. And then there's me. 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Also keep in mind ixalan is coming, so you will need crystals for Vraska, the BG walker, and one of the strongest noncycling walker in the game, based on the colour combination. 
    (Ofc depends upon gains and abilities)

More importantly, you will need the latest walkers to play in their release events, typically same week they become available for crystals. These are the most rewarding events in the game right now.

Once they go on sale for $, you have about 3 weeks to save up, but just a general tip ;) the first walker should be in December If all goes as it should, so you should be platinum by then, once you have the cycling finished :)
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cycling is the most powerful (some would say overpowered) mechanic this game has seen since release. If you want to win games, and you don't mind a bit of RSI, then when you have a choice of boosters to go for, go for AKH/HOR ones.

Ideally you're hoping to luck into the rare cards Drake Haven and New Perspectives [edit - these are in AKH], but there is certainly overpowered goodness at uncommon and common, like Cast Out, Desert of the Mindful, Djeru's Renunciation, Oketra's Attendant, Lay Claim, or Faith of the Devoted.
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on what to do long-term with Crystals @Thuran

@shteev I have also seen already how powerful Cycling is, so I am waiting for the cards to drop. I have Cast Out, Desert of the Mindful and Djeru's Renunciation already too!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're missing the two keys to cycling. Drake Haven and new perspectives. 
  • ElvaanStride
    Options
    @Ohboy Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those!
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still missing Drake Haven too.. pretty sure its a blessing in a curse's clothing.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah I'm missing Drake Haven as well but Faith of the Devoted is also a great cycling card to have.