PSA: HoR (was supposed to be) Legacy 10/18

Options
madwren
madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Don't want people to miss this and be surprised. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/68218/changes-to-event-schedule-and-events-10-16-17

Edit: Apparently the change did not go through, for this week at least.

Comments

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention @madwren
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Complete ****. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rather sad about this. I enjoy building for standard. I guess I'll keep doing things my way and watch others do it better without restrictions.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is just wrong 
  • Dave808
    Dave808 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I have to disagree. I think it's a great idea. 
  • bk1234
    Options
    Doomstat said:
    Rather sad about this. I enjoy building for standard. I guess I'll keep doing things my way and watch others do it better without restrictions.
    I will continue to play standard on at least 2 nodes -- however I have 2 decks that won't stand up to legacy so I will have to make minor adjustments. I also enjoy standard. 

Dave808 said:
    It's a great idea for people who just joined the game in the last 5 months to get beat down by Olivias and pigs because they haven't had access to the cards that can stop them? You're right -- that sounds awesome. (and by awesome I mean completely ridiculous) 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Dave808 said:
    It's a great idea for people who just joined the game in the last 5 months to get beat down by Olivias and pigs because they haven't had access to the cards that can stop them? You're right -- that sounds awesome. (and by awesome I mean completely ridiculous) 

People were divided when the game shifted to standard as well. I think we should hear him out. Tell us dave, what's the silver lining here?
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Doomstat said:
    I will continue to play standard on at least 2 nodes -- however I have 2 decks that won't stand up to legacy so I will have to make minor adjustments. I also enjoy standard. 

Dave808 said:
    I have no preference either way if HoR is legacy or not. I don't own Olivia or Pig or Omniscience or Deploy the Gatewatch. AKH Cycling beats all of those anyway. So if you don't have those "OP" mythic cards like me, you can play with even more OP cycle decks like me and still win.

In general, I like having more legacy events. It is also good for d3go. If d3go wants us to continue to pay us$50 a card, having more events to play them in will encourage purchases.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My cycle decks are standard format btw. nothing legacy fancy. 
  • bk1234
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Doomstat said:

Dave808 said:
    I have no preference either way if HoR is legacy or not. I don't own Olivia or Pig or Omniscience or Deploy the Gatewatch. AKH Cycling beats all of those anyway. So if you don't have those "OP" mythic cards like me, you can play with even more OP cycle decks like me and still win.

In general, I like having more legacy events. It is also good for d3go. If d3go wants us to continue to pay us$50 a card, having more events to play them in will encourage purchases.
    I own all of those cards and will rock Legacy HoR and I'm still opposed.

A lot of new and mid level players don't have the key cards to make cycling viable -- even the commons and uncommons. 

What you have is the skill level of a long time player and you have played for a top coalition (sometimes 2 at once) since the beginning. Skill level and experience make a difference when cards are lacking. 

At some point we need to stop thinking in terms of "this is good for me" and start talking about what is good for everyone -- if we don't, we won't have a game. 
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's hard to really have an opinion. I don't have a lot of the op legacy cards, but I have some. It would be fun to play some of my favorite cards like oath of Liliana. But playing against the same configurations gets old. Tezz with BTB and SA is miserable. Kiora with waterveil and Hydra with a side of prismatic array is miserable. Anything involving deploy or the pigliviarich triumvirate isn't fun. This will make the ogs happy, but we're losing numbers. Meh. I'll survive same as I did before standard. I do have better cards now. I'm still more concerned with the fact that I'm losing multiple nodes due to "known issues"
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What's the reasoning behind doing this before Ixalan drops, and Standard rotates?
  • shteev
    Options

playing against the same configurations gets old. Tezz with BTB and SA is miserable. Kiora with waterveil and Hydra with a side of prismatic array is miserable. Anything involving deploy or the pigliviarich triumvirate isn't fun. This will make the ogs happy, but we're losing numbers. Meh.
    Agreed. This is a card balance issue, of the type that papering over the cracks with the Standard/Legacy split obviously didn't solve.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev said:

playing against the same configurations gets old. Tezz with BTB and SA is miserable. Kiora with waterveil and Hydra with a side of prismatic array is miserable. Anything involving deploy or the pigliviarich triumvirate isn't fun. This will make the ogs happy, but we're losing numbers. Meh.
    Agreed. This is a card balance issue, of the type that papering over the cracks with the Standard/Legacy split obviously didn't solve.
    Just a thought... what if some,  not all, but what if some of these legacy events prohibited mythics and masterpieces as part of the building challenge.  Seems to me that over the past year,  the primary complaint about power creep sources from many of these earlier mythic releases.  Can't see why such events couldn't work.  @Ohboy did an experiment awhile back using no mythics,  (or rares too if I remember correctly) to beat TotP in all colors and he did with resounding success.  Pretty good thread from what remember. 
  • shteev
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    shteev said:

Just a thought... what if some,  not all, but what if some of these legacy events prohibited mythics and masterpieces as part of the building challenge.  Seems to me that over the past year,  the primary complaint about power creep sources from many of these earlier mythic releases.  Can't see why such events couldn't work.  @Ohboy did an experiment awhile back using no mythics,  (or rares too if I remember correctly) to beat TotP in all colors and he did with resounding success.  Pretty good thread from what remember. 
    The last time this was suggested some people screamed blue murder.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a more cynical mindset, and believe that the reason they did this was because sales of older card sets are down/minimal, and they're trying to get people to invest in them in order to compete again. 

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm surprised to see 3.2 mentioned as hard.  It's been my easiest and fastest match in recent PvE event history (Kiora, bounce effect heavy with unsummon, galestrike, etc).  Most of the time I take no damage while he stubbornly tries to get an expensive creature to stay on the board.

But more on topic, I think this is one of the very, very rare situations where the majority of the player base is in agreement that this makes little sense to make HOR legacy as the most recent event over some of the older events.

But I also have a suspicion that this was a suggestion from someone who felt they were "speaking for the majority".  Lol.  As is so often the case, that's never really true.  That or something got lost in translation somewhere.

It's fairly important to keep the current set crop of events in limited format, with the possible exception of PvE where it doesn't really matter except from a challenge point of view.  My two cents.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is terrible, not for me personally--I have awesome legacy cards--but for my new players. 

While I did advocate for legacy in PVE, I think it's a mistake to allow legacy PVP in current sets. PVP is fine. No one is complaining about PVP. PVE sucks, more cards might make it more fun. 

Seriously, this is one of the most poorly thought out schemes I've seen from D3... and you've set the bar pretty high. @Brigby
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    shteev said:

The last time this was suggested some people screamed blue murder.

That is a bit disappointing to hear. But then again, when did the forum ever not scream blue murder over any change? Drop number of events: scream blue murder. Drop Mythics as prizes for events: scream blue murder. Adding Standard events: scream blue murder. Introduced Jewels for elite packs: scream blue murder. Announced that dupes with be automatically converted to runes when (and if) Booster crafting comes out: scream blue murder. Making HoR Legacy: scream blue murder... You get the gist. lol.

Still though, a mythic/masterpiece-free legacy event, even if a minor one, would be fun IMHO. I'd even go so far as to say that Mythics as a prize for this category would be worthy. I can see why the Toxic elite wouldn't care for this, it doesn't "guarantee" them a top spot. Anyways, I do see your point @shteev People don't like change in here.