Just a friendly PvP advice

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
If you have a choice, stop using Str3nge or undercovered Thano5 in PvP, especially when Grocket & Gamora are boosted!

Why so ? Because people with champed Grocket & Gamora (like myself) will stomp your team in seconds and will likely skip other match ups in your team's favor. Str3nge is the first to go down with 2 tile matches, while Thanos will be left for last when he does almost nothing. Even if Str3nge would not get down so easily, he is so easily countered by Gamora's stun, that he won't do anything for you on defense. 

Of course, I like seeing Str3nge or undercovered Thanos teams, because I can climb easily, but from defense point of view, they are really bad in PvP.

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    To be fair, those ridiculous strike tiles will rip thru just about anyone in a few turns...my friendly advice for this PvP is to actually take down Gambit first if using GamRocket...otherwise he'll spam that purple and overwrite all your tiles. As much as I love Gambit as a Marvel character, that feeder power is just a tad OP in my humble opinion...
  • D4Ni13
    tanis3303 said:
    To be fair, those ridiculous strike tiles will rip thru just about anyone in a few turns...my friendly advice for this PvP is to actually take down Gambit first if using GamRocket...otherwise he'll spam that purple and overwrite all your tiles. As much as I love Gambit as a Marvel character, that feeder power is just a tad OP in my humble opinion...
    That is correct Gambit must be killed first, then the others. I was talking in general, but yeah I personally killed Gambit first every time no matter how developed he was.

Now there is a caveat here also. If you cannot kill Gambit too soon, it might be a good idea to at least wait until he consumes the AP he gathered. Because if he managed to get enough AP to feed somebody else after his death, you get the bigger damage in the face.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even without R&G boosted, I always go for Strange teams. It's easy enough to not fire powers until I have enough AP to either stun or one-shot him. He's amazing for PvE Goon nodes, but he's just a huge target in PvP.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    There's always a bigger fish in the PvP sea ....

Please do keep running Gramora. They allow you guys to climb higher and faster than normal, and they are so, so tasty. Can't have just one. Yum!

What's your anti-Gramora team @aesthetocyst
    ?

• alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Champed/boosted Gamora/R&G with chew through Champed BP5/Thanos5... never-mind the under covered ones!

It's the new meta, fastest PvE clear team as well.  I loved the Carnage node...

5k match damage, 5k attack damage by the second round.  wheee!
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    They're a great attacking team, but they aren't that impressive on defence, unless you take the wrong team to fight them.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Are that many people using unboosted 3* Strange in PVP?  Wish I could see them!

I agree with others that Grocket/Gamora are easy pickings for 5* rosters.  My only usable 5's are OML and Surfer, and they both work well.  Focus on taking out the attack tiles, and they can heal back most of the damage done.  The AI doesn't prioritize special tiles, so they stick around much longer, but a real player can get rid of most of them quickly.  Thing or BSSM can work well too, but you use what you've got!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is no such thing as defense in PvP.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Give me those loaners/underleveled characters for my Thano5 to eat
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 said:

Honestly, even 5* Strange is pretty easy to devour with Gramorocket.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 said:
    There's not a lot, but they are out there.  I usually target them when I see them.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Yes, there is. It's called making your team annoying with endless passives. You get skipped because people don't want to sit there for 60 seconds while your AI completes a turn.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    alaeth said:
    Champed/boosted Gamora/R&G with chew through Champed BP5/Thanos5... never-mind the under covered ones!

New meta? Id like to introduce you to bolt gambit. 

Now gamora groot, thats fine for pve. Bring it to pvp and you're shark food. 
  • D4Ni13
    corytutor said:
    alaeth said:

New meta? Id like to introduce you to bolt gambit. 

Now gamora groot, thats fine for pve. Bring it to pvp and you're shark food. 
    Well it depends. For 5* rosters any 4* team may be shark food. But less people are in 5* land than in 4* land. And the fact is that Gamora & Grocket burns through your health packs. Yeah, you may defeat them, but you take damage. So they are not so favored as opponents than other teams. 
  • D4Ni13
    broll said:
    Pants1000 said:
    There's not a lot, but they are out there.  I usually target them when I see them.
    There were a lot more in Gambit PvP, probably to counter him. Having Grocket & Gamora, my matches looked like this: match 2 times = kill Gambit. Match 2 times again = kill Strange. And the last one fell soon after. 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Ah to be in 3land again. 

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Yes, there is. It's called making your team annoying with endless passives. You get skipped because people don't want to sit there for 60 seconds while your AI completes a turn.
    The optimism of youth is nice but ultimately wrong. 

If a target is worth good points it *will* be hit. (There maybe a small exception to dual 550's or dual 479's).
  • D4Ni13
    Borstock said:
    The optimism of youth is nice but ultimately wrong. 

If a target is worth good points it *will* be hit. (There maybe a small exception to dual 550's or dual 479's).
    I don't think the question is if it will get hit or not, but how often would someone be tempted to hit a team over another. If you had to choose between a team that leaves your guys with half health at the end of the fight, or a team that drags the match too long, which one would you fight ? That is the actual question that I (personally) think about when I'm talking about defence. There could be others, but eventually all that matters besides points is the balance between having enough health to continue fighting and reaching your objective. If a team gives me more points but makes me loose a lot of health and puts my objective in danger, than I would skip for a lower target and fewer points.

So defence does matter a bit.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    The only reasons I skip are if the targets are friendly, not worth enough points or very rarely because I don't think I can beat the team.  

And not all dual 479's or 550's are the same.  For example a 550 OML/PHX can be consistently beaten, a 550 Thanos/Panther or Bolt/Surfer not so easily.