So how is that OML nerf looking now?

Comments

• Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    OML I can't comment on, as I'm in 4* land, but XFW I'd love to see redone. He went from XFarce to OP to completely forgettable. Fix is simple IMO. Green needs damage, Black needs to either destroy enemy AP or gain AP from destroyed tiles (it used to do both, for those that weren't around in those days).
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I agree with most of the people above.  He is great for early nodes with Thanos but he is definitely not the meat shield he used to be, sometime you have to slow down and give him a little time to heal, that is where he got hammered, not as bad as his 4 star version but it I would argue his 3 is a better healer when both are scaled.  For pvp, I use him relatively often since he is my second highest 5 star at lvl 435 but he is used primarily to protect whatever 4 star is boosted.  He is still solid for getting out attack tiles and once transformed is strength, in my opinion, is now in his yellow power, it is a solid and quick aoe and if matched with 4Starloard can be devastating.  When boosted Cloak and Dagger are a great partner for him, solid when not.  He is still very good in pve but I will hit him in pvp whenever I see him even if championed and I only have 1 championed 5 star, as long as you control black and yellow he is not dangerous.  
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    I promoted him few days ago (first 5* promoted)... since then my **** is being kicked in PvP... badly...
    OML himself is good tank, but he creates no synergy with other champs. He is awesome for PvE as tank, to save heals and so... in PvP, less so - powered 4* can beat him with ease.
    Geez, in Gambit PvP, Coulson and Hawkeye are OP horribly... OML? Can withstand few hits but dies before becoming useful.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017

Every Wolverine has been nerfed except Patch.. the sad part is they didn't learn their lession from XFWs nerf.. he became non-existent.. which is where OML will be. Maybe when/if they create a 6*, they won't make Wolverine the second new character again.. maybe wait this time so we don't get another unnecessary Wolverine nerf.

Edit: Actually Patch was indirectly nerfed during the Health Increases change where 99% of the characters received higher health, except Patch (and Daken, OBW, Loki, Hood, CStorm, XFW)

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Every Wolverine has been nerfed except Patch.. the sad part is they didn't learn their lession from XFWs nerf.. he became non-existent.. which is where OML will be. Maybe when/if they create a 6*, they won't make Wolverine the second new character again.. maybe wait this time so we don't get another unnecessary Wolverine nerf.
    Won't change. Logan is so popular he'll draw people into that * tier. So he's got to be bad ****. Then after awhile, they'll do as they please with him. 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Beer40 said:
    Won't change. Logan is so popular he'll draw people into that * tier. So he's got to be bad tinykitty. Then after awhile, they'll do as they please with him. 
    Well,he is not that bad, since he can tank most of the fights... he may be useless in PvP, but i will use him for PvE when i move to SCL 8, 9 or 10 (unless there will be some useful powered 4*s like Groot + Gamora :D )
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taganov said:
    OML I can't comment on, as I'm in 4* land, but XFW I'd love to see redone. He went from XFarce to OP to completely forgettable. Fix is simple IMO. Green needs damage, Black needs to either destroy enemy AP or gain AP from destroyed tiles (it used to do both, for those that weren't around in those days).
    His Green definitely needs a buff, but Surgical Strike is completely fine.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Anon said:
    Taganov said:
    I agree that SS is fine in terms of damage, but in terms of utility, it's bland. Even fixing his green, he'd be one of those 'field only when boosted/essential' characters. Too many other 4s have strong active/passive abilities to bother with XFW, which is a shame.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every Wolverine has been nerfed except Patch..
    Patch was bugged when he was released though - he created friendly strike tiles on both Green and Purple instead of friendly strike tiles on green and enemy strike tiles on purple. Some people cried about a nerf when the bug was fixed even though it was an obvious mistake if you only read the power description.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Ruinate:

Who said all nerfs are bad?  

The OML nerf was, and reamins, pointless.  It "solved" a non-existent problem.  It screwed some people over (specifically those with just 1 or 2 5*s) without actually changing the 5* meta then or now.  

But yeah, it sure is silly to talk about things that have happened in the past.  I mean, what could we possibly learn from prior experiences?
    Which meta are we talking about, PvE or PvP?  Because the theory that OML's nerf was aimed at PVP has been thoroughly debunked, over and over and over. 

OML was nerfed because of his ability to grind in PvE. Only a small handful of players actually cared about him in pvp by that point, not to mention that his nerf barely even affected his pvp performance anyway. 

So did it change the PvE environment? Not a ton, thanks to Thanos, but that's a whole other kettle of fish, and you can't say the meta would be better if OML were still healing his way onto Thanos teams for even more infinite tapping. 
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    veny said:
    I promoted him few days ago (first 5* promoted)... since then my tinykitty is being kicked in PvP... badly...
    OML himself is good tank, but he creates no synergy with other champs. He is awesome for PvE as tank, to save heals and so... in PvP, less so - powered 4* can beat him with ease.
    Geez, in Gambit PvP, Coulson and Hawkeye are OP horribly... OML? Can withstand few hits but dies before becoming useful.
    for gambit pvp try him with champ 4IF, respec oml to 3/5/5.  quite some synergy in my opinion.  gambits cheap powers generates lots of strikes.  oml shields IF when matching black.   

of course 4if is the true assassin here.  but oml is the tank and support with his strike tiles
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    just ask d3 to post their health pack sales after the nerf and u will see if improved their bottom line.  if they want to reduce his yellow and black damage cause of CnD, there was no need to reduce his healing at all.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Ruinate:

The OML nerf was, and reamins, pointless.  It "solved" a non-existent problem.  It screwed some people over (specifically those with just 1 or 2 5*s) without actually changing the 5* meta then or now.  

But yeah, it sure is silly to talk about things that have happened in the past.  I mean, what could we possibly learn from prior experiences?
    Which meta are we talking about, PvE or PvP?  Because the theory that OML's nerf was aimed at PVP has been thoroughly debunked, over and over and over. 

OML was nerfed because of his ability to grind in PvE. Only a small handful of players actually cared about him in pvp by that point, not to mention that his nerf barely even affected his pvp performance anyway. 

So did it change the PvE environment? Not a ton, thanks to Thanos, but that's a whole other kettle of fish, and you can't say the meta would be better if OML were still healing his way onto Thanos teams for even more infinite tapping. 
    What utter nonsense. Debunked by who, you?

I have OML and the nerf drastically affected my pvp game, as it did for anyone who had him champed. From being a strong 5* he was suddenly the weakest, and now I won’t even use him any more in PvP. 

I actually still use him in PvE, as Thanos fodder. That’s pretty much all he’s useful for now. That and LRs.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taganov said:
    Anon said:
    I agree that SS is fine in terms of damage, but in terms of utility, it's bland. Even fixing his green, he'd be one of those 'field only when boosted/essential' characters. Too many other 4s have strong active/passive abilities to bother with XFW, which is a shame.
    To be fair, 'field only when boosted/essential' is over half of the 4* tier. 75%, even. He'd be in good company. He could use some more HP, though. So many 4* powers just one-shot him now.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Because the oml nerf is the biggest issue now.  :D:D:D:D
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    Just some follow on questions now that we are several months later.  

Which 5* players would use be using OML over their current 5* A teams these days?  Is OML faster hopping than panthos?  Is he better than the recent run of strong characters: spidey, dd, and gambit (the new chase character)?

Who has 350+ 4*s like carol, medusa, and blade, but would choose to use OML over those 4*s even when boosted?

Was this nerf even necessary in early 2017? And how silly does it look now?

I have two champed 5*s, Logan and Phoenix.  I haven't been able to champ another 5*, despite throwing almost 600 CP at the fan faves tokens.  My PvP MMR gives me 75%+ champed 5* opponents.  

This year has been SO much fun in PvP!  /s
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    The nerf was stupid and I still hate it.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use OML in PVE to save on health packs for PVP.  If I want a quick or easy node to clear I swap in someone else.  Some characters have their uses.  OML's is just to save health packs.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    A complete reversion of the nerf to XFW would be a fantastic counter to the Panthos teams out there.  XFW + Cloak and Dagger, Mordo, or 3* Iron Fist would give a very viable way for lower tiers to punch up against Panthos.  Would even be a nice counter to Carols.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    Ruinate:

Please put the crack pipe down! Oml was one of the strongest characters in PVP! I Believe D3 stated they nerf him was because he was used in 90% of all pvp matches. The real reason was they want you to buy health packs.