So how is that OML nerf looking now?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just some follow on questions now that we are several months later.  

Which 5* players would use be using OML over their current 5* A teams these days?  Is OML faster hopping than panthos?  Is he better than the recent run of strong characters: spidey, dd, and gambit (the new chase character)?

Who has 350+ 4*s like carol, medusa, and blade, but would choose to use OML over those 4*s even when boosted?

Was this nerf even necessary in early 2017? And how silly does it look now?

Comments

• Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    He is still all over devil dino pvp for me seems he is still popular even post nerf
    I think Carol may need a nerf though she is everywhere and it is boring when someone is your pvp opponents team all the time by buffs or nerfs need more even footing Carol and x force wolverine feel like several tiers apart
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hasn't changed how I use him in 4* land. He's still the match DMG dude I pair with Thanos to wipe out easy nodes. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML has long been passed over by modern 5*.  The best comparision would be 4* cyclops to 4* carol with both at the same levels.  Head to Head PP would obliterate OML.  In fact, DD is sorta like a revamped version of OML.  Strike generator with outrageous healing.

That said,  OML is still a rock solid climbing team with many varied uses.  No, I wouldn't use OMl in a hop team pairing,  but he's still a bread and butter character on that initial climb to 900.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I think the nature of power creep and new combo's with new character releases typically make most nerfs look pretty bad over time.

Do we still feel Sentry nerf is required?
    What about the nerf to XForce green?  (admittedly XF black could still be OP if reverted back)

If OML was brought back to his old stats then the meta wouldn't change.   OML/Phx is too slow for Thanos and definitely too slow against the future potential GamBolt. 
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    It's silly to keep talking about it and even sillier to not acknowledge that nerfs are necessary.  I'm glad the ones who think any and all nerfs are a bad thing aren't the ones designing the game.  
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m not a 5* player but my thoughts haven’t changed. Thought it was dumb then, think it’s dumb now.
    Same. My OML is 1/1/0 (I got that yellow cover AFTER he was nerfed) and I never use him.

Don't understand why he was nerfed. He was already overshadowed by Thanos and Black Bolt.
  • Vhailorx
    edited October 2017
    babinro said:
    I think the nature of power creep and new combo's with new character releases typically make most nerfs look pretty bad over time.

Do we still feel Sentry nerf is required?
    What about the nerf to XForce green?  (admittedly XF black could still be OP if reverted back)

If OML was brought back to his old stats then the meta wouldn't change.   OML/Phx is too slow for Thanos and definitely too slow against the future potential GamBolt. 
    But you are conflating a two different kinds of nerfs there.  

Sentry and xfw black probably needed a nerf.  Those powers were just too dominant the game at the time.  But they were both over-nerfed.

The xfw green nerf was awful at the time and even worse now that multiple 4* characters have stronger-than-pre-nerf-xfw-green powers as their second or best power.

(A third category of nerf is 3* if purple nerfed right after launch.  That was a good nerf.  He was op, then got nerfed. And was still quite good.)
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Lolol past. Pffft. 

Past says dont spend for fear of nerf
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Feel the same as I did at the time - his healing probably warranted a nerf, because he was borderline unkillable with both allies standing unless you saved up enough AP to burn him in one go. But it was way overdone - now he barely keeps pace with match damage from other 5s, and if he eats power damage he needs to be shielded and babysat for multiple turns.

That said, the change to his active yellow was a buff in most respects, which balances it out a bit. If his healing was just a few percentage points stronger he'd be fine.
  • Vhailorx
    Jarvind said:
    Feel the same as I did at the time - his healing probably warranted a nerf, because he was borderline unkillable with both allies standing unless you saved up enough AP to burn him in one go. But it was way overdone - now he barely keeps pace with match damage from other 5s, and if he eats power damage he needs to be shielded and babysat for multiple turns.

That said, the change to his active yellow was a buff in most respects, which balances it out a bit. If his healing was just a few percentage points stronger he'd be fine.
    I would give him the old x3 modifier on his healing, so that he can heal a bit on his own.  Maybe 3x1k per turn?  And i might bump his black strike tiles back up a bit.  

But i honestly don't think real 5* play (i.e. play when a player can choose from a deeper, 6+ bench of 5*s and has real options) would change much at all if he went to pre-nerf numbers WITH the 6ap yellow.   
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Jarvind said:

I would give him the old x3 modifier on his healing, so that he can heal a bit on his own.  Maybe 3x1k per turn?  And i might bump his black strike tiles back up a bit.  

But i honestly don't think real 5* play (i.e. play when a player can choose from a deeper, 6+ bench of 5*s and has real options) would change much at all if he went to pre-nerf numbers WITH the 6ap yellow.   
    Yep. Panthos would eat him alive. XFW nerf should be overturned, as should OML.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, my thoughts on the nerf are pretty much the same now as they were then: I see the need for it as low cover OML was really, really common even in 2* and 3* MMR for PVP because of his healing, but even at the time he was being over-shadowed in the 5* tier, so it seemed like a nerf should have removed the usefulness of the yellow at low covers, but left the 4-5 cover strengths largely the same.  I still don't understand why they tweaked the other abilities like they did.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see him less than I used to, but I wouldn't say I saw him an over-bearing a lot before.  Haven't been a 5* player yet though.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    The only reason the nerf happened was because OML mitigated about 90% of the need for health packs when playing PVE and your initial climb in PVP. He still helps in that arena but not nearly as much as he did. He is frequently my 3rd dude when using Thanos and Strange in PVE to wipe nodes fast. Saves me from having to use too many health packs. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    madsalad said:
    The only reason the nerf happened was because OML mitigated about 90% of the need for health packs when playing PVE and your initial climb in PVP. He still helps in that arena but not nearly as much as he did. He is frequently my 3rd dude when using Thanos and Strange in PVE to wipe nodes fast. Saves me from having to use too many health packs. 
    100%. PvP players were particularly affected, needing to use more shields/healthpacks, and therefore more HP.

It’s no coincidence also that the newer characters have got more and more powerful in terms of damage.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    corytutor said:
    Lolol past. Pffft. 

Past says dont spend for fear of nerf
    Exactly this.  People spent thousands chasing Oml. Is gambit next up on the nerf bat? 

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    I spent for xforce and oml. A lot on oml. Due to classic dilution i only ever got to 420 before nerf and was forced to sale as he was my tank and could no longer compete. So for thousands of dollars i got a handful of tokens, most of which did nothing for my roster. 

• Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    OmL sucks! My 460 gets destroyed in PvP....maybe for newer players with lower mmr he might be ok but for the rest of use running two 5* he is just horrible....his heal is too weak now, his health is definitely too low, and the red is too weak transformed... I would rather use SL or DR Oct over OML and they suck too! 

Darknes21