The move to 5* Land

Options
thisone
thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
So, I have Bolt and Phoenix ready to roll.

I was planning to make the move after the anniversary, but I used Phoenix in LR and she seemed to get hit waaaay more than other characters I have used.

On paper this duo looks fine. But now I am a bit concerned about using her in PvP.

Currently, I can breeze to 900 with my 4*. I was led to believe hitting 1200 would now be possible with 2 X 5* but I am not convinced that is the case.

Any input would be nice. But it seems what I'd gain in story mode clears I'd lose more in PvP and roster diversity. 

Comments

• thisone
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Check out this thread https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67688/do-i-champ-a-5-if-im-in-the-4-transition#latest *shameless self-promotion*

With regards to your case, I'd def champ Black Bolt. Phoenix is a bit dicey, but if you want to play it safe, level her up to 360 or 390 and see how your PvP fares. LR isnt the most accurate gauge of using 5*; you'll get a clearer picture when you use her in other PvP or the SHIELD/Anniversary sim. But yes, Phoenix is definitely a highly-targeted character on defense: just save her for last, and her green becomes effectively useless.

I suggest having Bolt as your only 5* champ until you have another good 5* to pair with him, like Surfer, Gambit, or perhaps Thanos. Once you've done that, then you can make Phoenix your third 5* champ, since you'd already have two top-tier 5*. (Surfer by himself isnt exactly "top-tier", but he and Bolt make a beastly combo. Which doesn't come close to the Gambit-Bolt combo.)
    My Phoenix has a cover on the vine so I feel pressured to champ her. She's already leveled to high 300s.

I am saving for Gambit, though he is already 1/1/1. And trying to pull my last Surfer, he's at 5/2/5. Thanos is 4/3/2 and set as my BH.

Maybe I will sell my PHX cover and continue hoarding and playing in the 4* tier for now. Until I have a good partner for Bolt.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thisone said:
    Check out this thread https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67688/do-i-champ-a-5-if-im-in-the-4-transition#latest *shameless self-promotion*

With regards to your case, I'd def champ Black Bolt. Phoenix is a bit dicey, but if you want to play it safe, level her up to 360 or 390 and see how your PvP fares. LR isnt the most accurate gauge of using 5*; you'll get a clearer picture when you use her in other PvP or the SHIELD/Anniversary sim. But yes, Phoenix is definitely a highly-targeted character on defense: just save her for last, and her green becomes effectively useless.

I suggest having Bolt as your only 5* champ until you have another good 5* to pair with him, like Surfer, Gambit, or perhaps Thanos. Once you've done that, then you can make Phoenix your third 5* champ, since you'd already have two top-tier 5*. (Surfer by himself isnt exactly "top-tier", but he and Bolt make a beastly combo. Which doesn't come close to the Gambit-Bolt combo.)
    My Phoenix has a cover on the vine so I feel pressured to champ her. She's already leveled to high 300s.

I am saving for Gambit, though he is already 1/1/1. And trying to pull my last Surfer, he's at 5/2/5. Thanos is 4/3/2 and set as my BH.

Maybe I will sell my PHX cover and continue hoarding and playing in the 4* tier for now. Until I have a good partner for Bolt.
    Never, ever sell 5* covers when you can use the cover to champ.

The 4-5 transition will always be tough. Champ Phoenix, run her with a boosted 4*, hold off on leveling another 5 until you can champ that one, too.
  • thisone
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:

The 4-5 transition will always be tough. Champ Phoenix, run her with a boosted 4*, hold off on leveling another 5 until you can champ that one, too.
    Ok, I have decided. I will champ Phoenix and champ my Bolt to run with her. Got a fresh crop of 2* due to pay out soon so should be able to do both at the same time.
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:

Ok, I have decided. I will champ Phoenix and champ my Bolt to run with her. Got a fresh crop of 2* due to pay out soon so should be able to do both at the same time.
    Awesome!
    But be prepared for a rough transition with lots of health pack usage.
  • thisone
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:

Awesome!
    Thanks, I'm led to believe not to climb early or I will get smashed by the big kids. What's a realistic target each PvP? Usually I hit 900 should I settle for 575 for awhile then?

Simulator is another issue. Am I going to see only 5* now there too?
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:

Awesome!
    Thanks, I'm led to believe not to climb early or I will get smashed by the big kids. What's a realistic target each PvP? Usually I hit 900 should I settle for 575 for awhile then?

You want to aim for 1200 with two champed 5s.
    You get 900 just for showing up.
    Depending on what slice you play in, 1200 with two champed 5s is either incredibly easy or incredibly hard.

Your float point will be around 550, plan accordingly.
  • thisone
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:
    Bowgentle said:
    thisone said:

Awesome!

You want to aim for 1200 with two champed 5s.
    You get 900 just for showing up.
    Depending on what slice you play in, 1200 with two champed 5s is either incredibly easy or incredibly hard.

Your float point will be around 550, plan accordingly.
    That's a relief for sure. Would hate to miss out on my 4* covers for champ rewards :)

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Never sell a 5* cover, even if you cannot use it. Roster a dupe, you never know if/when there will be another nerf/update where you can sell it for a token like what happened to oml