Submit Your Questions For Q&A With Oktagon (10/10/17)

Options
13»

Comments

• Daddystyx
    Daddystyx Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1.  Booster Crafting non-dupe cards.
    2.  Reducing the refresh timers or the entire way the events happen by reducing the tethered time commitment to players with families and jobs.
    3.  Rebalancing pass on older cards like World Breaker to make them viable in some form of constructed play.  Small tweaks over time are better than massive ones to prevent unbalanced gameplay.
    4.  Current pricing model on cards for sale that has no possible redeeming value, unlike genuine magic cards.
    5.  Friends list.
    6.  A way to play live games against friends or coalition members for fun or very little runes.  This can help foster the development of new players with experienced ones teaching them through match play.
    7.  A greater incentive for mastering cards to enable new players to have resources needed to compete at platinum levels when they get there with their limited collections.
    8.  The ability to pass leadership to a member of choice in coalitions.

Leader of YouHave1Job (D3valued)
    #1 gameplay improvement family
  • tcochaos
    tcochaos Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm gonna echo everyone asking about booster crafting (and also a possible window for Ixalan's release as well), new types of events with new objectives, etc.

Will we ever see any sort of quality of life? Specifically showing the number of shields a support will have when you play it. Perhaps some sort of "bad luck prevention" when it comes to opening packs, letting you at least get new cards more frequently (so we wouldn't have to rely on booster crafting), and maybe preventing duplicate mythics/masterpieces in Mythic+ packs (saving time for the support team, since they wouldn't have to answer tickets), and maybe extending that to the bonus rare from Premium Packs as well. Maybe some better explanation of core game mechanics for new players.

Is there anything that can be done about loading times? My internet may not be the best, but it can sometimes take nearly two minutes to load the game (if there are no errors).

Will there be any more story in the future? The weekend coalition boss events would work perfectly as story instead. IMO, they're fun, but not really the best for doing over and over and over again. It could even be the same difficulty, and there would be no pressure to burn yourself out doing it, unlike the event (and it's only made worse by the shorter node refresh timer).

Now that we've switched to the Standard/Legacy formats, could there be price reductions for non-Standard sets? It's not like older cards have much of a purpose anymore anyway, but it would be helpful for players who didn't start playing until after those sets came out, especially if they want a more complete collection if and when Legacy does matter.

Can all sets in the current Standard rotation be available for purchase in the store? I have an overload of Hour of Devastation cards, but I would love the opportunity to get more Amonkhet cards when it's convenient to me. On a related note, will AKH and HOU be lumped into one pack like Kaladesh and Aether Revolt were?

And lastly, something not so serious: When it comes to development of new cards and mechanics, what's the most game-breaking bug that you've encountered?

Yes, I have a lot of questions. So do others. I don't care whether or not mine get answered specifically, but I hope some of these ideas are at least considered. Hope the transition is going as smoothly as possible, and I look forward to the future of MtGPQ.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Four questions:
    1. Is playtesting for cards planned in order to ensure that the cards are both useful when translated from paper magic version (see Aven Mindcesor) and balanced (in both Legacy and Standard - current and future?)
    2. Any plans in the planeswalker design to ensure both parasitic nature is avoided (see Nissa2) and balance (avoid format warping planeswalkers such as Koth)?
    3. Any plans in changing the objectives for the events to both promote diversity and avoid or penalize direct hate-decks against those objectives (creatureless vs. kill at least x creatures, burn vs. take x or less damage)?
    4. Any plans in setting up a clean standard regarding card wording closer to paper magic, and implementing this standard across all existing cards? (I already have a list compiled for Origins set for instance and proposals towards uniformizing them)
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My questions:
    1) what will the general intent be for booster crafting (not the exact implementation but the goal)

2) Will old PVE be added to story mode?

3) What can be done to keep certain planeswalkers relevant even when their sets rotate out (arlinn and chandra 2 specifically)

4) do you have plans for a regular form of communication with the players?
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options

Hello Oktagon.

There have been a lot of cards and Planeswalkers which were designed with no focus on the way the AI could use them. Some cards are absolutely unplayable by the AI or even harm his play when he uses them, and same goes for PW abilities. It's incredible to see a Gideon 3 "opponent" use 2nd ability to exile his only creature on board...

No one really complains because this makes easier games for the players. But wouldn't it produce a more interesting game if AI was more clever, or cards and ability designed so he can use them in a way that seems clever ?

You guys have probably played a bunch of games to discover it so here is my question : what did you think of the AI ?

• ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can we have a “Greg takes the wheel” mode where we can replay matches where the AI has played our decks and see how they hold up against human opponents?
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can we have quick battle or something that is similar back please
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Q1:  Was the previous documentation written in French?  Just curious, since Hibernium was based in Montreal.

Q2:  How many team members does Octagon have?  Have working on this project in the short term?  Long term?

• PsyBaby
    PsyBaby Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Personally I think the constant errors in the game and the Facebook problem need to be solved first. No enhancements or tweaks are worth anything if the game is unplayable or if you account is deleted.

Maybe the company could have it's own login for users with an account tied to your email and a password like most other games... If Facebook is going to be such a problem...or if someone prefers it that way.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Thank you so much for providing all of your questions for Oktagon. We'll begin collating and organizing all of these inquiries, prioritizing the most frequently asked and/or important ones, and relaying it to them tomorrow.

Once the developers have had a chance to review and answer them all, we'll post them in the forum for players to see. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.