Gone for Columbus Day (10/9/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to pop into the forum real quick to let everyone know that we will be out of office on October 9th in observance of Columbus Day.

As always, I'll try to stop by the forums every now and then to make sure everything is alright, and to answer any messages.

Cheers,
Brigby

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    The amount of holidays American's get is insane! It seems like its someone's day every other week! 
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Yeah but they get way less bookable "vacation" days. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The amount of holidays American's get is insane! It seems like its someone's day every other week! 
    Most American's don't get it as a holiday.  It's a joke they consider it.  Usually it's just government employees.  I don't think schools even get it.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Most American's don't get it as a holiday.  It's a joke they consider it.  Usually it's just government employees.  I don't think schools even get it.
    Incorrect. Schools definitely get it off.  And banks too...because...because....I don't think they do much in there anyway.  I can deposit checks to my accounts by taking a picture with my phone. Bank teller has to be a boring job. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where I live, only state and local government get the day off.  I'm writing this at work while my wife gets my kids to school.  It's really a travesty of a holiday anyway.  Wish they'd just cancel it.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I think it's a regional thing.  I'm in the Midwest and the kids are in school today.
  • bluewolf
    pheregas said:
    Where I live, only state and local government get the day off.  I'm writing this at work while my wife gets my kids to school.  It's really a travesty of a holiday anyway.  Wish they'd just cancel it.
    I wonder how much longer it will be honored.  I mean, no one wants to give up a day off, but I think in our lifetime it will either be changed to commemorate something else or just stopped. Many people are against it.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Teacher in Maryland here. We are in school today.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    broll said:
    Incorrect. Schools definitely get it off.  And banks too...because...because....I don't think they do much in there anyway.  I can deposit checks to my accounts by taking a picture with my phone. Bank teller has to be a boring job. 
    Teacher in Maryland here. We are in school today.
    I know I always had to go to school on Columbus day.  I looked it up:

Some government offices are closed because Columbus Day is still a federal government holiday. The day is a legal observance in states like Florida. ... Schools are not required to close but check with your school district or school calendar on Columbus Day school holiday closures.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    My school is in session as we speak. No day off for me.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Indigenous peoples day
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    broll said:
    As others have mentioned, schools absolutely do NOT get it automatically off.  Our school system has school today.
  • bluewolf
    I stand corrected, but schools around us are off today.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    NYC here - pretty much all non-essential government agencies/offices are closed. Non-essential meaning "It will kill no one if it gets taken care of tomorrow". So no public school, no garbage collection, no licenses being issued, etc.

Oh, but alternate side parking rules are still in effect, so yeah, the ticket-writing cop has to work today.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also worth noting, unless you're salaried at a place with decent benefits, most Americans that find themselves with a day off for a holiday also aren't getting paid for it. I've only had one job that's had paid holidays and it restricted them to about four a year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Fourth of July, I believe.) And because of the nature of that job, having the day off didn't reduce my workload — I still had to work the hours, they just got added on to the days before and after the holiday.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was finishing my degree, my school didn't get it off. #Midwest
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Based on the sneak peak thread i thought you were already gone.
  • frachr
    frachr Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Hmm. Got time to announce a day off, but no time for updating the the sneak peak thread. I'll guess, no playing during the holiday.  ;)
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    you guys get banker's holidays at D3?
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I'm glad you get off for Columbus day. I'm glad you called it by its traditional name. Thank you.